C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Smell 2006

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 12:17 PM
guistg1
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Fuel Smell 2006

Yes I've searched, yes I have replaced the left side fuel pump 7 months ago, yes i've checked and replace the gas cap.
With that out of the way.
Had the dreaded fuel smell as stated changed the fuel pump in December, FUEL SMELL WAS GONE.
The fuel smell has returned seemingly worse than before. Inside the car with windows closed or open!
Are the right side tank inserts known to leak?
I have not looked under the car yet, anyone have any other known issues?
Thank for any help
Old 07-11-2019, 12:36 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,766 Likes on 1,130 Posts

This? https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ty-recall.html
Old 07-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Good idea, but this '06 is out of warranty. How do I know? I confirmed this with GM when I had a gas smell in my '06 Z. Mine turned out to be a hole rubbed in the fuel line that goes from the driver's side fuel tank to the engine. Pretty easy thing to check prior to pulling tanks again.
I certainly wish the best to guistg1 Once this is fixed, please let us know what the source of the smell turns out to be.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:02 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,988 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by guistg1
Yes I've searched, yes I have replaced the left side fuel pump 7 months ago, yes i've checked and replace the gas cap.
With that out of the way.
Had the dreaded fuel smell as stated changed the fuel pump in December, FUEL SMELL WAS GONE.
The fuel smell has returned seemingly worse than before. Inside the car with windows closed or open!
Are the right side tank inserts known to leak?
I have not looked under the car yet, anyone have any other known issues?
Thank for any help
This is a all too common problem with the C6 Corvettes. GM has a TSB out on this issue but its only good for 10 yrs or 120,000 miles so this won't help you
Old 07-11-2019, 11:28 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,766 Likes on 1,130 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
Good idea, but this '06 is out of warranty. How do I know? I confirmed this with GM when I had a gas smell in my '06 Z. Mine turned out to be a hole rubbed in the fuel line that goes from the driver's side fuel tank to the engine. Pretty easy thing to check prior to pulling tanks again.
I certainly wish the best to guistg1 Once this is fixed, please let us know what the source of the smell turns out to be.
I did realize the OPs car is outside of the warranty period, but that doesn't mean that what is described in the sticky cant be the problem. Agreed there can be other causes. The OP asked if there were known issues. The cracked fitting is one of them.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:14 AM
guistg1
Instructor

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
I did realize the OPs car is outside of the warranty period, but that doesn't mean that what is described in the sticky cant be the problem. Agreed there can be other causes. The OP asked if there were known issues. The cracked fitting is one of them.

I, the OP, realize the car is out of warranty, I'm aware of the extended coverage bulletin, that's NOT the issue as I have stated I HAVE REPLACED the LEFT side fuel pump assembly, the picture floating around this forum of the crack in the fitting with the screwdriver in it is MY CAR.
As stated originally I have replaced the left side pump, the smell was GONE. It has returned

My question is:

Is the right side tank insert a known problem? It must be made from the same material.
Any OTHER known problems I should look for?
Will be crawling under the car tomorrow
Thanks for any help
Old 07-13-2019, 08:45 AM
SquareHead
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Long shot, here, but is it possibly you have a fried cat? Have you done anything to the exhaust? Removed/installed resonators?

You sound like you are know what you are doing, so I am just thinking outside the box.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:57 PM
guistg1
Instructor

Originally Posted by SquareHead
Long shot, here, but is it possibly you have a fried cat? Have you done anything to the exhaust? Removed/installed resonators?

You sound like you are know what you are doing, so I am just thinking outside the box.
Car is completely stock did not touch exhaust other than to get it out of the way to drop the tank.
The smell is truly raw fuel.
Going to crawl under later today when the temp drops under 110deg
Thanks
Old 07-14-2019, 09:00 PM
ProCycle
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 63 Posts

If you can't find the problem visually, a shop that does emission testing can use their sniffer to help pinpoint the source. Raw gas is 'unburned hydrocarbons' - exactly what the emission tester is designed to sense.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:06 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

Best of luck with a cure.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:11 PM
guistg1
Instructor

Took the car for a ride, freeway and city, couldn't smell anything. Put it back in the garage crawled under and over it couldn't smell fuel anywhere?
Going to keep looking

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Smell 2006

Quick Reply: Fuel Smell 2006