C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Base Parts Wear

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 08:44 PM
Phil Knopp
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Base Parts Wear

2006 Base model purchased in Aug 2018 with 12.9K miles (currently have 15.3K). I have stored the car the last two winters from Nov to Apr/May.
Other than oil/filter change before storing each Nov, the only other maintenance I have done is replace the battery (lesson learned from not hooking up to charge maintainer first winter).
I took the car into a Chevy Dealer today for full inspection with comment I have a slight belt squeal for initial 10-15 mins of driving and engine is running hotter than normal. I was told I needed to replace the water pump and a radiator flush. I can understand the flush, but don’t understand the need for a new water pump at only 15.3K miles. This makes me wonder if other parts may have shorter life because of being stored 6 months out of the year, with limited driving the remaining months. What has been others experience with parts life on stored car and not full time driving? Thank you for your feedback on my inquiry.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:17 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

The Dexcool should be replaced every 5 years regardless of mileage.Water pumps can quit at anytime but I wouldn't change the water pump unless it was leaking,wobbling or making noise.You can easily move the water pump pulley up,down or sideways if it is going bad
Old 05-27-2020, 07:55 AM
Phil Knopp
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by irok
The Dexcool should be replaced every 5 years regardless of mileage.Water pumps can quit at anytime but I wouldn't change the water pump unless it was leaking,wobbling or making noise.You can easily move the water pump pulley up,down or sideways if it is going bad
Thank you for the quick reply. The Waterpump is leaking as I had to fill the reservoir twice since taking out of storage. Dexcool will be replaced with radiator flush along with Waterpump. I will add to my maintenance log to replace every 5 years.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:26 PM
GigG
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 90 Posts

Also, since you aren't that far up North drive the thing some in the winter. You are missing some nice driving days in Nashville. Mechanical things don't like sitting around not being used at all.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:43 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

2005 here, currently 39K miles. I replaced the water pump 2 years ago at around 35K miles, it was leaking. I also replaced the coolant and all the hoses just because. The leak was VERY slight, added very little coolant but I could smell it when I pulled in the garage. I was told that seals tend to dry up and crack because of non use so that could be the reason for the low mileage failure. And I live in NY, my weather is generally worse than yours and I drive all winter. I pick and choose my days, never in snow or salty conditions but I take a good 75-100 mile drive at least once a month, the Vette and the Harley too. Drive your car, spread the fun out the entire 12 month year, they're not made to sit and look pretty!
Old 05-28-2020, 03:58 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I had the water pump leak at the seal at approx 30K miles. Replaced it, installed new silicone hoses, and Dexcool.
I have changed the Dexcool once since that time, but it is time for another next season.

Get notified of new replies

To 2006 Base Parts Wear

Quick Reply: 2006 Base Parts Wear