C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making an offer on a Vette

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 12:33 PM
hyperfocal
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Making an offer on a Vette

I know this is C7 General Discussion. There is someone trying to sell a car that does not belong to them on the Forums.
I am new to corvettes and can not afford 30,000 plus car. This car is on C6 forum. Can you corvette guys give me some advise such as,
is there anything I should look for from the history of a 2006 C6 Z51 package.

And, what is your opinion about a purchase of a 06 Vette.

I understand this is a stupid question, but some people will say a stupid question is a question not asked.

I do like the car; wish I could afford more. I am just a working man that want a Vette for some reason. Maybe some of can relate.

You have help me before....

Thanks a lot and Godbless America
Old 12-13-2019, 01:24 PM
MikeWyatt
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

My opinion. I know a lot about C5's, I have owned two, 2004 C5s, (last of the generation) and loved both of them. Now have a C7, but still love my C5 for different reasons. Selling it though (sniff)

No matter (almost) what Corvette you buy, the following are true:

1. The cars are pretty much always cared for to an extreme. They are kept out of weather, not abused, and regularly maintained.

2. Exceptions might be extensively-modified or heavily tracked cars. MANY good well cared for have exhaust changes, bigger or non-run flat tires, "summer-only" tires, chrome upgrades, etc.- I would not worry about any of these.

Supercharged, lowered, etc.-- hmmmm.

3. Almost every year, within a "generation" (C6, C7 etc.) the engineering team makes changes to make the car better. So a later C6 should be expected to be less troublesome than a first, or second year C6.

4. Every generation generally offers more car than the one before- better performance, better comfort, equal or better room, and even better mileage. Look at a C5 vs. C4, or a C7 vs. a C6- huge changes. But not so much in the C6 vs. C5. The C6 was really a modified C5. Most of the running gear was the same, but the C6 was slightly shorter (5"?), it had fixed headlights and some styling changes. The C5 took its cooling air from below he front bumper, the C6 through its grill; that was an improvement - less junk getting into the radiator and AC condenser.

5. The later in a Generation (C6s were 2005 - 2012) the "bugs" come closer to being eliminated. I know that in the C5 generation there were problem areas corrected in pretty much every year- except the last two years the cars were ironed out - they didn't change much in 2002- 2004 except some new colors, new special editions etc.

So- I would think a C6 is a good buy being a revised C5, which was a GREAT car.

Last edited by MikeWyatt; 12-13-2019 at 01:31 PM. Reason: added some details.
The following users liked this post:
hyperfocal (12-13-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 03:03 PM
Josephu
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 137 Posts

2005 to 2013 for the C6.
The following 2 users liked this post by Josephu:
Fast Dawg (12-14-2019), rc51racer (12-13-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 03:39 PM
MikeWyatt
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the correction!
Old 12-13-2019, 03:53 PM
bruno06
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 74 Posts

I have had a 2006 C6 and now a 2012 GS. I like the LS3 over the LS2. The power difference is not huge, just like the motor better IMO. If it is in the budget for you, the GS is great car. Love the fat rear end, the handling package, etc. Best of luck with whatever way you go.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:58 PM
hyperfocal
Advanced

Originally Posted by bruno06
I have had a 2006 C6 and now a 2012 GS. I like the LS3 over the LS2. The power difference is not huge, just like the motor better IMO. If it is in the budget for you, the GS is great car. Love the fat rear end, the handling package, etc. Best of luck with whatever way you go.
Its the money.

Thanks alot
Old 12-13-2019, 04:57 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by hyperfocal
Its the money.
Nothing wrong w/ an '06, guessing MZ6 w/ Z51 option.
What're the miles?
# of owners?
Overall condition, especially seats/interior, brakes and tires?
OTD/Asking $ ?

Traded an '06 w/ Z51 on an '08 Z06, still own the Z.
I really liked my '06, had some synchs replaced under B2B.
Otherwise a solid, fast and fun to drive Corvette.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:12 PM
weezon
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 70 Posts

I would buy that white 2006 C6 Z51 with the red interior in the for sale section very quickly. It has less than 5000 miles. Pristine condition and a owner with multiple well kept toys. That's a green light. It's the definition of garage queen. Don't over think it if that's the car you're talking about. Pull the carfax, drive it, give it a good look over and drive home happy.

Last edited by weezon; 12-14-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:23 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

OP. 12 13 best C6 years.

Prior to that each year before has upgrades here and there but do not look before 08... stay 08+. Best of the C6..

When I was in the market that was the advice given to me and I chose a loaded mag ride npp 08 1 owner and couldn't have been happier. I have since moved on and the C7 to me was a big improvement in tech and quality. but a nicely sorted C6 is a pure driver's car more so than the C7 to me because of the lack of tech in the C6 (more about driving than gadgets/comforts).

where it gets sticky is a 14 C7 can be had for just over 30k now. That's intriguing compared to a 20k C6 seeing the advancements. If 10k is big to you? C6 no brainer.. if not? C7 is much better car to me having owned both (on my 2nd new C7 Z06).
Old 12-14-2019, 03:30 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I own a 2006 Z51 optioned with 3LT interior. I have put over 100,000 miles on the car since I've owned it and of all the cars that I've owned since 1972, this C6 has been the best car maintenance wise of all others in those years. I've owned sport cars, SUV, mini vans, Ford,Chrysler and GM products. etc.
Besides regular maintenance items such as oil changes, brakes, tires, shocks and sway bar end links, the only failure as such was a leaking water pump seal at 30K miles. I installed a new pump, and no troubles since.

Over this winter hibermnation, I will change the transmission fluid and rear diff fluid, and likely change out the coolant as well. It has approx 70K miles since I changed the coolant at 30K miles. I'm still on my original plugs and wires.

The drive train is still in great working condition. The LS2 is a beast of an engine, and very reliable.

As mentioned, each year of the C6 platform, improvements were made, either mechanically, new engine in 2008, and interior trim was improved over the years.
The rule of thumb is buy the newest that is within your budget.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 12-14-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:52 PM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

My 1st Vette was an ‘05 most will tell you don’t buy that year but mine was great no issues
buy what you like that fits your budget. Sure later in the C6 run there were improvements but the price goes up too. The ls2 is no slouch either so don’t let that scare you
Old 12-14-2019, 07:37 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
OP. 12 13 best C6 years.

but a nicely sorted C6 is a pure driver's car more so than the C7 to me because of the lack of tech in the C6 (more about driving than gadgets/comforts).
Not to derail this thread but that is so true. I drove my C6 GS for 7 years and just traded it in for 2019 GS. I think the C6 is a much better drivers car, I sure do miss it.
hyperfocal (12-15-2019)
Old 12-15-2019, 12:30 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,007 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Way I look at it, car is worth what its work.

Between checking out the GM service history, Carfax, and the pre purchased inspection from a shop you trust, will know what has problems, and what on the value of the car needs to be knocked down of the asking price. If the car is clean, and your trying to jack someone down on the selling price without reason, they are just going to tell you to pound sand instead.

On the other hand, if you have a list of reasons from the above the cars buying price needs to be lower (say value since the car has been in a wreck, or will need repairs that the PPI picked up that will cost you), then could get a discount on the cars price instead.

To sum it up, if you don't know that your looking at when buying a vet, go find someone that does to give you a hand. Hence a vet can become a money pit really quick if you buy a lemon or car in needed of repairs.

Last edited by Dano523; 12-15-2019 at 12:32 AM.
hyperfocal (12-15-2019)
Old 12-15-2019, 01:26 PM
hyperfocal
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dano523
Way I look at it, car is worth what its work.

Between checking out the GM service history, Carfax, and the pre purchased inspection from a shop you trust, will know what has problems, and what on the value of the car needs to be knocked down of the asking price. If the car is clean, and your trying to jack someone down on the selling price without reason, they are just going to tell you to pound sand instead.

On the other hand, if you have a list of reasons from the above the cars buying price needs to be lower (say value since the car has been in a wreck, or will need repairs that the PPI picked up that will cost you), then could get a discount on the cars price instead.

To sum it up, if you don't know that your looking at when buying a vet, go find someone that does to give you a hand. Hence a vet can become a money pit really quick if you buy a lemon or car in needed of repairs.
I have been doing some research on the car. There is a recall concerning the low beam headlight. I maybe wrong; but I believe I read that there has been 5 or 6 recalls on this car or series of C6. He said he purchased the car from a friend, however the carfax said purchased from a dealer. Sometimes those car fax reports are hard to read if you are not familiar with them. Just trying to be careful as mention.

Thanks very much
Old 12-15-2019, 02:42 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Whether a car has or had recalls has never bothered me. All it means is the manufacturer admits to a fault and will correct it for free. I'd be more concerned with the issues they don't own up to (like harmonic balancers) or put a limited time on repairs (like fuel leak).

I don't know why the seller feels the need to lie about who he bought it from, but if you get a weird feeing about the seller, just move on. There is no shortage of cars for sale.
The following 2 users liked this post by 919cw313:
cadyshac (12-15-2019), hyperfocal (12-15-2019)
Old 12-15-2019, 03:16 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,393 Posts

Originally Posted by hyperfocal
He said he purchased the car from a friend, however the carfax said purchased from a dealer. Sometimes those car fax reports are hard to read if you are not familiar with them. Just trying to be careful as mention.
Just because the CarFax says it was bought from a dealer doesn't mean it wasn't purchased from a friend. I buy a new company car every 3 years, and I usually buy back the car for my wife as I know the cars history and I can buy it back dirt cheap. When I do this the dealership runs both the new car purchase and the trade in and purchase back all through the dealership. They do this as a courtesy to me to simplify the new car purchase and so I don't have to pay sales tax on the trade in value. Long story short... the CarFax will say sold by the dealer, but in reality I sold it to myself. I've also had friends buy my company cars and the purchase was handled the same way... anyhoo... food for thought.
hyperfocal (12-15-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Making an offer on a Vette

Quick Reply: Making an offer on a Vette