C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 c6 no crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 06:25 PM
Brycedavis8
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 c6 no crank no start

I know this has been discussed many of times but I’m still not finding the issue.
1. Use the fob to enter my car as normal. Clutch in and press start.
2. Gauges come on and everything works as normal but doesn’t start.
3. Disconnect the neg on battery and reconnect it.
4. Get back in and it fires right up.

this problem is really bothering me at this point and I’m hoping someone has a solution
(battery is perfectly fine and brand new btw)
Old 08-22-2019, 08:42 PM
RaptorD
Navigator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem and eventually discovered the harmonic balancer was set (or had traveled) toward the block, in spite of the set screw being tight, just enough that it caused the alternator to not send back the charge to the battery. Took me $4k, 2 shops, 1 super-car guru and 7 weeks to discover the culprit.

Might want to check it out at least.

Dan
Old 08-22-2019, 08:50 PM
OregonMike
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

My 05 had the same issues (including having it towed home once). It ultimately turned out to be the column lock issue with the 05s. I never saw that message the first few dozen times it happened. I just kept a 10mm wrench in the console to disco the battery. I later added a wing nut marine connection on the negative side because the factory tapered nut was starting to get flaky too.

Put the bypass in, removed the entire lock motor assembly from the steering column, several hundred starts since then with nary a hiccup
Old 08-22-2019, 09:17 PM
Brycedavis8
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a bypass you recommend? I may just try that even tho it’s not saying column lock
Originally Posted by OregonMike
My 05 had the same issues (including having it towed home once). It ultimately turned out to be the column lock issue with the 05s. I never saw that message the first few dozen times it happened. I just kept a 10mm wrench in the console to disco the battery. I later added a wing nut marine connection on the negative side because the factory tapered nut was starting to get flaky too.

Put the bypass in, removed the entire lock motor assembly from the steering column, several hundred starts since then with nary a hiccup
Old 08-22-2019, 09:46 PM
OregonMike
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

I don't remember who it was who made it, but search on here a bit and you'll find the recommended guy who developed it. He still sells them via ebay. I'll go look through emails to see if I can find it.
On edit:
https://www.ebay.com/p/2005-C6-Corve...tor/1862746687

That's the one recommended here the most (from what I read when researching my issues anyway).

Originally Posted by Brycedavis8
Do you have a bypass you recommend? I may just try that even tho it’s not saying column lock

Last edited by OregonMike; 08-22-2019 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:52 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Clean your battery cable clamps at the battery terminals. Battery might be brand new but if the insides of the cable clamps are dirty you're not making a good connection. Removing and replacing the cables on the terminals will temporarily make better contact and the car will start. A bit more corrosion and it won't start. It happened to me several times. That may not be the problem but it's easy to check. Clean them until they are bright and shiny.
The following users liked this post:
OregonMike (08-22-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 c6 no crank no start

Quick Reply: 2005 c6 no crank no start