C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should we make a high-output LED projector retrofit for the Morimoto Headlights
Yes, that would be Great
10.00%
No, don't bother
50.00%
I don't drive enough at night to care
20.00%
I like Pie
20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Gauging Interest: Upgraded LED Morimdisotor Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 08:45 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Default Gauging Interest: Upgraded LED Morimdisotor Headlights

In my testing with the Morimoto style headlights, the performance of the single projector low beam was rather disappointing (see comparative photo) and the high beam was extremely dissatisfying.

As is, the LED projector beats the OEM HID projector only in center intensity, but is woefully lacking in width and foreground.

By comparison the LED projector I use in the new "Lux King" headlights blows the factory projector away

Factory HID projector:
Top Dead Center: 422 Lux
10 deg off: 172.5 Lux Notes:
Relatively intense across width of pattern. Some bleed over the top of cutoff.

Bi-LED projector (low beam mode)
Top Dead Center: 900 Lux
10 deg off: 84.5 Lux
Notes: Sharp cutoff, More focused hot spot in center of pattern.

My idea is to create a kit that would install the Lux King Bi-LED projector in the morimoto headlights resulting in a product that both looks great and performs equally great. Obviously this would require the opening of the morimoto headlight to accomplish, but the end result should be well worth it.

Please note your answer in the poll included here.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:56 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,796 Posts

No thanks, the OEM lights look better, and it's a hard pill to swallow to buy the very expensive morimoto to turn around and have to upgrade them. Far more likely to do the normal lux king upgrade.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:05 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I appreciate your efforts, but I don't know if it makes sense economically. The newest C6 is now 7 years old, and spending well over $1k on headlights is not in the cards for many owners. I looked in to a Morimoto conversion, but the price was just too much for me to justify it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Patsgarage:
2008 Corvette (05-26-2020), Fast Dawg (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 06:19 AM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
I appreciate your efforts, but I don't know if it makes sense economically. The newest C6 is now 7 years old, and spending well over $1k on headlights is not in the cards for many owners. I looked in to a Morimoto conversion, but the price was just too much for me to justify it.
Same here. I sold a C7 to buy a C6 so I could mod it, have a faster car than the C7, and still have money in the bank. Mission accomplished. I can't justify spending over a grand to make it look like a C7.

Get notified of new replies

To Gauging Interest: Upgraded LED Morimdisotor Headlights

Quick Reply: Gauging Interest: Upgraded LED Morimdisotor Headlights