C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Led headlight bulb?

Old 11-15-2019, 09:44 PM
helomech
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Led headlight bulb?

I searched, but didn't find what I was looking for. I am sure it has been discussed, but I am not having any luck with the search function. What is the best hi beam LED replacement bulb. I been doing research, but have more questions now than when I started. Looking for people that are happy with what they have. I am want the brightest I can get, these east Texas roads at night hide lots of deer.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:48 PM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

I think the only replacement is an hid bulb. This is my car with hid bulbs and the hid switchbacks. Edit-sorry, I didn’t realize you wrote high beams.

Last edited by myredhead1; 11-15-2019 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:51 PM
helomech
Drifting

Originally Posted by myredhead1
I think the only replacement is an hid bulb. This is my car with hid bulbs and the hid switchbacks. Edit-sorry, I didn’t realize you wrote high beams.

I thought just the low beam was a HID. The low beam on my car is nice and white, the high beam is a yellow looking beam.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:54 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,425 Likes on 2,792 Posts

HID is a terrible option due to warm up time before they hit full brightness.

I posted a thread recently about mine. They were inexpensive 20 dollar ones on Amazon, work well, and fit under the rubber boots.
The following users liked this post:
helomech (11-15-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 10:03 PM
helomech
Drifting

Originally Posted by FAUEE
HID is a terrible option due to warm up time before they hit full brightness.

I posted a thread recently about mine. They were inexpensive 20 dollar ones on Amazon, work well, and fit under the rubber boots.
I find my low beams are very bright, heck as far as I know the low beams might already be a different set up than stock. The seem very bright, and have a very white light. I only had the car almost 2 months now, so I have not torn into the lights yet. I just notice the high beams are very yellow compared to the low beams.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:10 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by helomech
I find my low beams are very bright, heck as far as I know the low beams might already be a different set up than stock. The seem very bright, and have a very white light. I only had the car almost 2 months now, so I have not torn into the lights yet. I just notice the high beams are very yellow compared to the low beams.
Stock hid low beams work great. High beams are halogen, and HIDs aren't a great option there.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:13 PM
helomech
Drifting

Stock hid low beams work great. High beams are halogen, and HIDs aren't a great option there.
I have been looking for where you posted the link to the amazon ones, but no luck so far. I say another guy posted a link, but when I click on his it brings me to a JEEP light replacement. The more I read about LED's the less I feel I know.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:23 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

You want this thread. Its towards the end. You probably found the thread about my c4, lol.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...highbeams.html
helomech (11-16-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 06:33 AM
helomech
Drifting

You want this thread. Its towards the end. You probably found the thread about my c4, lol.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...highbeams.html
Yeah, it was the C-4 thread, thanks.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:54 PM
GREENKAR
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

You might try JWM Motorsports.com. They are a forum vendor, I changed out all my lights to led's, purchased from JWM. Have had them for over 2 yrs. Very bright and good prices. Very
helomech (11-16-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 09:06 PM
helomech
Drifting

Originally Posted by GREENKAR
You might try JWM Motorsports.com. They are a forum vendor, I changed out all my lights to led's, purchased from JWM. Have had them for over 2 yrs. Very bright and good prices. Very
Thanks going to check them out.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:11 AM
NCC-1701
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 53 Posts

Also look at Diode Dynamic lights.
helomech (11-17-2019)
Old 11-17-2019, 10:15 AM
helomech
Drifting

Originally Posted by NCC-1701
Also look at Diode Dynamic lights.
I read so many articles about each vehicle design effecting aftermarket lights. Makes me cautious to buy a certain brand for a particular headlight design. Do you have these lights?
Old 11-17-2019, 11:15 AM
NCC-1701
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 53 Posts

I read so many articles about each vehicle design effecting aftermarket lights. Makes me cautious to buy a certain brand for a particular headlight design. Do you have these lights?
Not for the vette yet but I installed them on my ram and they are great no problems with them. When I sold the truck two years after putting them on they were still perfect. I have also called the company a few times and they were very helpful and made recommendations that I followed. I am currently placing an order from them for tag, reverse, and interior lights for the 09 Z.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:34 AM
helomech
Drifting

Originally Posted by NCC-1701
Not for the vette yet but I installed them on my ram and they are great no problems with them. When I sold the truck two years after putting them on they were still perfect. I have also called the company a few times and they were very helpful and made recommendations that I followed. I am currently placing an order from them for tag, reverse, and interior lights for the 09 Z.
Cool thanks. Everything I read seems to say that each bulb will perform different in different headlights. Just making the decision so much harder.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:53 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Cool thanks. Everything I read seems to say that each bulb will perform different in different headlights. Just making the decision so much harder.
Its true that different bulbs will perform different in different housings, but it's more a function of the housing. LED bulbs now offer 1 to 1 styles where the LEDs are located where the filaments of their halogen counterparts would be. While not perfect, the vast majority of the light is sent into the housings optics correctly.

The other thing to realize is that reselling LEDs with huge margins is big business. They may all be built with the same parts in the same Chinese factory, but if you can make yourself a name, you can sell at a higher pre.ium with more margin. As it sits, they have massive margin already, but when people start charging upwards of $100 for bulbs... that's near robbery.

I have LEDs from amazon in my c6, c4, and daily driver truck. The truck has been the toughest to get right, as it has halogen reflector housings as opposed to projectors. I went with bulbs that had a rotation ability to them, so I could twist the beam angle, got the optics to be as good as they were with halogens (which is to say, not great with a crisp cut off, but good enough for light output and no glare).
helomech (11-17-2019)
Old 11-17-2019, 12:57 PM
helomech
Drifting

Its true that different bulbs will perform different in different housings, but it's more a function of the housing. LED bulbs now offer 1 to 1 styles where the LEDs are located where the filaments of their halogen counterparts would be. While not perfect, the vast majority of the light is sent into the housings optics correctly.

The other thing to realize is that reselling LEDs with huge margins is big business. They may all be built with the same parts in the same Chinese factory, but if you can make yourself a name, you can sell at a higher pre.ium with more margin. As it sits, they have massive margin already, but when people start charging upwards of $100 for bulbs... that's near robbery.

I have LEDs from amazon in my c6, c4, and daily driver truck. The truck has been the toughest to get right, as it has halogen reflector housings as opposed to projectors. I went with bulbs that had a rotation ability to them, so I could twist the beam angle, got the optics to be as good as they were with halogens (which is to say, not great with a crisp cut off, but good enough for light output and no glare).
Thank you, this is what I was looking for. Very helpful.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:59 PM
h8snow
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 194 Posts

Did you get the dust covers to fit?
helomech (11-17-2019)
Old 11-17-2019, 06:41 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by h8snow
Did you get the dust covers to fit?
Yup, they fit without issues. Well, other than getting my hand back in there to actually get them on, those access covers are tight. I also left the wheels on and didnt jack the car up to do it, so it was very tight to get my hand in.
The following 2 users liked this post by FAUEE:
h8snow (11-18-2019), helomech (11-17-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Led headlight bulb?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Led headlight bulb?