C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator shroud removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 12:10 AM
JonnyCap
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Huh. That's the same plate and bolts it looks like (not new ones), so I don't know how that could have happened. The top one almost looks cross threaded, but maybe that's just a shadow? And you did all 4 hand tight before tightening any of them down?
Old 04-21-2020, 12:49 AM
Deven Davidoff
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something fishy going on.... also you're planning on using that tensioner? I was told they can fail and make a mess.

Last edited by Deven Davidoff; 04-21-2020 at 12:50 AM.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:16 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,047 Posts

I'd pull all four bolts out (keeping track of which ones were where). Use the other two bolts to see if they'll seat....no need to torque them....unless the two original bolt threads show signs of being cross threaded or if metal shavings come out of the holes. If the bolts do seat, install the other two bolts in the remaining holes and gently seat them, then torque to spec. If the "new" top and bottom bolts don't seat (when using the alternate bolts), you likely cross threaded the holes.

I would use something like a Timesert NOT a helicoil for the repair.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:24 AM
scoterman1
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah those are the original bolts and plate. I cleaned up the threads on the bolts. They seem to go in fine without a a fight. I hand tightened them. I had the torque wrench out so I put 11 pounds on them but that didn't help. I tried reseating them again but it didn't seem like that plate had much play to begin with. I guess I'll just keep track and see if I can get any of the bolts to seat all the way in the top/bottom holes.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:38 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Did you bend those bolts some how?They should pull down flush.Earlier cars had hex head and no counter sunk holes in that plate.Loosen all the bolts and try to pull down evenly.Do not fully torque one bolt at a time!!!There's usually enough clearance in the holes to move the plate slightly to get it to line up better.With the plate removed see if the bolts will go all the way in.I always use new bolts in the new plate because you can't change the gasket on it and make sure your torque wrench is properly calibrated.Check for correct torque on the plate bolts as the earlier hex head bolts called for 18 lb/ft but counter sunk bolt torque may be different

Last edited by irok; 04-21-2020 at 08:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Radiator shroud removal