C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mechanic coolant and brake fluid price

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 03:05 PM
gayvettelover
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default mechanic coolant and brake fluid price

hey guys called up my local mechanic for brake fluid flush and coolant change. he quoted me 75 for each so 150 for both. i didnt mention dexcool on the phone but il mention once i bring the car. is that price reasonable?
Old 08-22-2019, 03:22 PM
captain vette
Safety Car

Received 1,214 Likes on 793 Posts

very reasonable honest price.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:25 PM
gayvettelover
Instructor

Originally Posted by captain vette
very reasonable honest price.

thanks, the reason i ask is because my local GM dealer in new york wants to charge 250 for coolant and 170 for brake fluid which is alot.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:26 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by gayvettelover
hey guys called up my local mechanic for brake fluid flush and coolant change. he quoted me 75 for each so 150 for both. i didnt mention dexcool on the phone but il mention once i bring the car. is that price reasonable?
I do these services myself (as do many here) so can't give you any actual costs, but Pep Boys in NJ lists coolant drain & fill starting at $65 and full flush & fill starting at $95. Brake fluid flush with other brake service is listed as $50, but alone would be more. Based upon those numbers, the quote you got seems reasonable. HOWEVER, is your mechanic Corvette knowledgeable? The coolant flush is somewhat difficult on Vettes because it takes a while to totally drain the system (including the surge tank) & then refill requires the system to be "burped" in order to get a full fill. Similarly, the brake fluid flush & refill requires special care with the ABS system. If you're confident that he's "Corvette knowledgeable" then these seem to be good prices. Out of curiosity, what year is your Vette & what's the mileage that's leading you to do these services? Also, if you're having the brake fluid flushed, what about pad replacement?
Old 08-22-2019, 03:30 PM
gayvettelover
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dave S
I do these services myself (as do many here) so can't give you any actual costs, but Pep Boys in NJ lists coolant drain & fill starting at $65 and full flush & fill starting at $95. Brake fluid flush with other brake service is listed as $50, but alone would be more. Based upon those numbers, the quote you got seems reasonable. HOWEVER, is your mechanic Corvette knowledgeable? The coolant flush is somewhat difficult on Vettes because it takes a while to totally drain the system (including the surge tank) & then refill requires the system to be "burped" in order to get a full fill. Similarly, the brake fluid flush & refill requires special care with the ABS system. If you're confident that he's "Corvette knowledgeable" then these seem to be good prices. Out of curiosity, what year is your Vette & what's the mileage that's leading you to do these services? Also, if you're having the brake fluid flushed, what about pad replacement?
pads have less than 5000 miles on them so brand new. car is 09 with 59k miles. yes the mechanic does all car models and even some nice porches. plus the waiting room has full view of what they are doing so i can sit and watch them
Old 08-22-2019, 04:17 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,712 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

That's a very reasonable price for sure
Old 08-23-2019, 04:33 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

Both of those services have 2 different methods, so might verify why you are getting vs. what you are wanting. Trying not to repeat Dave's post but is it a coolant drain and fill or is it a full flush with a machine?

And is it a standard brake bleed or a brake flush that involves energizing the ABS pumps to get out the fluid that is in them?

Last edited by C6ToGo; 08-23-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:17 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Reasonable price, but as mentioned above may not be an annually retentive Vett service.

Brakes...Simple job, remove wheels, attached pressure bleeder tool at master, bleed.
2 (maybe 4) pints fluid.
Otherwise a Tech ii tool is needed to open abs system.

Coolant...simple job drain at radiator and refill.
Or drain at rad. bring up to operating temp multiple times until clear water is present.
Remove coolant tank and clean out with chipped ice.
2 gallons dex cool and distilled water.
Remove air bubbles from system.

Nothing wrong with simple job if the car is regularly maintained.

Have fun!
Old 08-24-2019, 10:45 AM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
..........Remove coolant tank and clean out with chipped ice ......
Really that works!!!!! I've tried everything to get the scum off the inside of my tank. I've got to try this. Thanks for the post.

To the OP: Kenney94945 is correct, all of this is fairly easy, do your homework, then give it a try and the forum will give you great tips like this.

Last edited by Dutch08; 08-24-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:03 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Great price including labor, so long as he has test tool to cycle the ABS pump to get that old fluid out of it during the brake power breed process to get all new fluid into the system.

But since the Dexcool should be flushed every 5 year and replaced, and the brake fluid year (or at least every two years), better to learn how to do it yourself to save huge bank in the long run instead.

Get notified of new replies

To mechanic coolant and brake fluid price

Quick Reply: mechanic coolant and brake fluid price