C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Grand Sport ATC/AHS Problem with Check Eng Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 01:03 PM
Gjcindc
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2013 Grand Sport ATC/AHS Problem with Check Eng Light

Hi,

New member here and also new Corvette owner. I took the car for an uneventful ride recently. Parked for dinner and all was well. When I started the car about an hour later, I got the "Active Traction Control System Needs Service" message, the "Active Handling System Needs Service" message and a check engine light at all on startup. The biggest immediate problem was the car was skipping very badly. The whole way home, one or two cylinders were misfiring and the service messages continued to show on the screen. There was no ABS light or message as has been posted on other threads. The car is in FL and I'm in VA right now. Heading back to FL this weekend to try to figure it out.

The thing that is most puzzling to me is the combination of misfiring and the ATC/AHS problems. They would seem to be totally unrelated except they both occurred at the same time. Has anyone ever seen this? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Greg
The following users liked this post:
KMBVETTE (08-14-2021)
Old 08-21-2019, 01:31 PM
MissileDoc
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Check to see if one or more of your spark plug wires have become disconnected form either the coil or spark plug itself.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:47 PM
captain vette
Safety Car

Received 1,207 Likes on 790 Posts

Cannot help, welcome to the forum i'm sure someone will guide you to fix that issue.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:11 PM
h8snow
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by MissileDoc
Check to see if one or more of your spark plug wires have become disconnected form either the coil or spark plug itself.
Same thing happened to me several months ago plug wire came loose from coil. Replaced all with new AC Delco found some corrosion on few terminals.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:41 PM
Gjcindc
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the quick response. I’ll def check that first. Hope it’s that simple. That will also cause the ATC/AHS faults?
Old 08-21-2019, 02:48 PM
MissileDoc
Pro

With my experience, it did take care of those exact faults.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:03 PM
Gjcindc
Heel & Toe

I would not have guessed that. I really hope it’s that simple. I’ll know Friday morning.

Thanks Guys.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:30 PM
FLC6GS
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Gjcindc
Hi,
"Active Traction Control System Needs Service" message, the "Active Handling System Needs Service" message and a check engine light at all on startup. The biggest immediate problem was the car was skipping very badly.
If not those, I was tossed into Limp Mode recently by a bad Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) crimp @ the throttle. It gave me similar DIC faults CEL/ATC/AHS and Reduced Engine Power displayed while limiting me to 50mph while running rough if that's similar to your expreices
Old 08-28-2019, 06:20 PM
Gjcindc
Heel & Toe

Confirmed. Spark plug wire came off. Running like a champ now.

Thanks to all!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Gjcindc:
h8snow (08-29-2019), Landru (08-30-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 06:26 PM
Get_UmJ13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

One of your coils have come loose. Pop the hood and wiggle to see which one you can press it back down to take out the aggressive shake. Dealer had to replace one of mine years ago under warranty. Good Luck also welcome to forum.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:30 PM
Gjcindc
Heel & Toe

I’ll def check that. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:20 PM
Chris J
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MissileDoc

My 13 GS did the exact same thing, it was loose plug wires.
Let us know what you find.
And welcome to the club its a GREAT ride
Old 08-29-2019, 09:47 AM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 895 Likes on 583 Posts

Drove my 13 GS coupe last night, ran like a champ. Started it up this morning, everything fine. Pulling away from the stop sign at the end of my street it started missing. Got the service traction control message and the dash light then got the service active handling message and finally the check engine light came on. Pulled into a parking lot, shut it off and restarted. Lights came back on and messages as soon as I started driving. Did a U turn at the light and took it home, less than a half mile total distance. Opened the hood, nothing obvious, seems to run OK at idle. Here's hoping it's plugs or wires. I've got a set of plugs, will get some OE plug wires. Nice long weekend coming up to do this. Hoping it's nothing more.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:42 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 895 Likes on 583 Posts

I took the fuel rail covers off this morning and the drivers side rear plug wire was hanging off the coil. Now it's possible it got pulled off when I remover the cover on that side since it's close to the split and you do have to bend and twist the cover to get it off. So I stuck the wire back on and took it for a drive. Ran perfectly, no messages or lights other than the persistent check engine light. I assume that will go away after a number of heat cycles right?

I'm leaving the covers off for the time being to make sure the problem doesn't come back before I actually replace the plugs & wires. I noticed the insulation/noise damping material in the covers undersides is completely different between the two. Drivers side has a nice replaceable rubbery part held on by 3 push nuts. The passenger side is a cheep glued in piece of foam that is starting to crumble away in places. Is this normal?
Old 08-31-2019, 02:00 PM
MissileDoc
Pro

Dr Gallup

Glad to hear the loose plug wire seems to be your problem.

I believe the sound insulation on both of my fuel rail covers is a foam rubber type.

Last edited by MissileDoc; 08-31-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:22 PM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,312 Likes on 884 Posts

Same thing happened to me.

I purchased a low mileage 2011 Grand Sport about a year ago. Drove it home almost 300 miles and ran great. Started it up the next day and let it idle. It began running very rough and I got the "Active Traction Control System Needs Service" message and "Active Handling System Needs Service" message.

So I am not panicking just yet but not far off. Shut it down and popped the hood. Took a few minutes to see it as I am thinking something major might be wrong with the engine but then I notice the front-most cylinder (#2, I think) on the passenger side of the engine had gotten disconnected from the coil. Just dangling there. Plugged it back in and running smooth.

Did some searching here and it seems this is a pretty common occurrence. I promptly replaced the GM plug wires with better set of Hinson wires and haven't had that problem again.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:26 PM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,312 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
I took the fuel rail covers off this morning and the drivers side rear plug wire was hanging off the coil. Now it's possible it got pulled off when I remover the cover on that side since it's close to the split and you do have to bend and twist the cover to get it off. So I stuck the wire back on and took it for a drive. Ran perfectly, no messages or lights other than the persistent check engine light. I assume that will go away after a number of heat cycles right?

I'm leaving the covers off for the time being to make sure the problem doesn't come back before I actually replace the plugs & wires. I noticed the insulation/noise damping material in the covers undersides is completely different between the two. Drivers side has a nice replaceable rubbery part held on by 3 push nuts. The passenger side is a cheep glued in piece of foam that is starting to crumble away in places. Is this normal?
Yes, the codes will go away. I think the GM wires connection points just get weak overtime and are likely to just fall off. I replaced my with a better set of Hinson Performance wires. They also have a better plug boot that makes it easier to get a grip on if you need to get to the plugs.

As for the beauty covers foam insulation, mine are also the same; different kind of foam just as you described for the passenger and drivers side covers. So this is normal.

Get notified of new replies

To 2013 Grand Sport ATC/AHS Problem with Check Eng Light

Quick Reply: 2013 Grand Sport ATC/AHS Problem with Check Eng Light