C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blackstone Labs

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 12:07 PM
LVance
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Blackstone Labs

I sent my first sample to Blackstone yesterday. I have an 2009 Z06 with 31000 miles so I am very interested in getting the report.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:41 PM
Trebor
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by LVance
I sent my first sample to Blackstone yesterday. I have an 2009 Z06 with 31000 miles so I am very interested in getting the report.
What is "blackstone labs" ?

Thanks
Old 06-25-2019, 01:50 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Trebor

Thanks
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

They perform oil analysis.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:56 PM
Cardinal Flyer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I've used Blackstone for close to 20 years for oil analysis on my Lycoming airplane engine. They have a huge database on aircraft engines that allows them to give you excellent comparison data to contrast with your engine's results. I imagine their database on our Corvette engines is equally "deep". The aircraft reports come with custom comments from an analyst viewing your results; based on identifying unusually high levels of specific types of metals in the oil I believe they saved me from engine failure at least twice.
Haven't used them for my Corvette engines simply because engine failure here isn't life-threatening; but I'll be very interested to hear the OP's comments after he gets his first report!
The following users liked this post:
LVance (06-27-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 06:13 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardinal Flyer
I've used Blackstone for close to 20 years for oil analysis on my Lycoming airplane engine. They have a huge database on aircraft engines that allows them to give you excellent comparison data to contrast with your engine's results. I imagine their database on our Corvette engines is equally "deep". The aircraft reports come with custom comments from an analyst viewing your results; based on identifying unusually high levels of specific types of metals in the oil I believe they saved me from engine failure at least twice.
Haven't used them for my Corvette engines simply because engine failure here isn't life-threatening; but I'll be very interested to hear the OP's comments after he gets his first report!
I think that it's standard practice, but do you cut the oil filters open for inspections?
Old 06-27-2019, 07:27 AM
Oldguychuck
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I have used Blackstone in the past and with excellent results. I would highly recommend them. They can let you know if there is a potential issue with certain metals being deposited in the oil. That can tell what parts are wearing and if its natural or you have an issue that needs attention. They will also let you know how much oil life and TBN you have left on your oil so you can predict when you need oil changes. I always just took a sample from the drained oil in the sample bottle they supplied and sent it in. They will send a very detailed printout of what is going on with your oil and engine with all metals and traces that show up in your oil. You can also call and ask about any questions you have about the test results. You can track an engine as it ages to see if all parts are aging the same or if you have some issue looming. You can also switch oil filters and see which is working better for your application. Again would highly recommend to get a baseline of what is happening with your engine and follow up every so often just to keep track if you do not want any surprises. It is not expensive and well worth it for peace of mind..
LVance (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 09:50 AM
Fletch F. Fletch
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 58 Posts

I've done this with my diesel truck before.

One very important thing to note, and they put it in the directions, is to take the sample from the stream while the oil is draining. Never take the sample from the drain pan that the oil drained in to.

And if I recall correctly, they say to take the sample during the middle of the drain -- not at the beginning, not at the end. I can't recall how I figured out the right time but I think I waited about 3 seconds or so after it got started, then stuck the sample bottle in to the stream.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:56 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

The question I have is what happens if the report comes back somewhat not normal....are you going to tear the engine down or just wait and worry about the report?

Personally think these reports are a lot of information that most people can't or wont ever use.

The reported failures of LS engines ( Z06's excluded and even those are rare) are so low it's really nothing to worry about IMO.

Last edited by R&L's C6; 06-27-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:56 PM
Cardinal Flyer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Absolutely check aircraft oil filters for particles!

Last edited by Cardinal Flyer; 06-27-2019 at 02:59 PM. Reason: added reason
Old 06-27-2019, 03:08 PM
LVance
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Trebor

Thanks
They give you a written analysis of your motor oil.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:36 PM
Chevyrelic
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by LVance
I would be interested in seeing your results. I haven’t used Blackstone for my vette, but I did when I had my 996 Porsche. All of the reports I sent in for that car came back as close to perfect as could be expected which helped to ease my mind wrt the IMSB issue that plagues those cars. Knowing the relative health of that engine was one reason I never did the IMSB retrofit. I figured the next owner could do it, lol.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:16 AM
danzio56
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 90 Posts

I've used Blackstone for years on my Powerstroke Diesel and my Harley. Several reports over the years on the diesel and only once on the Harley for peace of mind. The diesel has shown normal wear patterns for its age however the last report came back with higher levels of aluminum than previously reported and I could tell I was having a little bit of turbo surge anyway so this kind of confirmed my turbo may be on its way out. For this reason I decided to pull the DP Tuner chip I've been running for many years thinking that might have contributed to the slow demise of the turbo and so far I've had no more surge. I think an oil analysis is just another tool to help keep your engine in its best condition but if you follow the maintenance schedule and don't go nuts with performance upgrades it's probably not necessary for most of us. JMHO.
LVance (06-29-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Blackstone Labs

Quick Reply: Blackstone Labs