C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 03:18 PM
PAULEB07
Drifting

Received 273 Likes on 226 Posts

Default Window Tinting

Hey All,
My rear window tint in my 07 is horrible. I can't see out the rear window. It's so blurry especially at night. So I am looking for a reputable window tint place here on Long Island New York. If anyone has reference I would really appreciate it!. I might even do the all the glass. Is the tint from factory?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 01-23-2020, 03:44 PM
bartsky
Safety Car

Received 328 Likes on 244 Posts

No that would be aftermarket tint, and quite a bear to remove from back glass.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:01 PM
jjfabs
Pro

Received 257 Likes on 164 Posts

Like bartsky said, it is a big deal to get the old tint off. It is because of the defroster on the window, I believe I was told it has to be taken off by steaming it off. Good luck.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:40 PM
CZ51
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if the tint is not terribly old or extremely cheap film, you will be able to remove it with a steamer like the ones they use at clothing stores. if its to far gone sometimes even that will not do it. if you go to a tint shop make it absolutely clear to them that you DO NOT want the rear defrost scraped. the lazy shops will automatically turn you down. if they know what they're doing they will take the job. best of luck
Old 01-23-2020, 04:56 PM
Matticus91
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by PAULEB07
Hey All,
My rear window tint in my 07 is horrible. I can't see out the rear window. It's so blurry especially at night. So I am looking for a reputable window tint place here on Long Island New York. If anyone has reference I would really appreciate it!. I might even do the all the glass. Is the tint from factory?

Thanks,
Paul
Just do some searching on Yelp or Google for a shop with good reviews, and call ahead to ask if they can do a C6 rear hatch window. Many shops will not touch the back windows because they are extremely difficult to do correctly. Charge for just the rear glass should be around $100. Whole car, depending on the film should be around $200-$250 including a sunstrip.

DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THE TINT YOURSELF. The shop has proper tools and will do this part cheap, don't risk ruining your defroster and leaving residue that you have to pay to have removed anyway.
The following users liked this post:
Fast Dawg (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 07:55 AM
PAULEB07
Drifting

Received 273 Likes on 226 Posts

I am going today to a shop for a look see and estimate. I will keep you posted. Thanks guys.
The following users liked this post:
Matticus91 (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 10:29 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You might want to ask the question in your regional forum for local answers.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:00 PM
C5forGreg
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 144 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
C6 of Year Winner (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by CZ51
the lazy shops will automatically turn you down. if they know what they're doing they will take the job.
I had a very experienced and reputable shop do mine, but even mine isn't perfect (around the defroster area toward the top where all the dots are). The shop agreed to take the job and has done many other vettes but they warned me it may not be perfect and they would do the best job possible if I was willing to leave the car with them all day, which I did. I'm happy with how it came out - the side windows are flawless. Here in sunny Florida, I'll take a decent tint job over no tint at all. When I park it outdoors and throw a sunshade on the windshield, it is so much cooler when I get back in it in the summer. They used a top of the line film in mine but I do get some of the fogginess sometimes that the OP describes. But I was seeing some of that before the tint - I think it's more the windows than the tint.

Last edited by C5forGreg; 01-24-2020 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:15 PM
bartsky
Safety Car

Received 328 Likes on 244 Posts

The pros will put vinyl over the dot matrix portion, looks so much better.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:47 PM
CZ51
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

good bad or bad film will stick in the matrix area if properly prepped and properly applied. I've done thousands of cars with matrix area's on the windows and the problem starts when trying to make the film dry too fast so that it sticks. this approach shocks the adhesive and hinders it from sticking properly. the matrix area needs to be left somewhat humid and left to cure in the shade so the water can evaporate slowly and the adhesive can make it way to the glass portions between matrix dots. in the case that the edges still don't stick you could use a dab of clear nail polish to help it stick.

the vinyl approach also works but personally I've never liked it because it takes away a big portion of the window. but like I said the matrix can def be tinted with proper technique.

Get notified of new replies

To Window Tinting

Quick Reply: Window Tinting