C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BF Goodrich G Force sport comp 2 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 08:34 PM
helomech
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 114 Posts
Default BF Goodrich G Force sport comp 2 ?

I plan on driving my 2009 to work for 2 weeks in Louisiana, temps might get close to freezing while I am there. The website for the tires just says tires are not intended to be used near freezing temps. Does that mean they will be damaged near freezing? So is 35 okay, but not 33. Never owned summer tires before, so I truly don't know. I know traction will suck, and I am fine with that, just don't want a blow out, or to damage my tires.

Thanks.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:32 AM
kgh06688
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You already have the right answer; no grip. That's all though, they won't blow out or fall apart. The colder it gets, the less grip you'll have. But, even when it's cold, your tires will still be generating heat from friction with the road, just maybe not enough to heat them up to "optimal" operating temperatures. It has to be very cold for them to not be able to heat up to use-able temps.
The following users liked this post:
helomech (12-11-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 09:37 AM
helomech
Drifting

Originally Posted by kgh06688
You already have the right answer; no grip. That's all though, they won't blow out or fall apart. The colder it gets, the less grip you'll have. But, even when it's cold, your tires will still be generating heat from friction with the road, just maybe not enough to heat them up to "optimal" operating temperatures. It has to be very cold for them to not be able to heat up to use-able temps.

Great thanks. About to head out, I expect traction to really suck, so not problem there. Just didn't want to do permanent damage to the tire.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:53 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,453 Likes on 2,805 Posts

Some tires are known to chunk or crack below 40 degrees. Typically these are very aggressive tires like sport cup 2s. I would think comp 2s will just be really low grip, as they are not that level of aggressive.
helomech (12-11-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 11:58 AM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by helomech
I plan on driving my 2009 to work for 2 weeks in Louisiana, temps might get close to freezing while I am there. The website for the tires just says tires are not intended to be used near freezing temps. Does that mean they will be damaged near freezing? So is 35 okay, but not 33. Never owned summer tires before, so I truly don't know. I know traction will suck, and I am fine with that, just don't want a blow out, or to damage my tires.

Thanks.
I ran those on my Camaro SS and drove it through the winter. I really liked them, and was bummed that they don't have them in the size to fit my Grand Sport.

That being said, I didn't have any issues. Just have to drive smart when cold. Didn't take it out when it was snowing, but did get stuck out a couple times when it started snowing. Definitely have to drive smart. Didn't have any issues with damage to the tire
helomech (12-11-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 12:24 PM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,606 Posts

Originally Posted by helomech

Thanks.
I had a C5 with Goodyear RFs on it for 11 years when I lived 50 miles west of Chicago. They had similar warnings on them. I drove it every time I got a sunny day during those single digit temp days and there was no snow on the road. Just keep them properly inflated and as you drive the car the tires will warm up. Be careful and you should be fine.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:29 PM
helomech
Drifting

thanks guys. Made the 410 mile drive with no issues. just a c-6, challenger, and a c-7 that wanted to race me. roads where nice and warm by that time.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:31 AM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 903 Likes on 587 Posts

There are some ultra high performance tires that should not be driven in low temperatures. Always refer to the manufactures recommendations. For instance this is what Michelin has to say about the Pilot Sport 4S:

Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.

Last edited by dr_gallup; 12-12-2019 at 10:32 AM.
helomech (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 11:17 AM
bravo29
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

I had these tires on my Charger, Trans am, C5 and will be on my C6. I drove on them in illinois snow in Dec, Jan, Feb. I had no issues in snow, cold, rain, mild ice. As long as they are the A/S models. I rather have these than most other tires or Summer only tires.
helomech (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 11:26 AM
helomech
Drifting

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
There are some ultra high performance tires that should not be driven in low temperatures. Always refer to the manufactures recommendations. For instance this is what Michelin has to say about the Pilot Sport 4S:

Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.
Thanks I read about that on other tires, but BF Goodrich just says at or near freezing.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:27 AM
helomech
Drifting

Originally Posted by bravo29
I had these tires on my Charger, Trans am, C5 and will be on my C6. I drove on them in illinois snow in Dec, Jan, Feb. I had no issues in snow, cold, rain, mild ice. As long as they are the A/S models. I rather have these than most other tires or Summer only tires.

These don't say A/S

Get notified of new replies

To BF Goodrich G Force sport comp 2 ?

Quick Reply: BF Goodrich G Force sport comp 2 ?