C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New TPMS not connecting

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 10:52 PM
rebar
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default New TPMS not connecting

Just had a problem with one of the sensors on my 427 vert. I (stupidly) snapped off the valve stem of the TPMS on my Front left tire; bought a new ACDelco TPMS (same part number as the original) and had it installed while getting new front tires on Saturday. For the first 20 miles, had the same message as before, that I had a flat. Then the message flashed and changed to "service tire pressure sensor" and when scrolling through, the left from registered as "xx" while the other three are ok and reading pressures correctly. Does the new sensor need to be initialized? Do I have to replace the other three even though they are working fine? Please help as I am going to the dealer tomorrow for a front end alignment and want to know what to do. Thanks All.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:01 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Did you get it reprogrammed? You need a TPMS reset tool. Dealership will have one or you can buy one off Amazon for $10.

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-24-2020, 11:03 PM
rebar
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No the tire shop just told me to drive 20 miles and it would reset. They also didn't know where to place the jack and asked me if I had jack pucks. Morons.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:13 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by rebar
No the tire shop just told me to drive 20 miles and it would reset. They also didn't know where to place the jack and asked me if I had jack pucks. Morons.
The shop that did my tires seemed clueless about the TPMSensors. I had already purchased the reset tool, so I told them just forget it and that I would do it myself. The process is real simple and takes about 90 seconds total to reset all 4 sensors.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:19 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

As mentioned, you need to reset with the relearn tool. Other GM models will reset automatically after certain miles, but not the C6.
Start with LF-RF-RR-LR
Good you tube video showing the steps with the Relearn Tool as linked.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (02-25-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 10:05 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

If getting an alignment anyway, have dealer set it.
If only doing the one does it, fine; otherwise, they'll do all 4.

Bought new tires *&* sensors last Spring, on a Friday.
Made it abundantly clear 'new' TPMS require reinitializing, isn't like replacing tires w/ existing modules.
Parked it, on a Sunday 5 mi into a cruise it throws a CEL w/ xx all around.
Back to shop, watched 'em do it.

Weird thing is from shop to my home's maybe 5-6 miles, on drive home all seemed well.
Took a good 10 miles to trip errors.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:17 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,148 Posts

Originally Posted by rebar
Clearly, you need to find another tire shop. The one you went to sounds dangerous. Also, keep in mind that you can't program just one TPMS sensor. Once you start the programming sequence and initialize first sensor, all the rest are erased from the system. As pointed out, start at the LF and proceed clockwise.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:11 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
The shop that did my tires seemed clueless about the TPMSensors. I had already purchased the reset tool, so I told them just forget it and that I would do it myself. The process is real simple and takes about 90 seconds total to reset all 4 sensors.
this is all too common - the shop that did my C6 was clueless - he should have programmed the tpms before installing to make sure it worked but of course he didnt

Get notified of new replies

To New TPMS not connecting

Quick Reply: New TPMS not connecting