C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can You Wet Sand And Polish Out A Headlight Lens? pic

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 09:08 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by BackInBlack05
I read enough to know you weren't getting the answer you wanted to hear.

No I didn't because nothing was definitive. However being some members did it and said it did work I would have to assume it does and everybody who got crappy results did it wrong although there seems to be only one way to do it so I really don't know how some have better results than others.

Last edited by Oh Boy; 07-18-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:20 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Wow, watta thread.

I hope I make it to the nursing home before my lenses go bad. At any rate, it's interesting none the less.

It's sure a lot different than going to Noah's Ark and buying a new "sealed beam" for $1.59 and then 5 minutes to install. I got so I could align my headlights on my dad's garage door from 15 or 20 feet away and they were good -- always passed inspection.

Another tip I learned which won't help anybody today: After aligning, go out for a drive and if even one car flicks his lights at you when you're on low beam, you know they're a bit high.

My brain is overloaded with what ends up being a bunch of useless knowledge.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:14 AM
BackInBlack05
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Oh Boy
No I didn't because nothing was definitive. However being some members did it and said it did work I would have to assume it does and everybody who got crappy results did it wrong although there seems to be only one way to do it so I really don't know how some have better results than others.
You don't think maybe they start with different degrees of disrepair?

It works fabulous. You'll be amazed at the result. Just follow the youtube. A child could do it. They use it on the space shuttle.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:17 AM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

Wait! What? You mean this IS rocket science?
The following users liked this post:
NBVette_Canada (12-04-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 12:27 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by jimijam
Wait! What? You mean this IS rocket science?
The following 2 users liked this post by Bruze:
jimijam (07-19-2019), wjnjr (07-19-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 08:29 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Yes you can wet sand and buff out the lenses. But you need a good high speed buffer and not one of those wimpy orbital pieces of crap. But with that said you better know how to use it. You can F#$K up a good paint job in nothing flat if you get too cocky with a high speed buffer. The problem you will ultimately run across is how to keep the results you obtain. I buff out the lenses on my wife's Acura about every 6 months. They look very close to new, but not quite. The problem is that I have yet to find anything that will keep them looking good for very long. Sure there are a lot of over-the-counter products that say the keep them looking good for months, but I have yet to fine one that works. It's the damn sun....it kills the lenses......
Old 07-21-2019, 09:23 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by BackInBlack05
I read enough to know you weren't getting the answer you wanted to hear.

I said my experience echoes Ed's when I had it done. Looked better (no more peeling coating) for a short while, but the flaws (crazing) well into the lens plastic was pretty obvious upon inspection.

That there's so many discussions of replacing lenses should make it apparent that for most it's not amatter of scraping (the factory coating), sanding, polishing (and possibly coating). Those who have formulated superior aftermarket lenses have addresses the shortcoming of the stock lenses. These weren't developed just because folks were lazy and didn't want to sand/polish per youtube or infomercials.

If your car was routinely stored indoors, your results may be different.

Not sure what "number of hits" has to do with the number of headlight lens discussions.
I have to agree with this as sanding the surface of the lenses still doesn't address the underlying issue of the crazing that happens in the layer between the upper and lower coatings on the lenses. This can't be sanded away, and can only be resolved by either replacing the lenses, or replacing the headlights with an aftermarket upgrade. I opted to go with the Morimoto headlights from Umnitza (which I absolutely love btw) that only cost me about $300 more than replacing the lenses would (and I had them on my doorstep in a week), and ended up selling my original headlights to another Vette owner who was sending his out to have the lenses replaced, and needed something to use until he received his originals back. The only thing you have to lose if you choose to try sanding is time, but you'll wish you had it back when you don't get the results you expect. I have used the 3M kit on another car, as I have already mentioned, but recognized right away that the same solution does not work on the C6 because of the substandard quality of the plastic used on the OEM headlights. I have been on these forums for a long time, have been providing advice based on my own personal experience that others have appreciated, and would never steer anyone wrong when it comes to things like this. Take it for what you will.
The following 2 users liked this post by Corvette_Ed:
Cherokee Nation (07-22-2019), cmonkey713 (12-04-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 11:42 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I have to agree with this as sanding the surface of the lenses still doesn't address the underlying issue of the crazing that happens in the layer between the upper and lower coatings on the lenses. This can't be sanded away, and can only be resolved by either replacing the lenses, or replacing the headlights with an aftermarket upgrade. I opted to go with the Morimoto headlights from Umnitza (which I absolutely love btw) that only cost me about $300 more than replacing the lenses would (and I had them on my doorstep in a week), and ended up selling my original headlights to another Vette owner who was sending his out to have the lenses replaced, and needed something to use until he received his originals back. The only thing you have to lose if you choose to try sanding is time, but you'll wish you had it back when you don't get the results you expect. I have used the 3M kit on another car, as I have already mentioned, but recognized right away that the same solution does not work on the C6 because of the substandard quality of the plastic used on the OEM headlights. I have been on these forums for a long time, have been providing advice based on my own personal experience that others have appreciated, and would never steer anyone wrong when it comes to things like this. Take it for what you will.
How many times are we going to go over this and you keep bringing it up. I don't have crazing! How many times do I have to say it.I have de-laminating two totally different things.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:17 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

How many times are we going to go over this and you keep bringing it up. I don't have crazing! How many times do I have to say it.I have de-laminating two totally different things.
And I have already said that if you're lenses are delaminating that you are also facing crazing. I have also said good luck with the 3M, but in my very experienced opinion, it's not going to be enough. I really hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:22 AM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

How many times are we going to go over this
I'm guessing, about 8 more months.

NBVette_Canada (12-04-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 12:25 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by jimijam
I'm guessing, about 8 more months.

8? That is a very interesting choice. Any reason?
jimijam (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 12:30 AM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by owc6
8? That is a very interesting choice. Any reason?
Well, my favorite number is 3. But I figured there was no way this would be over by the end of October. That took me to winter setting in just about everywhere in North-North America, so I figured it would have to be a spring time project. That took me to the end of March, so 8 months. Buy that?
Old 07-22-2019, 12:38 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Well, that is as good a reason as I have ever heard.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:37 AM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
And I have already said that if you're lenses are delaminating that you are also facing crazing. I have also said good luck with the 3M, but in my very experienced opinion, it's not going to be enough. I really hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.
Again did you look at my pictures? I don't know how you come to the assumption that de-lamination and crazing are equated. My lenses are crystal clear other then that slight peeling.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:57 AM
jkduty
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

So where are we now, what did you end up doing?? I have this same sort of peeling on my lenses, and stuck between buying new aftermarket lenses, or pulling the trigger on the Morimoto C7 style lights. Would be awesome if the peeling could be fixed with a good, aggressive polish...
Old 12-04-2019, 11:10 AM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by jkduty
So where are we now, what did you end up doing?? I have this same sort of peeling on my lenses, and stuck between buying new aftermarket lenses, or pulling the trigger on the Morimoto C7 style lights. Would be awesome if the peeling could be fixed with a good, aggressive polish...
I believe he fixed it by getting a C7.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:21 AM
jkduty
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SPSandman
I believe he fixed it by getting a C7.

Get notified of new replies

To Can You Wet Sand And Polish Out A Headlight Lens? pic

Old 12-04-2019, 12:01 PM
OregonMike
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

I wet sanded mine when I first bought it. Went with one of the detailing shop's recommendations on grit: use the least amount of sanding as you can to get the scratches/cloudiness out. I started at 1,200 maybe and worked my way all the down to 220 or 320 before the one started to clear up. Worked my way back up to 2,000 maybe? 4,000? Then polishing. I posted about it back when I did it. Don't remember the details now 2 or 3 years later

Last edited by OregonMike; 12-04-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:51 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,787 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonMike
I wet sanded mine when I first bought it. Went with one of the detailing shop's recommendations on grit: use the least amount of sanding as you can to get the scratches/cloudiness out. I started at 1,200 maybe and worked my way all the down to 220 or 320 before the one started to clear up. Worked my way back up to 2,000 maybe? 4,000? Then polishing. I posted about it back when I did it. Don't remember the details now 2 or 3 years later
So, is the last pic the way it looks now after 2 or 3 years? If so, that's the way to go.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:31 PM
OregonMike
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
So, is the last pic the way it looks now after 2 or 3 years? If so, that's the way to go.
It is not. That's from when I finished. I did not clear coat it and they don't look that good now. I'll see if I can find a recent shot of the front.
On edit:
This is from March of this year, not a great shot of them but it's still pretty clear.

Last edited by OregonMike; 12-04-2019 at 03:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Can You Wet Sand And Polish Out A Headlight Lens? pic