C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can You Wet Sand And Polish Out A Headlight Lens? pic

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 08:19 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts
Default Can You Wet Sand And Polish Out A Headlight Lens? pic

After watching countless videos of the 3M lens restoration kit is the C6 lens any different than other cars. Nobody on here ever mentions this kit. 500 grit-800 grit-3000 grit and then rubbing compound to clear it up. I have a little peeling on my passenger side I would like to fix.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:22 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

The reason you don't hear about this much with C6 headlights is because most of the damage is caused from crazing, and not just surface damage. Crazing is damage that occurs between the upper and lower layers of the lens, which can't be fixed by just sanding the top layer. If your damage is truly just on the top layer than I'd suggest using the 3M kit to fix it, followed by a regular regimen of wax and/or protectant.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:53 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

What is crazing? Mine just looks like it is peeling, You can barely catch your fingernail on it. Almost looks like when clear coat is peeing from a car.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:56 PM
rrmdeuce
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Take a close look at them, a lot of times the inside is also cloudy, so if you go that far might as well install new lenses, it’s a total PITA but worth it when it’s done..
Old 07-14-2019, 10:03 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rrmdeuce
Take a close look at them, a lot of times the inside is also cloudy, so if you go that far might as well install new lenses, it’s a total PITA but worth it when it’s done..
What I want to do is not far, looks to be about 15 minutes of my time from the videos. Replacing the lenses, I don't want to go there.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:10 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by Oh Boy
What I want to do is not far, looks to be about 15 minutes of my time from the videos. Replacing the lenses, I don't want to go there.
I truly hope your problem is nothing more than a surface problem, but my experience, and those of most C6 owners is that the problem is more than just "skin deep" when it comes to headlight issues. This is why I ended up buying new headlights with UV protection that the original headlights didn't have. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:10 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

I don't want anything to do with spraying clear coat, I just want to sand and polish out the lens like in the 3m videos. I have searched this forum and haven't found one thread on this method. How could there be a zillion videos on restoring plastic lenses but not one for a C6. Are these magic lenses that are impervious to sandpaper and polishing compound?
Old 07-14-2019, 10:11 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

Received 666 Likes on 275 Posts

I can’t verify personally, but I’ve heard a lot of people using mothers mag polish on them with great results???

Several videos on it

The following users liked this post:
BabyBlueVert (12-07-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 10:11 PM
rrmdeuce
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Agreed, nothing to lose. If you don’t get the finish you want then you can make the next move plus you’ll have the materials for your other car.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:13 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

I don't want anything to do with spraying clear coat, I just want to sand and polish out the lens like in the 3m videos. I have searched this forum and haven't found one thread on this method. How could there be a zillion videos on restoring plastic lenses but not one for a C6. Are these magic lenses that are impervious to sandpaper and polishing compound?
My previous daily driver was a 20007 Hyundai Tiburun SE. I was able to polish out the headlights twice while I owned it. I've owned my Vette even longer, and have found that the same methods do not work on the Vette headlights, and ended up replacing the headlights instead. The only other option I considered was replacing the lenses with UV resistant replacements.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:24 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Not a C6 but a plastic lens none the less. What's so hard? Sand and compound. Does this not work on a C6? This is obviuosly after sanding.

Last edited by Oh Boy; 07-14-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:32 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

my wife has the same issue on her 2012 GS....would like to know how the 3M works
Old 07-14-2019, 11:00 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,766 Likes on 1,130 Posts

Can't speak for the C6 lenses, but I've used Weiman glass cook top cleaner with great results on a 17 year old Audis lenses which everyone figured were toast. Hand polishing with this stuff was all it took. Have also used it on our 12 year old Honda with similar results. You pretty much need to redo it every few months, but it only takes me 10 minutes. The Weiman stuff is very inexpensive. Way cheaper than replacing the lenses.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:03 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

If the lenses are crazed then they have tiny cracks, which go below the surface. How can you polish them out? It's not like polishing a painted surface to make it shine.

I would look at them with a magnifier to get a better idea.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:09 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
Can't speak for the C6 lenses, but I've used Weiman glass cook top cleaner with great results on a 17 year old Audis lenses which everyone figured were toast. Hand polishing with this stuff was all it took. Have also used it on our 12 year old Honda with similar results. You pretty much need to redo it every few months, but it only takes me 10 minutes. The Weiman stuff is very inexpensive. Way cheaper than replacing the lenses.

different issue...we are talking laminated lenses

Originally Posted by Bruze
If the lenses are crazed then they have tiny cracks, which go below the surface. How can you polish them out? It's not like polishing a painted surface to make it shine.

these are peeling....as mentioned my wifes 12 is doing this, my 07Z had the crazing and all that going on. I replaced my lenses. Totally different issues
Bruze (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 11:15 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bruze

Cool, if thats what's meant by crazing, I definitely have none of that. Mine seems to be de-laminating at the very top layer. I don't see why I can't just sand it out then polish. I was hoping somebody already did this so I could get some pointers and not ruin anything. I may have to be the guinea pig.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:18 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Cool, if thats what's meant by crazing, I definitely have none of that. Mine seems to be de-laminating at the very top layer. I don't see why I can't just sand it out then polish. I was hoping somebody already did this so I could get some pointers and not ruin anything. I may have to be the guinea pig.
yes, my wife was trying to get hers replaced under her bumper to bumper even though they say lenses are not covered.

I replaced mine but they were crazing not peeling. I admit its scary and I too am waiting for the guinea pig that being said if and when it gets so bad I will be at the "what do I have to lose" point. I already know how to replace the lens, this would be easier.

Get notified of new replies

To Can You Wet Sand And Polish Out A Headlight Lens? pic

Old 07-14-2019, 11:42 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by pewter99
yes, my wife was trying to get hers replaced under her bumper to bumper even though they say lenses are not covered.

I replaced mine but they were crazing not peeling. I admit its scary and I too am waiting for the guinea pig that being said if and when it gets so bad I will be at the "what do I have to lose" point. I already know how to replace the lens, this would be easier.
I bought my '13 GS new. With 1 month left on the bumper to bumper (2016) I complained about a slight fogging on the inside of the lens and they did replace the headlights. Two years later the passenger side started to delaminate and I have a slight fogging on the inside again. So two sets of headlights since new, both crap. But anyways yes the 3M is supposed to be the best on the market and the easiest. Watch any video review, it gets raves.
pewter99 (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 11:46 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran

so you gonna give it a shot or wait a bit longer??
Old 07-14-2019, 11:50 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I actually used the 3M kit on my '05 a few years ago, and it helped quite a bit for the outside surface, but! Holy crap! there is a lot on the inside of the lenses, too!

Poor Bertha!

She's like 180 years old in car years.

Quick Reply: Can You Wet Sand And Polish Out A Headlight Lens? pic