C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Auto Transmission shifts

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 03:28 PM
ToomRaider
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default C6 Auto Transmission shifts

Picked up an 05 base last year. Has a VR cold air kit and Borla exhaust. I don't know what else was done to it which leads me to a question about the auto trans. The shifts, especially 1-2 are very hard and sometimes get me really sideways, not just a wiggle. Is this about normal? Normal street driving finds it shifting smoothly.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:58 PM
gavinfdavies
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

I’ve got the exact same problem, i posted about it recently. Mine does it 2-3 when on the gas too.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:59 PM
gavinfdavies
Burning Brakes

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...05-4-auto.html
Old 12-12-2019, 05:28 PM
gavinfdavies
Burning Brakes

I’ll enjoy watching this in a little while. Just sitting down with a big pizza to watch our election results coming in live. In terms of fuel economy, I’m amazed at mine, got just over 34mpg at 71mph over 220 miles while fully loaded, and that’s uk gallons at 4.54L each. 😏
Old 12-12-2019, 06:14 PM
ToomRaider
Burning Brakes

I’m not really complaining about it, I just want to know if it’s normal stock or the tranny had some work done on it.

Good luck with the election result!
Old 12-12-2019, 06:25 PM
gavinfdavies
Burning Brakes

Well I’m complaining It’s terrifying. Since the end of Jan I did over 13k miles in my last car, an LS1 camaro with the same transmission, and I felt confident booting it when giving rides to my friends kids, this vicious animal is so unpredictable that I can’t safely boot it even on my own. It feels like the stereotypical mustangs, crowds beware!

(can you tell I’ve just discovered the smiley button?!)
Old 12-12-2019, 06:40 PM
ProCycle
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 63 Posts

Sounds like someone has played with the shift parameters. It's easy to do with HP Tuners. The time it takes to make the shift can be adjusted. Making that full throttle shift take a little bit longer will keep it from getting so out of control.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:53 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Most likely someone tuned the car and adjusted the transmission also. My '07 has ARH and hi-flow cats along with a CAI and a tune. Under normal driving in D the shifts don't seem different then most automatic shifts, but if I have in S, I can feel the shift more pronounced. If I am driving it more aggressive the shifts are much harder and if I am using the paddles the 1st to 2nd shift will make the rear jump out and even a little in 2nd to 3rd also.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:39 AM
gavinfdavies
Burning Brakes

I can’t see why anyone would want such hard shifts, loosing traction (and even control) just slows you down.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:46 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Agree that is sounds like someone has been messing with it. The cold air and Borla aren't going to make much difference in power except on very hot summer days. I can go full throttle on a wet street and the computer usually figures it out fast enough to keep it easily under control. Now if you are turning the computer off, wild tail swinging is totally normal at full throttle even in higher gears.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:56 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

It's been tuned.

Our 2011 GS in stock tuning had sluggish shifts so I purchased a Diablo tuner and started playing with the parameters. In it's most extreme tranny tune, it shifted incredibly hard when under acceleration. I finally ended up with a firm setting to be able to drive the car under all conditions.

Old 12-13-2019, 10:28 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by gavinfdavies
I can’t see why anyone would want such hard shifts, loosing traction (and even control) just slows you down.
The factory tune will have a different shift in D then in S. I autocross and use the paddles and I also turn off the nannies, so there is no slow down. As for losing traction if you turn off the nannies in complete stock form you will break the tires loose.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:18 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Your profile has no location.That is normal at wot on stock tires especially in cold weather.What are the temps at location you are at?The rear of my 05 when stock would kick out even with warm temps and tires.

Last edited by irok; 12-13-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:37 AM
ToomRaider
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by irok
Your profile has no location.That is normal at wot on stock tires especially in cold weather.What are the temps at location you are at?The rear of my 05 when stock would kick out even with warm temps and tires.
Michiana is a local designation for the junction of Michigan and Indiana. Summer temps with M Pilot Sport RF. Oh yes, wicked on cold tires. Not wise to get on it hard when cold. My son’s C7 doesn’t shift anything like this. Mine is borderline brutal. Even kick down shifts are hard. So much so that I manually downshift to pass to keep things from getting exciting. This rivals any manual power shift I’ve experienced. It slams the gears.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Auto Transmission shifts

Quick Reply: C6 Auto Transmission shifts