C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions - Replacing factory radio with factory NAV head radio

Old 07-18-2019, 10:39 PM
michaelcozman
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Questions - Replacing factory radio with factory NAV head radio

I have a 2007 Corvette base model with the factory non nav radio. My radio stopped working today. I would like to replace it with a used factory Nav head to keep the stock factory look. I see factory Nav heads for sale and It seeks like a easy swap. I have some concerns about the radio security code. I also heard that the radio is programmed to the original car through the VIN,

What does the disc do for the NAV Radio, I see some units for sale without the dics. is this easy to get a replacement disc?

Can somebody help me understand what is involved in swapping my factory radio out for a factory NAV head?

Thank you,
Michael.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:43 PM
Sphurley
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

You will need a factory GPS for the nav system to work. Is it included in the used head units? You will need a Tech II to program in the new radio.
Do you currently have the Bose system and XM radio? The disk is the MAPs. They update them about every year.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:40 AM
madsonp
Safety Car

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,164 Posts

You'd be better off buying an aftermarket system, much more up to date, and more features.

Last edited by madsonp; 07-19-2019 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-19-2019, 07:20 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Although I have kept the OEM Nav unit in my car, with the above. The aftermarket units are latest technology, much more intuitive to operate, etc.
The OEM unit can be swapped into a non-Bose system with not much issues. As mentioned, You would have to get the Nav unit matched to your Vin #. That can be done by someone with a TechII or at a dealer (usually 1 hour labor cost)
The Nav DVD last update, and likely the last one is from 2016-2017.
I have attached the PDF of the process and what is needed to make the swap and to have the Nav unit operate correctly.
You may opt for the aftermarket.

Good Luck in your decision.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:32 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by madsonp
You'd be better of buying an aftermarket system, much more up to date, and more features.
The following users liked this post:
michaelcozman (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 10:31 AM
michaelcozman
7th Gear

Thank you for the info Sphurly.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:32 AM
michaelcozman
7th Gear

Thank you for the info Madsonp. I starting looking at aftermarket and I was impressed with whats available on the market now. I believe I will look at aftermarket as an option as well.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:38 AM
michaelcozman
7th Gear

Thank you for the info and the pdf 4Sumerz, much appreciated. Are the pdf instructions much different if I have a Bose system vs. non Bose? After doing some research last night. I am going to also look at aftermarket heads. I do like factory looking components, but I am open to modern features too. One of the reasons for putting a factory NAV head as a replacement was to pull the old unit and install the new one using the same wiring and just adding the GPS antenna .
Old 07-19-2019, 11:09 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelcozman
One of the reasons for putting a factory NAV head as a replacement was to pull the old unit and install the new one using the same wiring and just adding the GPS antenna .
With the correct wring interface/harness, it's very easy to install an aftermarket head unit. You attach the wiring interface to the new head unit and then it is pretty much plug and play with your cars wiring harness. If you go aftermarket, I recommend to consider adding a backup camera also. Very easy to do while installing a head unit and is a nice feature to have in a C6.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:20 AM
madsonp
Safety Car

Thank you for the info and the pdf 4Sumerz, much appreciated. Are the pdf instructions much different if I have a Bose system vs. non Bose? After doing some research last night. I am going to also look at aftermarket heads. I do like factory looking components, but I am open to modern features too. One of the reasons for putting a factory NAV head as a replacement was to pull the old unit and install the new one using the same wiring and just adding the GPS antenna .
The most popular aftermarket stereos people use are Pioneer, Kenwood, or Alpine, I personally have, what at the time, was the top of the line Pioneer AVIC-8200 NEX system in mine, which has since been replaced with the AVIC W8500 NEX The aftermarket systems just plug into the factory stereo connectors via an interface such as this which is the most commonly used one https://www.crutchfield.com/p_541RP5....html?skipvs=T so alls you need to do is wire the aftermarket stereo harness up to the interface, then everything pretty much just plugs into the factory connectors. Crutchfield will even make the harness up for you if you'd like, then alls you'd need to do is install the aftermarket GPS antenna (most people place it under the top part of the dash) and if you get the add on XM tuner https://www.crutchfield.com/p_220SXV....html?skipvs=T which plugs into XM ready stereos (which most of the good ones are) you'd also need to either mount the XM antenna that came with it (there again, most people install it under the top part of the dash) or if your factory stereo had XM, I can tell you how to adapt the new XM tuner to the stock XM antenna. Then like Fred mentioned, there's the cameras, on my system you can connect up to two cameras, I have one on the back of the car for a backup camera that automatically comes on when the car is put in reverse, I also have one on the front of the car to use when parking so I can see how close I am to parking blocks to avoid front end damage. So, yes, overall you're better off going aftermarket by far.

Last edited by madsonp; 07-19-2019 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-19-2019, 11:22 AM
michaelcozman
7th Gear

Thanks for information TorchRedFred. I do like the idea of a backup camera. I would also love to have a front camera. I will look into these options for the aftermarket head. The idea of going to a factory Nav head sounds like a pain with having to reprogram the radio with the VIN information along with an extra $250.00 or so to do the programming.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:29 AM
michaelcozman
7th Gear

Great Information Madsonp. i will look at Crutchfield this weekend and see what's available. I do have the factory XM antenna on the vette that I would love to use on the new radio. I think the antennas work pretty good for my area in Silicon Valley. I will check out the links you sent too. All this information is really helping me out.

Thank you.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:38 AM
madsonp
Safety Car

Great Information Madsonp. i will look at Crutchfield this weekend and see what's available. I do have the factory XM antenna on the vette that I would love to use on the new radio. I think the antennas work pretty good for my area in Silicon Valley. I will check out the links you sent too. All this information is really helping me out.

Thank you.
Here's a writeup I did on reusing the factory XM antenna, if you're interested in reading it. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-xm-tuner.html
Old 07-19-2019, 11:49 AM
michaelcozman
7th Gear

Thank you for the write up. Much appreciated.

Get notified of new replies

To Questions - Replacing factory radio with factory NAV head radio

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions - Replacing factory radio with factory NAV head radio