C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Sound Fluctuates

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 07:40 PM
thehueg
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Radio Sound Fluctuates

My 2008 C6 Coupe is exhibiting a weird issue with the sound system (factory Bose). The speakers, I think mostly driver’s door, will lose bass altogether and the sound is very “tinny”. This is when the factory radio is playing. Then, it will revert to normal, full sound. If I play a CD, I don’t get this bass-on/bass-off phenomenon. So, do I focus on the driver’s door speaker or is the radio head unit failing to send a proper signal or the speakers?
Old 07-06-2020, 01:32 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,173 Posts

Could be either, since the Bose amp sends a signal to the thumper speakers amp in the door.

With the thumper going in and out, either a thermal problem that is shutting down the channel to the amp itself, or just a intermediate wiring/connector problem instead (could be either signal, or just power to the thumper amp isntead). Hell, if the thumper has seen a hard life, may just be a problem in the speaker portion itself.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:45 AM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,604 Posts

I’ve owned four Corvettes - C4, C5, C7, and now a C6 - and the head unit in the C6 is by far the worst I’ve ever heard. I replaced mine with a Sony and it sounds great now.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:10 AM
thehueg
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I've considered replacing the head unit for various reasons. However, I have a HUD system and from what I've read, I think switching the head unit to an aftermarket one loses my HUD connectivity, right?
Old 07-06-2020, 08:15 AM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by thehueg
I've considered replacing the head unit for various reasons. However, I have a HUD system and from what I've read, I think switching the head unit to an aftermarket one loses my HUD connectivity, right?
The only HUD connectivity that you lose is if you have navigation it will no longer be displayed on the HUD. Everything else displays just fine. I have navigation in my 09 and I don’t miss the navigation display in my HUD vs the improvement in sound and other technology, like Apple Car Play, my Sony provides.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:57 PM
mrk1957
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I replaced my stock radio a few months ago. Since then I started having battery drain issues and lately volume fluctuations. I reinstalled my stock radio and both problems went away. I'm sure the PAC rp5-gm11 radio interface is the reason for problems. We're taking a long trip soon and I don't want any problems with aftermarket stuff, so I'm sticking with stock for now. I know that dosen't answer your question, but read up on the PAC interface if you're thinking of going aftermarket. I know PAC has good customer support so I'll be giving them a call.

Get notified of new replies

To Radio Sound Fluctuates

Quick Reply: Radio Sound Fluctuates