C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you plan to buy a C8?
Yes, I plan to buy a C8
24.55%
No, I plan to keep my C6
64.07%
I’m undecided
11.38%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Do you plan to buy a C8?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 07:16 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

I agree.
I have a paddle shift car, and after the initial “kewl ness” wore off, I rarely use it.
Its just not the same.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:22 AM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

As I get older, the next vehicle I buy will probably need to be easier to enter and exit and have more features that old people need.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:59 AM
Whoop
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 85 Posts

Before I make any decisions, I will wait for the first year bugs to be worked out, see what a Z06 offering will be or see what LPE/Calloway will offer. I plan on adding a second toy in the next few years like an older muscle car but a convertible C8 might be fun to add. Never owned a convertible. The wife always wants to take the C6 out but it is lowered and she just doesn't pay that close of attention to dips and steep driveways. Her manual shifting skills are ok but the dual clutch Auto would make this a much better option. I'm kinda a thinking today that I will have both a manual C6 and a auto C8 in my future.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:36 AM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 125 Posts

Yanno, until I watched the Jay Leno & Corvette Chief Engineer, Tadge Juechter video, I had never given owning a C8 much thot, figured no way, not interested. I'm too content with my '12 GS CE coupe, 3LT, 6M. Watching the C8 convertible video with that beautiful articulating folding roof go down in 15 or so seconds at less than 30 mph did something to me! I love driving with the top down, when the weather is decent, but don't like stowing the top and leaving my Vette parked w/ the top off for any length of time. I love that the roof folds away and yet doesn't take away storage space!. Then there's the GPS front end hydraulics that raises almost 2" to avoid splitter scraping. I can't go anywhere without scraping in town here, but really like having a lowered great handling Vette! I look forward to test driving a C8 convertible, at some point, to see how quiet it really is with the engine behind the driver. I love hearing my LS3 and going thru the gears, but I also like quiet to better enjoy my music conversations on road trips. I have read that the C8 is surprisingly/amazingly quiet, I'm anxious to see how quiet. Is the rear tire noise reduced and how much? I'm also anxious to see what happens with the Z06 C8 and hopefully a manual transmission option! I'm definitely thinking about the C8 convertible, but it will depend on how much my C6 depreciates and how much the C8 Z06 convertible will cost in 2024! Suppose to be more room for tall drivers & passengers along with more room to recline the seats!

My biggest dislike is that weird shaped steering wheel! Reminds me of the wheel in my parents old 1960's Dodge station wagon!

Last edited by TomdaToolman; 12-01-2019 at 05:10 AM.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:41 AM
weezon
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by TomdaToolman
Yanno, until I watched the Jay Leno & Corvette Chief Engineer, Tadge Juechter video, I had never given owning a C8 much thot, figured no way, not interested. I'm too content with my '12 GS CE coupe, 3LT, 6M. Watching the C8 convertible video with that beautiful articulating folding roof go down in 15 or so seconds at less than 30 mph did something to me! I love driving with the top down, when the weather is decent, but don't like stowing the top and leaving my Vette parked w/ the top off for any length of time. I love that the roof folds away and yet doesn't take away storage space!. Then there's the GPS front end hydraulics that raises almost 2" to avoid splitter scraping. I can't go anywhere without scraping in town here, but really like having a lowered great handling Vette! I look forward to test driving a C8 convertible, at some point, to see how quiet it really is with the engine behind the driver. I love hearing my LS3 and going thru the gears, but I also like quiet to better enjoy my music conversations on road trips. I have read that the C8 is surprisingly/amazingly quiet, I'm anxious to see how quiet. Is the rear tire noise reduced and how much? I'm also anxious to see what happens with the Z06 C8 and hopefully a manual transmission option! I'm definitely thinking about the C8 convertible, but it will depend on how much my C6 depreciates and how much the C8 Z06 convertible will cost in 2024! Suppose to be more room for tall drivers & passengers along with more room to recline the seats!

My biggest dislike is that weird shaped steering wheel! Reminds me of the wheel in my parents old 1960's Dodge station wagon!

I can already here the excitement in your post. The C8 is in your future. There's definitely more leg and recline room in it. I love the C7 but it's too damn small inside.

Last edited by weezon; 12-01-2019 at 07:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TomdaToolman (12-02-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 11:08 AM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Originally Posted by TomdaToolman

TomdaToolman (12-02-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 12:19 PM
Cardinal Flyer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Really beautiful cars, but I decided driving an Automatic just isn't for me.
Instead, I'm putting a Supercharger on...
Old 12-01-2019, 01:56 PM
Capt Mike
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

TomdaToolman..

Yep, I agree. The features you wrote about are some my Favorites. I have two convertibles (C5 & C4), and my son has an '04 FRC ZO6 the Le Mans edition. We both love the Convertibles !! The FRC ZO6 is much quieter inside than my Converts... I've owned these two for a long time, it will be tough to see them go, and will need too go down the road if I purchase a new C8, and a few others. My son already wants a 2021, but will certainly keep his '04.

There's a lot of other features on the C8 that seem to be well thought out. But I'm not making a C8 purchase until at least 2021 year model. And who knows what going to be announced in other models, ZO6 etc. Gads, if they have a ZR1 what will it be like ??

But a Corvette Convertible with a Folding Top, electric or manual, that's a great model. Also the 2 inch lift in the front is a great feature,especially where I live. I would love to have the free flowing Wind in a Convertible and the Folding Hard Top for the Quiet (and more secure hard top) so the Stereo can actually be enjoyed. The C8 Corvette is a complete re-designing and I believe that the Design Teams involved did a fantastic job. Yes, there will probably be a few small issues and service bulletins, nothing new for any car maker. But nothing anywhere in the World is there a Car like this one. Ferrari, Mercedes and the rest, are in Shock.

As far as the Transmission, I think the choice was a good decision. It was time to make a major change to the Mid Engine and Put all other Auto Makers on Notice.. I can hardly wait for the endurance races like Le Mans, Sebring etc.. I'd love to see one again.

This Trans is not an Automatic ! There's no Clutch Packs, Valve Body, ETC.. This Trans is a 8 speed with manual gears that are electrical shifted in a 10th of a second under full power. I'm happy to accept the Paddle Shift controls, less likely to grind gears and even break something. The Hydraulic Dual Clutch, well I think that I'm at 50/50 here. I can visualize owning a C8 with the Hydraulic controlled Dual Clutch operation. But if they offered both it would be tough decision. Either way, I'll still have a manual 6 speed to drive..

I purchased my first Corvette soon after my Honorable Discharge from the U.S. Army. This was early 70's and she was a mint 1966 C2 Convertible that the PO put a lot of Cash into upgrades and lost his drivers licence. Since then I've always, except for a few months while searching for another,, owned a Corvette Convertible. True those days in the 70's, 80's and 90's people were most respectful and not near the vandalism as today. I've Never had anyone Slash a Convertible Top, Pop a Tire nor Key the Paint - ever. But I was always concerned. I think I got the Convert Bug from my Dad, his Coverts were Austin Healey 3000 Mark III, and when I was in grade school a '56 Pontiac Safari Wagon was his daily driver. When Dad picked me up at the airport on my first military leave, He drove Mom's '55 Olds 98. I do love the Converts, but the constant folding the top does cause wear. But, I learned to complete all the maintenance and repairs from my Dad. Dad was always there helping me or one of my friends rebuild engines, trans or anything else that needed His help. Was the only way to afford any Car. What wold it be like to have a full warranty on a new C8 Corvette ???

After four knee surgeries, a total knee replacement and a few other repairs, a dual disc hydraulic crutch with no pedal might be the best for a daily 'Fair Weather" driver for me. All my Cars are manual transmissions, a clutch isn't an issue yet, hope never ! Seat comfort is a huge Deal maker for me after so many surgeries its darn uncomfortable and painful to drive sitting on the wrong seat. It's the muscle and tendon damage, not the knee.

I doubt there's going to be a C8 in my area for many months to come. But my first test will be the seats. However, if I love the C8 model, seats can be modified if needed.

The sad part for me is that we've run out of garage space, and already build a couple of detached garages. And I have too many cars to care for so my C5 and '56 Chevy (LS1 T-56 etc) will be sold, probably my old '78 2dr European Mercedes Hardtop that We rarely drive any more too... .A life long friend has been trying to buy my highly modified C4 Convert for a few years now. I do have the oem hardtop, but it is a real PITA to install or remove,, great look though... But not selling my '37 Chevy Coupe still is the build process in my small shop,I'll need something to tinker with .

So selling a few Cars and getting a new C8 is an attractive change. I was thinking about the other Corvettes that I've owned that last few days. I've never owned a Corvette that wasn't modified in some way. Huh maybe a C8 would be the first.

QUESTION,,,, Is there an age where one is too old to own a Corvette.

I don't think so. I met a friend, Gordon, a few months ago at Mitch's Shop, local pin stripe expert. Gordon had purchased a new dark gray C7 Coupe two month prior. We watched Mitch for a while stripping the very thin hardly visible stripes and I said,, lets go get a coffee and leave Mitch to his work. Gordon got up and walked to my Convert and off we go to Coffee. I asked him, how does your wife feel about all the Corvette's you've owned and this new C7. He says,, Oh she fine with the new C7 after all she has a four door Vette,,, referring to her LS powered Cadillac. We emailed about the new C8 several times , he's pretty much waiting until 2021 models and reviews too. He also told me that as long as He can get in and out of a Vette He'll always own one, even if he needs a walker,, I fully Agree !! Gordon is in his 80's and sharp as a Tack and healthy.

Gives me a positive attitude.

The following 2 users liked this post by Capt Mike:
Mike98SilVert (12-01-2019), TomdaToolman (12-02-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 02:04 PM
Capt Mike
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Cardinal Flyer,,

I understand.

You even consider dual Turbos ?? Tom Nelson Racing has Mirror Image Turbos, for a much easier installation.

I have a pair for my '37 Chevy Coupe build. Will go on my new LS3 once the suspension is finished.

Old 12-01-2019, 03:14 PM
racerx3317
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 161 Posts

I voted no. No manual is a deal breaker for me otherwise I would have found a way to do it.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:29 PM
Al.B
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

If they put a future Vette on a diet, lose say 300 pounds and bring back manual. Then maybe.
LowRyter (12-01-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 12:37 AM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mike98SilVert

That's pretty much it, just a bit fancier than our bottom of the line wagon that didn't even have a radio, but it had the push button transmission! lol
Old 12-02-2019, 12:39 AM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Capt Mike
Cardinal Flyer,,

I understand.

You even consider dual Turbos ?? Tom Nelson Racing has Mirror Image Turbos, for a much easier installation.

I have a pair for my '37 Chevy Coupe build. Will go on my new LS3 once the suspension is finished.
I'm surprised Tom Nelson's mirror image turbos hasn't caught on more!
Old 12-02-2019, 12:53 AM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Capt Mike
TomdaToolman..

Yep, I agree. The features you wrote about are some my Favorites. I have two convertibles (C5 & C4), and my son has an '04 FRC ZO6 the Le Mans edition. We both love the Convertibles !! The FRC ZO6 is much quieter inside than my Converts... I've owned these two for a long time, it will be tough to see them go, and will need too go down the road if I purchase a new C8, and a few others. My son already wants a 2021, but will certainly keep his '04.

There's a lot of other features on the C8 that seem to be well thought out. But I'm not making a C8 purchase until at least 2021 year model. And who knows what going to be announced in other models, ZO6 etc. Gads, if they have a ZR1 what will it be like ??

But a Corvette Convertible with a Folding Top, electric or manual, that's a great model. Also the 2 inch lift in the front is a great feature,especially where I live. I would love to have the free flowing Wind in a Convertible and the Folding Hard Top for the Quiet (and more secure hard top) so the Stereo can actually be enjoyed. The C8 Corvette is a complete re-designing and I believe that the Design Teams involved did a fantastic job. Yes, there will probably be a few small issues and service bulletins, nothing new for any car maker. But nothing anywhere in the World is there a Car like this one. Ferrari, Mercedes and the rest, are in Shock.

As far as the Transmission, I think the choice was a good decision. It was time to make a major change to the Mid Engine and Put all other Auto Makers on Notice.. I can hardly wait for the endurance races like Le Mans, Sebring etc.. I'd love to see one again.

This Trans is not an Automatic ! There's no Clutch Packs, Valve Body, ETC.. This Trans is a 8 speed with manual gears that are electrical shifted in a 10th of a second under full power. I'm happy to accept the Paddle Shift controls, less likely to grind gears and even break something. The Hydraulic Dual Clutch, well I think that I'm at 50/50 here. I can visualize owning a C8 with the Hydraulic controlled Dual Clutch operation. But if they offered both it would be tough decision. Either way, I'll still have a manual 6 speed to drive..

I purchased my first Corvette soon after my Honorable Discharge from the U.S. Army. This was early 70's and she was a mint 1966 C2 Convertible that the PO put a lot of Cash into upgrades and lost his drivers licence. Since then I've always, except for a few months while searching for another,, owned a Corvette Convertible. True those days in the 70's, 80's and 90's people were most respectful and not near the vandalism as today. I've Never had anyone Slash a Convertible Top, Pop a Tire nor Key the Paint - ever. But I was always concerned. I think I got the Convert Bug from my Dad, his Coverts were Austin Healey 3000 Mark III, and when I was in grade school a '56 Pontiac Safari Wagon was his daily driver. When Dad picked me up at the airport on my first military leave, He drove Mom's '55 Olds 98. I do love the Converts, but the constant folding the top does cause wear. But, I learned to complete all the maintenance and repairs from my Dad. Dad was always there helping me or one of my friends rebuild engines, trans or anything else that needed His help. Was the only way to afford any Car. What wold it be like to have a full warranty on a new C8 Corvette ???

After four knee surgeries, a total knee replacement and a few other repairs, a dual disc hydraulic crutch with no pedal might be the best for a daily 'Fair Weather" driver for me. All my Cars are manual transmissions, a clutch isn't an issue yet, hope never ! Seat comfort is a huge Deal maker for me after so many surgeries its darn uncomfortable and painful to drive sitting on the wrong seat. It's the muscle and tendon damage, not the knee.

I doubt there's going to be a C8 in my area for many months to come. But my first test will be the seats. However, if I love the C8 model, seats can be modified if needed.

The sad part for me is that we've run out of garage space, and already build a couple of detached garages. And I have too many cars to care for so my C5 and '56 Chevy (LS1 T-56 etc) will be sold, probably my old '78 2dr European Mercedes Hardtop that We rarely drive any more too... .A life long friend has been trying to buy my highly modified C4 Convert for a few years now. I do have the oem hardtop, but it is a real PITA to install or remove,, great look though... But not selling my '37 Chevy Coupe still is the build process in my small shop,I'll need something to tinker with .

So selling a few Cars and getting a new C8 is an attractive change. I was thinking about the other Corvettes that I've owned that last few days. I've never owned a Corvette that wasn't modified in some way. Huh maybe a C8 would be the first.

QUESTION,,,, Is there an age where one is too old to own a Corvette.

I don't think so. I met a friend, Gordon, a few months ago at Mitch's Shop, local pin stripe expert. Gordon had purchased a new dark gray C7 Coupe two month prior. We watched Mitch for a while stripping the very thin hardly visible stripes and I said,, lets go get a coffee and leave Mitch to his work. Gordon got up and walked to my Convert and off we go to Coffee. I asked him, how does your wife feel about all the Corvette's you've owned and this new C7. He says,, Oh she fine with the new C7 after all she has a four door Vette,,, referring to her LS powered Cadillac. We emailed about the new C8 several times , he's pretty much waiting until 2021 models and reviews too. He also told me that as long as He can get in and out of a Vette He'll always own one, even if he needs a walker,, I fully Agree !! Gordon is in his 80's and sharp as a Tack and healthy.

Gives me a positive attitude.

Ideally, I'd dearly love to get a 2022 C8 convertible in 2024 with low miles and still keep my C6. Might have to sell off some of my shop machinery & tools to accomplish that tho!
Old 12-02-2019, 01:05 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

As disenchanted as I was with the C7, I still don't understand all the vitriol for the C8. Especially coming from the C7 owners.

Did anyone else mention how odd it is to be asking in C6 if you intend to buy a C8? By now, there's not a ton of original C6 owners left here. There's some, but I'd say very few. It's also funny the wording the OP chose, do you "Plan" to buy... Plan? I didn't "plan" to buy a c6. I'm surely not planning to buy a C8.

Quick Reply: Do you plan to buy a C8?