C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"E" Clips on C6 Roof?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 04:06 PM
MT53
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "E" Clips on C6 Roof?

Hi! New to the Forum and just bought my first Vette, a '13 Grand Sport.
The roof rattles and pops and someone mentioned using "E" Clips on the roof, but I'm not sure exactly where you would put them. Can any one with experience using these kindly give me their opinions and where they should be placed and how?
Thanks in advance.
~MT53
Old 07-05-2020, 04:42 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
The e-clips were only used on the earlier latches that had rollers. The clip was to prevent side to side movement of the rollers.
Your 2013 has the new style front latches, that are solid, and they do not need the e-clip.
If your have a noisy top, usually keeping the weatherstripping lubricated will quiet the top.
Check the locator pins on the corners of the top to assure that they are tightened.
There are plenty of threads that discuss noisy tops.

Hopefully you will find this forum helpful. Most all the members don't mind sharing their knowledge, or tips.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 07-05-2020 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:04 PM
MT53
Cruising

Thanks for that information. Good to know. I couldn't figure out WHERE an E clip would go!!

Again, thanks!
Old 07-06-2020, 08:16 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,314 Likes on 886 Posts

Old 07-06-2020, 08:49 AM
MT53
Cruising

Thanks for the vlog, Spaceme117.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:54 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,314 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by MT53
Thanks for the vlog, Spaceme117.
No problem. One thing that helped my car's top was to replace the front latch screws and washers. Here is a link to the parts: 05-up C6 C7 Frnt Roof Handle Bolt Washer Spring Kit

Something else that can also help is to put wire heat shrink tubing onto the rear pins of the roof to prevent metal on metal contact.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:10 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,148 Posts

My observations are that there isn't a single universal cause to this problem, so there isn't a single universal fix. One thing to investigate simply involves holding the latch handles while driving over surfaces that cause the clicking and popping. You'll need someone riding shotgun to do this safely for the passenger side. If the clicks and pops can be felt through either handle, I can suggest something that's easy to do which you could try. It was the only method that worked for me after installing the extra o-rings and lubing the weather seals didn't.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:44 AM
MT53
Cruising

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
My observations are that there isn't a single universal cause to this problem, so there isn't a single universal fix. One thing to investigate simply involves holding the latch handles while driving over surfaces that cause the clicking and popping. You'll need someone riding shotgun to do this safely for the passenger side. If the clicks and pops can be felt through either handle, I can suggest something that's easy to do which you could try. It was the only method that worked for me after installing the extra o-rings and lubing the weather seals didn't.
How many "extra" O-rings? One on each side?
Old 07-06-2020, 10:45 AM
MT53
Cruising

Still learning the ways of the forum so not sure if my original reply made it you or not, Fats,,,but how many "extra" e-rings? One extra per side?

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2020, 10:55 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MT53
Still learning the ways of the forum so not sure if my original reply made it you or not, Fats,,,but how many "extra" e-rings? One extra per side?

Thanks!
One extra o-ring (not e-ring) per front post is what works for some folks. But, like I said, not for me. If it works for you, keep a couple of extras in the console because they tend to fall off and get lost if you are R&Ring the top.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:03 AM
MT53
Cruising

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
One extra o-ring (not e-ring) per front post is what works for some folks. But, like I said, not for me. If it works for you, keep a couple of extras in the console because they tend to fall off and get lost if you are R&Ring the top.
Yea, I meant O-Ring, not E-Ring.
Thanks, FatsWaller.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:28 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

@MT53 , you can set an option by way of the user control panel to automatically subscribe to threads that you post or reply to. You can also set an option to get an email alert when someone posts into any thread to which you are subscribed. You can unsubscribe to any, or all threads at any time, and thus stop getting alerts for those. Personal Messages can also be sent for which you would also get an email alert. My guess is that most forum members have those options set, otherwise it's too difficult to keeps track of what you have posted and whether or not there have been any responses. There is also some requirement about needing to log back into the forum to get further alerts on a thread, but I'm still trying to figure out exactly how that works because it doesn't seem to behave consistently. However, there is no special alert when a user posts a question in a thread aimed at another user to tell them that someone asked them a question. You just need to wait until they get the alert, read it, and are able or want to reply. Or they decide to check the thread directly so see what else has been posted. It doesn't work like IM.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:28 AM
Racer1735
Pro

Received 209 Likes on 100 Posts

NAPA Syl-Glyde is a very good lubricant that is rubber-safe. It solved the creaking problem on my '05 C6. I apply it (sparingly) every Spring on every rubber seal and grommet in the roof mechanism.
Old 07-18-2020, 01:39 PM
Slash621
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm similar to OP and just bought a 2011 grand sport...

Do I have these modified handles? It seems like I should do a weekend project that covers a lot of things, but I dont know any part numbers...
  1. Clean all the roof connecting hardware and seals
  2. Protect all the seals with 303 Aerospace
  3. Torque pins and connectors to 18ft pounds (seems to be common in the videos)
  4. Install E-Clips?? Does anyone have a part number or pic of the location?
  5. Install O-Rings?? Does anyone have a part number or pic of the location?
  6. Replace Hardware in the latches. I found a kit Latch Hardware Kits

Do all of these steps apply to me? I figure I just need to do all of them as preventative maintenance.
Old 07-18-2020, 02:29 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,395 Posts

2011 doesn't require the E Clips. My 2011 targa never squeaks and the only thing I do is apply a rubber dressing to the seals once a year. Unless you're having issues I won't chase problems that don't exist.

Get notified of new replies

To "E" Clips on C6 Roof?

Quick Reply: "E" Clips on C6 Roof?