C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this the end of the YOU LUZE Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 07:31 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Default Is this the end of the YOU LUZE Corvette?

Yes, I had another incident with my car on the 3rd day of the new job I just started here in Arizona. I was about 1000 feet from the exit to get to my job, and was following behind a cement truck at about 55 mph. I was getting ready to exit when I saw a shadow under the truck, and a couple of seconds later realized it was a 10" round mini boulder that the truck had just passed over. I did everything I could to try to avoid it, but had a car to the left, nowhere to go on the right as there was a ditch on that side, and ended up hitting the rock dead center on my front bumper. My car was hopping around as this thing was working its way underneath my car, and what seemed like hours later finally shot out the rear of my car into the lane next to me where I saw a Honda or Toyota fighting the same problem I'd just gone through.

My car is now at Classic Gold Auto Center in Tempe on recommendation from forum members HOXXOH and SixAddict. I managed to limp the car to my work as it was only about a half mile off the freeway, and I didn't even notice anything wrong on the gauges until I stopped at a red light and the temp gauge started shooting up. By the time I parked the car it was near the danger zone on the temp gauge, and had it towed to the shop. I had to pull the car out of the parking garage at my job later that day because the tow truck would not have been able to make it past the clearance bars, and as soon as I parked it outside I noticed the smell of burning oil.

When I checked under the hood once I'd first parked it yesterday morning I noticed the radiator was crushed, the fans were whining, but not spinning, and the radiator cover was broken from its mounting points, which tells me the radiator cage was damaged as well. After talking to one of the shop owners the floor pans on one or both sides are most likely damaged, the exhaust is probably damaged as well, and it's also possible that the trans, gas tanks, and rear end could also have been hit. Considering what this car has already been through, and the possible amount of damage that this mini boulder caused to the underside of my car, I'm worried that come Tuesday when the adjuster shows up to inspect the car that he will end up totaling it. I have literally spent hundreds of hours over the past 3-1/2 years building and polishing this car to show winning condition, and am dreading to see my labor of love turned into a salvage vehicle. Here are some pics of the little I could get without having the car on a lift:

Last edited by Corvette_Ed; 07-13-2019 at 07:32 PM.

Popular Reply

08-16-2019, 08:04 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Annnnnd she's back!!

Just got home from a very nice drive from the shop. Had a motorcycle cop cruise up next to me in the HOV lane and slow down to take a really good look at my car before he sped up to head on his way, and had a guy in a heavily built Challenger pull up next to me and give me a thumbs up. The headers sound incredible. I actually turned my radio down on the way home just so I could listen to them roar!

It feels good to be back where I belong.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:39 PM
tstad9i1
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Wow, that sounds like some major damage. Hopefully you'll get the outcome you want with your insurance company.

Where did this happen? Were you on the 15? I need to drive clear of that area.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:42 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by tstad9i1
Wow, that sounds like some major damage. Hopefully you'll get the outcome you want with your insurance company.

Where did this happen? Were you on the 15? I need to drive clear of that area.
I was on 17 two exits north of 101. The rock had to have just been dropped by a truck or there would have been a major traffic jam from people trying to avoid it. Just my luck that I was the first to hit it.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:04 PM
Fulltiltboogie
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 🙈🙈🙈

Wtf!! I’m so sorry that happened!!! Sincerely wish you Best of luck!
Hope everything work out in the end!!!
Old 07-13-2019, 09:38 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Wow it seems that your car is a target - sorry for your misfortune!
Old 07-13-2019, 09:43 PM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

Damn Ed. Just damn!
Old 07-13-2019, 09:45 PM
OlyC6
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17, '19

You have had one stretch of bad luck... sorry for your troubles!
Old 07-13-2019, 10:25 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

that's a really hard situation, if you stay positive and work it to your best ability im sure u can come out with an even better car
Old 07-14-2019, 01:25 AM
madsonp
Safety Car

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Damn, that sucks, I almost had something similar happen to me with a chunk of firewood about 6" in diameter and about 18" long that fell out of someone's vehicle and was laying in the middle of the lane I was in, the pickup truck ahead of me passed right over it, and luckily I saw it in time, and had enough room to swerve around it. I could only imagine the damage that would of done, especially if it got kicked up on its end while under my car. For that reason I now always try to give myself plenty of room between myself and the car ahead of me, so I can see things like that sooner.

Last edited by madsonp; 07-14-2019 at 01:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
enventr (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 02:19 AM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

It's telling you to turn it into a track car. Pick up a Kia as a DD, and I bet nothing ever happens to it. Nothing beside you dying of boredom while driving it.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:05 AM
ontime
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 85 Posts

If they offer to total it take the money and run.. You need an armored tank on the highway anymore. If you spent all this time polishing it to show car condition why are you driving it every day?
Old 07-14-2019, 11:15 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,651 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Holy crap! I am beginning to believe your car may truly be cursed.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:16 AM
jjfabs
Pro

Received 257 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by madsonp
Damn, that sucks, I almost had something similar happen to me with a chunk of firewood about 6" in diameter and about 18" long that fell out of someone's vehicle and was laying in the middle of the lane I was in, the pickup truck ahead of me passed right over it, and luckily I saw it in time, and had enough room to swerve around it. I could only imagine the damage that would of done, especially if it got kicked up on its end while under my car. For that reason I now always try to give myself plenty of room between myself and the car ahead of me, so I can see things like that sooner.
It sure does suck. I also always try to drive with plenty of room around me, especially in front. Of course as soon as you leave a little space in front someone just has to get in that space.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:34 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,651 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Originally Posted by jjfabs
It sure does suck. I also always try to drive with plenty of room around me, especially in front. Of course as soon as you leave a little space in front someone just has to get in that space.
Absolutely true, but all you have to do is slow down a little to regain the space. It's certainly the better option than getting upset; it's just not worth it.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:28 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

I make a point when to give plenty of room for anyone in front of me, especially trucks. I remember a car in front of me kicking up a tire tread from a semi right in front of me, it sure dinged up the front of my Camaro. It occurred to me to be much more careful on my motorcycle. Today I ride with lots of space in front me. Unfortunately with increased speed enforcement it's much harder to drive away from traffic and much more of a challenge keeping distance in traffic and not having someone to take your space. And of course, I notice the police being among the worst of offenders.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:22 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by ontime
If they offer to total it take the money and run.. You need an armored tank on the highway anymore. If you spent all this time polishing it to show car condition why are you driving it every day?
Because I want to enjoy driving my car, and not just watch it sit at car shows. Before I moved to Arizona I used to take it to the drag strip too. I bought my car to enjoy it, which I do as often as possible.

Last edited by Corvette_Ed; 07-14-2019 at 01:39 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Corvette_Ed:
Shelstin (07-17-2019), sonik_fury (07-15-2019), SPSandman (07-15-2019), TomdaToolman (08-06-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 01:23 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by LowRyter
I make a point when to give plenty of room for anyone in front of me, especially trucks. I remember a car in front of me kicking up a tire tread from a semi right in front of me, it sure dinged up the front of my Camaro. It occurred to me to be much more careful on my motorcycle. Today I ride with lots of space in front me. Unfortunately with increased speed enforcement it's much harder to drive away from traffic and much more of a challenge keeping distance in traffic and not having someone to take your space. And of course, I notice the police being among the worst of offenders.
I had plenty of room between me and the truck, I just didn't have anywhere to go to avoid the rock. There was traffic to my left, and a ditch to my right.

Get notified of new replies

To Is this the end of the YOU LUZE Corvette?

Old 07-14-2019, 08:12 PM
jjfabs
Pro

Received 257 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Because I want to enjoy driving my car, and not just watch it sit at car shows. Before I moved to Arizona I used to take it to the drag strip too. I bought my car to enjoy it, which I do as often as possible.
I'm with you, I love driving my car. S**t happens, sorry it happened to you.
Corvette_Ed (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 10:17 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

The shop I took the car to will be doing its own inspection tomorrow to determine what they see as the damage done to the car before the insurance adjuster shows up on Tuesday. I'll post up their findings tomorrow after I get home from work. I just wish I was working hours that would allow me to take pictures once they have it up on the lift.

Last edited by Corvette_Ed; 07-14-2019 at 10:18 PM.
jimijam (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 10:24 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

^ I'm sorry to hear you are not feeling well and had to call out sick tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Is this the end of the YOU LUZE Corvette?