C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Key Odyssey

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 04:13 PM
paratrooper34
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts
Default My Key Odyssey

When I got my car almost a month ago, it came with only one fob. Once I got it home, I wanted to make sure the emergency key worked as I didn't want any issues should I get locked out. So imagine my surprise when I pulled that key out and it was a blank.

After getting a run-around from one of the local dealerships, I found one that was willing to cut that key with the factory supplied code. I ordered a fob with key and once it came in, they called me to pick it up. While there, the parts guy tried to cut the key, but his machine wasn't cooperating. So he sent me down the street to have a local hardware store cut them for me. The man who works there suggested I try a regular key of the same type to make sure it works before he cuts the ones for the fobs. That made sense, so he cut a key to test that the lock works. So far, so good.

With the key in hand, I tried to put it in the lock and it was not happening. Could not get it to go in at all. So I read some threads on here from people who had issues getting their keys to go in the lock. A couple of people noted that their locks were dirty and it took some lubricating oil and working the key around to free it up. So I sprayed oil in a couple of times before I went to bed and checked it in the morning. Still nothing. Then I grabbed a light and shined it into the face of the lock and it looked like there was a broken key inside. Luckily, I have a small set of hemostats and I was able to pull it right out. I am guessing the WD-40 helped.

Once I had the broken key out, the key I got from the locksmith worked perfectly and it unlocked the trunk. I had visions of tearing the trunk apart to service the lock, and thankfully, I was lucky and that wasn't necessary. I think the thing that amazes me the most is I never considered that a key was broken off in there.

Lesson learned: check all possibilities!

The following users liked this post:
Frantz (04-17-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 04:39 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

The previous owner and the dealership you bought the car from should have passed that information along about the key broken off in the lock. One of them should have removed it.

Last edited by Vette_DD; 01-23-2020 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:43 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
The previous owner and the dealership you bought the car from should have passed that information along about the key broken off in the lock. One of them should have removed it.
I bet the dealership didn't even have any idea it was in there. You think they check the manual trunk release cylinder on a car trade in? Most new cars don't even HAVE manual release cylinders, except the driver's door.
Vet Interested (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 08:09 PM
paratrooper34
Instructor

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I bet the dealership didn't even have any idea it was in there. You think they check the manual trunk release cylinder on a car trade in? Most new cars don't even HAVE manual release cylinders, except the driver's door.
I agree. I doubt they did. They had the car a very short time and as long as the fob opened the doors and they could start the car, they probably never even thought about using the key to open the trunk. Hell, they didn't even know how to put the top down. So they were obviously not familiar with C6s (which is understandable).
Old 01-23-2020, 08:50 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,148 Posts

Visually, the broken key looks like it was for a different key code. The hills and valleys look different, or is that my imagination? Did you by any chance compare the broken key pattern to the new key? If it's different, could explain how it got broken.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:17 AM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

I would never buy a car that didn't have both FOB's. If the owner was too lazy to get a second FOB, what else was lazy doing.
Keithwinnfl (05-07-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 03:50 AM
paratrooper34
Instructor

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
Visually, the broken key looks like it was for a different key code. The hills and valleys look different, or is that my imagination? Did you by any chance compare the broken key pattern to the new key? If it's different, could explain how it got broken.
I noticed that as well.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:13 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by ByRiver
I would never buy a car that didn't have both FOB's. If the owner was too lazy to get a second FOB, what else was lazy doing.
I think I've only given over both sets of keys one time trading in to a dealership. I go in with the intent of not leaving with the car they're trying to sell me, so if the deal works out, I'm pleasantly surprised. That also means I'm not gonna bring every doodad I have for the car to them. The time I gave both keys to them, I didn't drive that car there the first trip to the dealer because I was trading in two cars. So on the second trip I did bring both sets of keys.

You'd be amazed how little dealerships care too. Never once have they asked me before we settled on the price if I have two keys, never once have they asked me to get my second key, they couldn't care less.

That said, I only got one key for my daily driver truck, and while it'd be nice, and smart to have a second key, my first key was too worn to get a copy made correctly at Home Depot, so I haven't bothered to get a second key since then, because I only need the one key for it.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:57 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,805 Likes on 4,236 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

I think I've only given over both sets of keys one time trading in to a dealership. I go in with the intent of not leaving with the car they're trying to sell me, so if the deal works out, I'm pleasantly surprised. That also means I'm not gonna bring every doodad I have for the car to them. The time I gave both keys to them, I didn't drive that car there the first trip to the dealer because I was trading in two cars. So on the second trip I did bring both sets of keys.

You'd be amazed how little dealerships care too. Never once have they asked me before we settled on the price if I have two keys, never once have they asked me to get my second key, they couldn't care less.

That said, I only got one key for my daily driver truck, and while it'd be nice, and smart to have a second key, my first key was too worn to get a copy made correctly at Home Depot, so I haven't bothered to get a second key since then, because I only need the one key for it.
I’m the exact opposite Probably because I never go into a dealership just looking. I always work all the deals out over email & when I finally go in, it’s only to sign the paperwork & drive away. I also hate not getting an owner’s manual or both keys (if I buy used) so I don’t be that previous owner. Everything that came with my car when purchased new goes with it when I trade it in.

There have been a couple of occasions where my wife had the 2nd key on her & she was out of town that day, so I either dropped off the 2nd key or sent it to the dealer after the fact.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:59 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by JABCAT
I’m the exact opposite Probably because I never go into a dealership just looking. I always work all the deals out over email & when I finally go in, it’s only to sign the paperwork & drive away. I also hate not getting an owner’s manual or both keys (if I buy used) so I don’t be that previous owner. Everything that came with my car when purchased new goes with it when I trade it in.

There have been a couple of occasions where my wife had the 2nd key on her & she was out of town that day, so I either dropped off the 2nd key or sent it to the dealer after the fact.
I do all my stuff by email beforehand too, I just don't trust car salespeople, lol.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:08 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,805 Likes on 4,236 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

I do all my stuff by email beforehand too, I just don't trust car salespeople, lol.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:24 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

OP, one more thing to try, and that is the glove box lock, if you havn't done so already. If your key was cut from the VIN, it should fit, but stranger things have happened.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:54 PM
paratrooper34
Instructor

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
OP, one more thing to try, and that is the glove box lock, if you havn't done so already. If your key was cut from the VIN, it should fit, but stranger things have happened.
I will do that...Thank You!
Old 01-25-2020, 03:49 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

I've bought a couple of used vehicles before, and each time the dealer didn't have a 2nd key. I told them no deal unless I get two keys, so they get me another. I put the 2nd key away in a lock box in case I Iose the first key. Many of the motorcycle guys I ride with also only have one key. When they lose their only key, it can take a few days and a few hundred dollars to have a locksmith or dealer make them a new key. They could get a new key cut for $10.

It's each person's choice, but I rather have a second key ready to go.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:00 AM
bbjohn
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Just acquired a 2013GS. I have the same situation. One FOB with blank emergency key. I'm definitely going to get a second FOB and blank key. I assume a dealer needs the VIN# to get the key code. Do you have to supply proof of ownership as well? Doe's anyone know the ballpark cost to have the dealer cut the keys from the code since I don't have a key to go by?

Thanks
Old 04-17-2020, 07:41 AM
cdm747
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 236 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Having been through this, yes you will have to supply the dealership with proof of ownership. Key was $10 programming was $30. Probably saw me coming but that is how dealerships make their money.
Frantz (04-17-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 08:03 AM
paratrooper34
Instructor

Originally Posted by bbjohn
Just acquired a 2013GS. I have the same situation. One FOB with blank emergency key. I'm definitely going to get a second FOB and blank key. I assume a dealer needs the VIN# to get the key code. Do you have to supply proof of ownership as well? Doe's anyone know the ballpark cost to have the dealer cut the keys from the code since I don't have a key to go by?

Thanks
I had to show my registration to the parts guy at the dealership. I was going to have the dealer cut the key, but their machine was down when I was there. So I took the code they printed out to a locksmith and they cut the key for me. I was going to also have them do the programming, which they wanted $150.00 to do. I ended up doing it myself with the instructions from the owner's manual. It was easy to do and now my fobs are straight.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:07 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cdm747
Having been through this, yes you will have to supply the dealership with proof of ownership. Key was $10 programming was $30. Probably saw me coming but that is how dealerships make their money.
I'd say you actually got a bargain. $10 to cut a key from the VIN is not out of line, and reportedly, ~$150 is the going rate to get a fob programmed at the dealership.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:18 AM
bbjohn
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks guys, when I get a second FOB I'll program it myself. $10 to cut the key sounds good.

Get notified of new replies

To My Key Odyssey

Quick Reply: My Key Odyssey