C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a used C6?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 02:20 PM
Spartan040
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a used C6?

Just realized I posted this question in the wrong section of the forum in my tired stupor last night.

I'm fairly new to Corvettes coming from the Mopar community (put down the torches and pitch forks thank you). I'm considering getting a used C6 as my first fun car early next year since I'm commissioning into the Air Force in August, going active in September. Lieutenants make decent money but not enough to comfortably afford a new Challenger 392 without stretching one's self too far financially, and I sort of want to wait until they bring out the next gen platform before buying one (whenever that actually happens). So, given that I'm single with no kids, I thought a cheaper used Corvette would be a great starter sports car, and probably more reliable than my current 2001 Durango with 173,000 miles on it.

I know the 2005-2007 models have the LS2 and 2008-2013 had the LS3, but how much real performance difference is there between the two? 30 crank horsepower isn't all that much. I don't plan on doing anything to the engine except bolt-on parts, a tune, and *maybe* a cam, plus new exhaust, so maybe the LS2 is the better buy for me? Also, how much power gain to the wheels would you get from throwing some factory LS3 heads onto the LS2, I heard you could do that.

Are there any particular years of the C6 I should watch out for?

I'm set on an automatic versus a stick because this will be my daily, and I *hate* driving stick in traffic. Is the 4 speed in the 2005 any good or should I spring for the 2006+ with the 6 speed?

What possible failure points specific to the Corvette in, under, and around the car do I need to look at before making the decision to buy?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:36 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

the HP diff really isn't even 30, as there are many reliable reports that the LS2 was slightly underrated so as not to make it look like GM held back on the preceding Z06 (405HP). so maybe 20 HP, 15 to the rear...no discernible diff. The diff in years can be significant, though, as there were improvement/changes made at varying intervals in the C6 run. You can view those in our FAQ section. Since you want an auto, the 2005 had the A4, a 4-spd auto, while '06-on had the A6, and that is a pretty good reason to get the '06, or newer. My first C6 was a 2008, which I later replaced with a 2012. I loved the 2008, and really love the '12. It is generally better to get a newer model if you can find one in your price range with reasonable miles.

I personally would not buy a C6 without the 3LT package, as you get HU, nav, heated memory seats, and a couple other things I forget.. The memory function in the seat is the bomb, for me.

Good luck with your search. If you have questions about a particular car you come across, we will all be willing to post our opinions....haha.
The following users liked this post:
bdougwrx (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 08:03 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,395 Posts

On the used car market you will find a price bump of about $2000 between a comparable 2007 and 2008, which is mostly because of the LS3. Nothing wrong with an LS2, but the LS3 was an all around improvement.

2008 is also the first year for the optional NPP Exhaust, which was a popular/awesome option. The lack of NPP exhaust wouldn't stop me from buying a car, but it's a nice addition. I feel the same way about HUD.

It's also a good idea to understand the different body styles between Base, Grand Sport and Z06.
bdougwrx (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 08:05 PM
agorena123
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

I just went through all the same questions you have having bought my C6 less than a month ago. While nothing wrong with LS2 the short version is LS3, 3LT, Z51, NPP if you can find it. You'll save $1- 2k if you can find private seller. Thoroughly inspect everything - tires, battery, key fobs, how it starts, seats, does it remember memory settings, targa top, look under front chin, wheels, etc. For the most part you'll find these cars well cared for but it will still be a 10+ year old car. Outside of some of the quirks these car have, you'll see plenty listed here on the forum, they are absolutely fantastic cars to drive. This is my first Corvette and I'm sold for life.
The following 2 users liked this post by agorena123:
bdougwrx (06-18-2019), buckmeister2 (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 09:32 PM
Spartan040
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by agorena123
I just went through all the same questions you have having bought my C6 less than a month ago. While nothing wrong with LS2 the short version is LS3, 3LT, Z51, NPP if you can find it. You'll save $1- 2k if you can find private seller. Thoroughly inspect everything - tires, battery, key fobs, how it starts, seats, does it remember memory settings, targa top, look under front chin, wheels, etc. For the most part you'll find these cars well cared for but it will still be a 10+ year old car. Outside of some of the quirks these car have, you'll see plenty listed here on the forum, they are absolutely fantastic cars to drive. This is my first Corvette and I'm sold for life.
Where should I look for the best deals on such a car, other than Autotrader? I'm trying to stick to 25k or less.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:38 PM
Josh M
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 212 Likes on 147 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19,'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
the HP diff really isn't even 30, as there are many reliable reports that the LS2 was slightly underrated so as not to make it look like GM held back on the preceding Z06 (405HP). so maybe 20 HP, 15 to the rear...no discernible diff. The diff in years can be significant, though, as there were improvement/changes made at varying intervals in the C6 run. You can view those in our FAQ section. Since you want an auto, the 2005 had the A4, a 4-spd auto, while '06-on had the A6, and that is a pretty good reason to get the '06, or newer. My first C6 was a 2008, which I later replaced with a 2012. I loved the 2008, and really love the '12. It is generally better to get a newer model if you can find one in your price range with reasonable miles.

I personally would not buy a C6 without the 3LT package, as you get HU, nav, heated memory seats, and a couple other things I forget.. The memory function in the seat is the bomb, for me.

Good luck with your search. If you have questions about a particular car you come across, we will all be willing to post our opinions....haha.
I have HU & nav in my c6z and its honestly pretty dated. I agree that the nav screen makes it definitely not look as old.......but I'm debating if I want to just replace it right now. I 100% would but I can't really hear anything on the radio because there are no cats on the car hah.

If I were to do it again I'd get the base model because at this point those things mentioned are not very good. My navigation system in my old 2001 Acura TL was better than the 1 in my C6. I'm also a single guy & I never use the memory seats even though I have them. However if you were married I can see how that would be a big benefit.
Steel City (06-19-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 09:39 PM
Josh M
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 212 Likes on 147 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19,'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Spartan040
Where should I look for the best deals on such a car, other than Autotrader? I'm trying to stick to 25k or less.
This forum is good, cargurus always has a lot of stuff. I found mine on vettefinder.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:31 PM
agorena123
Advanced

I did daily searches on Craigslist, autotrader, CarGurus, and here. Ended up finding it on Craigslist, expanded search to nearby cities. Found mine at really good price but needed some deferred maintenance - about $21k after sorting it out - the car I described in my reply 3LT, Z51 NPP with 6M and 63k mikes. With previously installed mods and tune, 466rwhp.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:45 AM
Spartan040
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by agorena123
I did daily searches on Craigslist, autotrader, CarGurus, and here. Ended up finding it on Craigslist, expanded search to nearby cities. Found mine at really good price but needed some deferred maintenance - about $21k after sorting it out - the car I described in my reply 3LT, Z51 NPP with 6M and 63k mikes. With previously installed mods and tune, 466rwhp.
Damn you got an amazing deal
Old 06-19-2019, 07:00 AM
Richard G.
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Just a reminder to look at the inside of the front tires for wear.
I did not see the wear of my 09 Corvette.
There was no tread on the inside 2 inches.
Had to buy front tires right after purchase.
It also needed alignment.
The excitement overwhelmed me.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:34 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,712 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I found mine on Autotrader, spent 6months looking for the right car. Try CarMax also
Old 06-19-2019, 07:55 AM
agorena123
Advanced

Originally Posted by Richard G.
The exact same thing happened to me as well, lol.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:05 AM
agorena123
Advanced

Damn you got an amazing deal
Texas is a big market and at least around here C6s can be really under appreciated so good deals pop up fairly often. I saw many good deals on LS2s for $20K and less from private sellers.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:08 AM
Spartan040
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Richard G.
Trust me I'm familiar with over-eager vehicle purchases without checking things out properly. That's how I ended up spending about $9,000 on my Durango over the last 3 years. I just kept thinking, surely this HAS to be the last repair, but nope, and by the time I realized it was going to continue I knew I was never going to get back what I paid for it
Old 06-19-2019, 09:23 AM
GM Owner
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh M
I have HU & nav in my c6z and its honestly pretty dated. I agree that the nav screen makes it definitely not look as old.......but I'm debating if I want to just replace it right now. I 100% would but I can't really hear anything on the radio because there are no cats on the car hah.

If I were to do it again I'd get the base model because at this point those things mentioned are not very good. My navigation system in my old 2001 Acura TL was better than the 1 in my C6. I'm also a single guy & I never use the memory seats even though I have them. However if you were married I can see how that would be a big benefit.
I agree . I usually buy my new vehicles "loaded" . When I was looking and bought my Corvette , I was looking the opposite way . I plan on keeping this car forever . When I am out driving it I don't really want all the extra stuff . I enjoy the car , I drive it so little , its a treat . I also didn't want a lot of extras that would be added problems . This is just my opinion and it works in my situation .
The following 2 users liked this post by GM Owner:
Steel City (06-19-2019), steig (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 10:04 AM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
I'm pretty sure the side air bags were part of the 3LT option (airbags in the seat)
Old 06-19-2019, 10:07 AM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

The GS coupe with stick is the best C6, most of the stuff from Z06, drysump, rear battery, etc. with LS3.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying a used C6?

Old 06-19-2019, 10:41 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by GM Owner
I agree . I usually buy my new vehicles "loaded" . When I was looking and bought my Corvette , I was looking the opposite way . I plan on keeping this car forever . When I am out driving it I don't really want all the extra stuff . I enjoy the car , I drive it so little , its a treat . I also didn't want a lot of extras that would be added problems . This is just my opinion and it works in my situation .
If you tend to keep your cars for a very long time, if possible skip all of those electronic options that will give you more problems as time goes by as those items are the first things to go out. The more stuff /options you have the more problems you end up with.
You can also just lease the car if you are one of those that likes to keep up on the latest stuff.
Steel City (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 10:43 AM
Shelstin
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't know where you are located, but Colorado Springs use to be one of the Corvette capitals of the world! Back in the day, the flyboys would buy Vettes. They would trade Vettes. Personally, I was asking the same questions 6 months ago. I ended up with a sweet deal on a 2012 4LT Grand Sport Centennial Edition. It had been wrecked, according to carfax, but I discovered it was only superficial front end damage. I am in awe every time I check prices that I got the deal that I did. I did have to put on some new tires to the tune of $1,370, but I knew that was an issue when I bought it.
Take your time. Get what you want from a color and options perspective. Don't settle. I am glad that I waited. I would buy something as new and as "optioned" as you can. Personally, even though you may pay a bit more, I like going through a dealer. Maybe that's just me, but I like having a bit of added security with the deal. I got a 90 day powertrain warranty, which is probably standard. It's not a lot, but it made me sleep a bit better for a few nights.

Last edited by Shelstin; 06-19-2019 at 10:45 AM.
agorena123 (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 11:03 AM
Function Racer
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 107 Posts

So I have a few inputs to add to the conversation.

1. Anyone who mentioned Car Max is absolutely insane. That is the retail stronghold of the used market, and is the last place I would search.
2. I traveled for my Corvette, and you can find a much better deal if you're willing to move for it.
3. I bought my 2010 Corvette Grand Sport (in Jetstream Blue) with 6MT, 42K miles, and Headers/Intake tuned for $27K out the door. The deals are out there, don't settle.
agorena123 (06-19-2019)

Quick Reply: Buying a used C6?