C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking At A 2007, Things To Look For - ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 06:11 PM
maverickmk
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 186 Posts

Default Looking At A 2007, Things To Look For - ?

I am in need of some advice from the C6 guys (I'm a C3 guy) with a possible purchase of a 2007. I'm not too familiar with the option packages, but I'm going to assume it's a base model - and it does have an automatic. 58,500 miles, clean car fax, but 5 owners. Does that raise a huge flag, or not a real issue? I have only seen pictures of it and it looks clean, but I know that seeing it in pictures vs actually seeing it is a big difference. I'm planning on going to see it this weekend.
Let me know your thoughts, or any questions.

Last edited by maverickmk; 08-22-2019 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:34 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,453 Likes on 2,805 Posts

5 owners wouldnt concern me. These are toys and people go through them quickly. That's over 2 years per owner, not bad.

Lots of threads on what to look for. The cars are very durable though.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:45 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Look in the glove compartment for a list of the option codes.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:19 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

There is not a lot to worry about. If it is close to you, go see it, then come back with questions. Most of the time, people find that when they actually SEE the car they liked, it was not quite what the seller lead them to believe. After you see it, you will know what concerns you might have.

Search in this forum for "buying advice", or similar. The questions you asked are posted on here at least 10 times a week, so that is where you will find the best answers.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:51 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,252 Likes on 916 Posts

Be sure to get a CarFax report and then check the VIN with your local Chevrolet dealer on the recorded service history. Then just treat it like any other pre-owned car and have it checked over by a knowledgable Corvette tech.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:59 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,891 Likes on 1,913 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Check harmonic Balancer for excessive wobbling.
Check inside shoulder of front tires for alignment issue.
Then just like any used car you would look at.

07 was a pretty good year. I have 220,000 on my 07 and it still runs strong.
The following users liked this post:
Trebor (08-24-2019)
Old 08-22-2019, 08:29 PM
KingCorvette93
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Look for an LS3 under the hood...

Old 08-22-2019, 09:21 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,505 Likes on 3,590 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Here is my recommendation to you and anybody else buying car is to take it the dealership and pay for safety check, which they charge you hour of time.

They check the car, and proper operations any faulty problems like worn brakes belts, tensioner and hoses undercarriage damage.

There experienced mechanic's knowing what to look for in checking out the car.

You don't want to buy car with unknown problems, and have fined out later, after you bought it.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:42 PM
maverickmk
Drifting

Thanks for the replies. I was looking mostly for any items that are common failures/issues amoung C6's. I was a certified mechanic a while back, so mechanically I think I should be able to recognize any major issues. It has an LS2, has the 3LT package & an aftermarket stereo. Other than the stereo it looks like it hasn't been mesed with.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:08 AM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

Repairs to my 2007 bought new 85k miles ago. Might be an indicator of what to look for:

alternator
harmonic balancer
PS hose - 2007 has the old style prone to crack and leak
sway end links
noisy rear hub bearing
rear half shaft x2-both broke at spline for some reason

Not much, very reliable car
Old 08-23-2019, 09:06 AM
maverickmk
Drifting

Originally Posted by C6ToGo
Repairs to my 2007 bought new 85k miles ago. Might be an indicator of what to look for:

alternator
harmonic balancer
PS hose - 2007 has the old style prone to crack and leak
sway end links
noisy rear hub bearing
rear half shaft x2-both broke at spline for some reason

Not much, very reliable car
Thanks, that's some of what I was looking for.
I also found another thread searching here and there was some information about the harmonic balancer and to do some figure 8's to see if there is a clunking noise from the rear. The balancer was a good thing to fond out about, that will definitely give me an edge to bring the price down if it's in need of repair.

Last edited by maverickmk; 08-23-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-23-2019, 04:27 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by maverickmk
Thanks, that's some of what I was looking for.
I also found another thread searching here and there was some information about the harmonic balancer and to do some figure 8's to see if there is a clunking noise from the rear. The balancer was a good thing to fond out about, that will definitely give me an edge to bring the price down if it's in need of repair.
Some rear chatter can be at rear end. I think there is a TSB on changing diff lfuid. Dexron LS that doesn't require slip additive as before.
Sway end link is common failure and will cause some clunking.
Rear bearing is usually a whine. If you hear front or rear whine, go down road and slowly zig zag back and forth. A bad bearing will sound worse when you put weight on it....so if you zig right and hear more noise in the back, it is likely the right bearing going out.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:33 PM
maverickmk
Drifting

Well, it looks like you guys are going to be stuck with me for a while. I picked it up just a few hours ago. Pretty excited. I have always wanted a C6 since they came out.
The following 3 users liked this post by maverickmk:
Speed07 (08-24-2019), Trebor (08-24-2019), xcaliber501 (08-24-2019)
Old 08-24-2019, 06:24 PM
Trebor
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 157 Posts

Congratulations on your new car. I bought my 2006 triple black 3LT automatic convertible a year ago with 45,000 miles on it. . This is my 4th Vette. I traded my 2011 LS3 MN6 Camaro for it. Did you get to test drive it before purchase? Some sellers will drive you themselves. Hopefully you did and got to feel it's pep. The darn thing surprised me when I nailed it for the first time on the highway. It kicked forward. And yes, it is faster than my Camaro was and my Camaro only had 16,000 miles on it and was an LS3 with more hp and torque. I don't think anyone mentioned the transmission cable. GM used plastic bushings to connect the automatic shifter to the cable. Over time, heat will dry out the bushing and they crack/break. The symptom is, you try to shift from park to drive and the shifter just sails back and forth not connecting anything. Do a search for shifter cable C6 Corvette. I had the transmission cable replaced by my Chevy dealership for $422. as a PM thing. And my HB was wobbling and the dealership replaced it for me along with the serpentine belts and did an alignment as a warranty item.

Good luck and enjoy. Pics would be nice
Old 08-24-2019, 06:33 PM
xcaliber501
Racer

Received 329 Likes on 124 Posts

Hey, too late to give advice but i'll post anyways.

I bought my 2007 vert about 2 years ago and it also had many previous owners. 7 IIRC. That does not mean anything in of itself. I've been real happy with mine since I got it. Here are some things I have on my list of things that need fixing that seem to be pretty common.

1. Engine cowling "buzz": Mine does this occasionally, though not much recently. I have read several different causes for these, from an uninstalled screw from the factory to a defective cowling. The fix is pretty easy and the most it'll cost you is a new cowling piece. It's not that expensive.

2. Shaky rear view mirror: On mine the lock pins in the rear mirror have worn out. It's an easy fix and real cheap. Requiring a dermal tool and a couple of drill bit that you trim to size. There is a video I watched of a guy that did the job. Looked pretty straight forward.

3. Worn out struts on the hood and convertible tonneau top: The ones for the hood were pretty easy and parts are available on Amazon at a good price. You don't have a vert so there is no tonneau cover, in your case check the rear hatch struts for the same thing.

4. Check the air filter cover. Mine is broken. The OEM one looks real cheap and not a very good design. I plan on replacing it with one of the CAI products that are available.

5. Take a look at you battery terminal clamps. Mine were all worn out. They would not tighten onto the battery terminal correctly. again I also did not like the design. I replaced them with standard terminal clamps.

These are just some of the things I have been working on for mine. Congrats on your purchase. I have been loving mine so far.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:39 PM
maverickmk
Drifting

Originally Posted by xcaliber501
Hey, too late to give advice but i'll post anyways.

I bought my 2007 vert about 2 years ago and it also had many previous owners. 7 IIRC. That does not mean anything in of itself. I've been real happy with mine since I got it. Here are some things I have on my list of things that need fixing that seem to be pretty common.

1. Engine cowling "buzz": Mine does this occasionally, though not much recently. I have read several different causes for these, from an uninstalled screw from the factory to a defective cowling. The fix is pretty easy and the most it'll cost you is a new cowling piece. It's not that expensive.

2. Shaky rear view mirror: On mine the lock pins in the rear mirror have worn out. It's an easy fix and real cheap. Requiring a dermal tool and a couple of drill bit that you trim to size. There is a video I watched of a guy that did the job. Looked pretty straight forward.

3. Worn out struts on the hood and convertible tonneau top: The ones for the hood were pretty easy and parts are available on Amazon at a good price. You don't have a vert so there is no tonneau cover, in your case check the rear hatch struts for the same thing.

4. Check the air filter cover. Mine is broken. The OEM one looks real cheap and not a very good design. I plan on replacing it with one of the CAI products that are available.

5. Take a look at you battery terminal clamps. Mine were all worn out. They would not tighten onto the battery terminal correctly. again I also did not like the design. I replaced them with standard terminal clamps.

These are just some of the things I have been working on for mine. Congrats on your purchase. I have been loving mine so far.
Good stuff. It has an aftermatket CAI thing that I guess is okay, I'm not too keen on them, it works and I didn't pay for it so it will stay for now.
The hood struts need to be replaced. That will be the first thing, probably tomorrow.
The harmonic balancer will need to be replaced as well. I'll get to that in the next few weeks.
The mirror has the wobble, I'll have to look up how to repair that. Sounds liie an easy fix.
It has a really nice Kenwood stereo that will connect to a camera so I will definitely be putting in a backup camera.
It has a rather loud exhaust system with the cats removed. It has a lot of drone until you get to cruising low RPM's. That may have to go for something a little quieter.
Other than that it runs really good, handles excellent and I love the HUD.
I can't wait until it gets a little cooler down here in Orlando to take the top off. I love driving my C3 with the T-tops off, but the weather doesn't get there until around November.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:28 PM
xcaliber501
Racer

Received 329 Likes on 124 Posts

Good stuff. It has an aftermatket CAI thing that I guess is okay, I'm not too keen on them, it works and I didn't pay for it so it will stay for now.
I'm with you. I don't think those aftermarket CAIs do much, but the OEM one is just cheap garbage. Only reason why I'll swap it out eventually.

Mine also has a upgraded stereo. A Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX in my case. Adding a back-up camera is also on my list. I was just today looking at one that was built into a license plate bracket. Might be the way to go instead of drilling holes into the bumper cover.

One other thing I forgot to mention is the electronic door switches go bad every now and then. I had to do mine. I first tried to fix the original ones. There are videos out there on how to sand the contacts. I didn't have any luck doing that. Then I found out that a new switch is only $11. My advice is if they start going bad don't bother trying to fix them, just get new ones.

Anyways, have a great time with your. Loven mine.

Last edited by xcaliber501; 08-24-2019 at 08:29 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking At A 2007, Things To Look For - ?

Quick Reply: Looking At A 2007, Things To Look For - ?