C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Corvette base upgrading to Bose Premium Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 10:42 PM
Pitchblackc6
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Corvette base upgrading to Bose Premium Speakers

Hello, I presently own a 2005 base corvette with the base sound system and single CD player. I have recently purchased a full Bose Premium sound system (all speakers, amp, and GPS head unit) with the intention of installing it in my car in place of the base system.

Has anyone attempted this before and if it is possible is it a simple bolt on replacement?

Thanks!!

Old 08-14-2020, 07:42 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,173 Posts

Simple bolt in, yes. Simple wiring, no since you will need to change out some wiring harnesses/connectors.

Hence will need to add in the connector and wiring for the bose amp, and then run the power for the thumpers in the doors.

As for Nav unit, will need to install a VSS connector and wiring, install the GPS antenna, then install the mic up in the drivers A cover.

Simply, its the connectors/wiring for the bose system that is different from a non-Bose car that you will need to change to get the system to work, then add in the other added items for the nav system as well. Bluntly, would have been better off just going after market head unit and after market amp and speaker, then to retro the wiring harness/connectors out to Bose instead.
The following users liked this post:
Pitchblackc6 (08-14-2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 07:13 PM
Pitchblackc6
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Simple bolt in, yes. Simple wiring, no since you will need to change out some wiring harnesses/connectors.

Hence will need to add in the connector and wiring for the bose amp, and then run the power for the thumpers in the doors.

As for Nav unit, will need to install a VSS connector and wiring, install the GPS antenna, then install the mic up in the drivers A cover.

Simply, its the connectors/wiring for the bose system that is different from a non-Bose car that you will need to change to get the system to work, then add in the other added items for the nav system as well. Bluntly, would have been better off just going after market head unit and after market amp and speaker, then to retro the wiring harness/connectors out to Bose instead.
oh man thank you so much! I didn’t realize there would be different wiring but that makes sense, unfortunately I did not get any wiring with the speakers and head unit.

Do you have any idea if the head unit on its own will function if installed on its own, or if there is a different harness for the Bose that I would need to wire in? I wouldn’t be expecting gps or anything like that, just so it looks good and powers the speakers.

thank you very much for taking the time to share your knowledge!
Old 08-14-2020, 07:22 PM
Chevyrelic
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 142 Posts

Question: I thought that the navigation units had to be programmed to the car? Are they just plug and play?
Old 08-14-2020, 07:39 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevyrelic
Question: I thought that the navigation units had to be programmed to the car? Are they just plug and play?
All head units have to be programmed to the car with a Tech II.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:51 PM
Chevyrelic
Pro

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
All head units have to be programmed to the car with a Tech II.
Thanks, that’s what I thought. I didn’t see that mentioned in Dano’s post and wanted to make sure the OP knew that as well...👍🏻
Old 08-14-2020, 08:01 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I would suggest, do yourself a favor and go with an aftermarket head unit. Fairly simple to install and a huge upgrade over the factory navigation unit.
Old 08-15-2020, 02:41 PM
Jason71
Burning Brakes

Received 802 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
I would suggest, do yourself a favor and go with an aftermarket head unit. Fairly simple to install and a huge upgrade over the factory navigation unit.
It might be petty, but I would miss the C6 corvette logo when the radio is off.
Old 08-15-2020, 05:31 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason71
Most of the aftermarket radios allow you upload a custom splash screen so you'd still be able to have the logo.
Jason71 (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 06:24 PM
Jason71
Burning Brakes

Most of the aftermarket radios allow you upload a custom splash screen so you'd still be able to have the logo.
Good to know @Corvette_Ed
Old 08-15-2020, 07:56 PM
Dano523
Race Director

If you mean that the radios memory has to be cleared with a tech II, so the radio will remarry to it new home in another car, then yes.

As for programming, the clear process is not real programming, but just memory clearing instead.
Radio Programing would be if you are adding XM radio to a unit that never had it before, and you go into the radio to turn on the XM channel button on it instead.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:07 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by Pitchblackc6
oh man thank you so much! I didn’t realize there would be different wiring but that makes sense, unfortunately I did not get any wiring with the speakers and head unit.

Do you have any idea if the head unit on its own will function if installed on its own, or if there is a different harness for the Bose that I would need to wire in? I wouldn’t be expecting gps or anything like that, just so it looks good and powers the speakers.

thank you very much for taking the time to share your knowledge!

This should cover you for the most part.
http://www.kawal.net/USB%20Nav.htm

Hence will need to cut in/add wires for the bose amp connector that needs to be added in for the bose amp.

Will need to add in the VSS connector since it not there on your car,

Will need change the door thumper connectors, and add power wires for the thumpers since they have amps in them.

Will need to add in the mic connector/wiring as well.

Hence bose cars with the standard CD players, already have all the extra wiring connectors/harness in the car, so adding in Nav is a snap. Hence if you ordered a base car with Nav, you got the bose system as part of the deal, since it has all the connector/wiring harness from the start. Non bose cars, and adding in Nav with bose amps, now means that you have to pick up the needed connector, and start adding in the wires. In the case of speaker wires, they need to be cut and feed into the bose amp connector.

Old 08-15-2020, 08:28 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason71
Pictures of my Corvette themed startup screen and background.

Jason71 (08-17-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 10:09 PM
Chevyrelic
Pro

If you mean that the radios memory has to be cleared with a tech II, so the radio will remarry to it new home in another car, then yes.

As for programming, the clear process is not real programming, but just memory clearing instead.
Radio Programing would be if you are adding XM radio to a unit that never had it before, and you go into the radio to turn on the XM channel button on it instead.
Yes sir, that was the reason for asking the question. I had thought that the OP might simply try to install the nav unit (with the appropriate cables/connectors) and the nav/radio unit still wouldn’t function. 👍🏻
Old 08-16-2020, 10:03 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Yes sir, that was the reason for asking the question. I had thought that the OP might simply try to install the nav unit (with the appropriate cables/connectors) and the nav/radio unit still wouldn’t function. 👍🏻

BCM does not check the radio until you start the car. So when you first install the radio, and just have the car in ACC mode, it does not trigger the security radio lock out yet, and radio works as normal. As soon as you start the car and the BCM does the module checks, this is where the Radio will security lock out, and will need to be memory cleared with Tech II, so the radio will remarry in with the car's BCM infor on the next start up.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:30 AM
Jason71
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
Pictures of my Corvette themed startup screen and background.

K
If you were going to start replacing speakers/HU.......what would you suggest?

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 Corvette base upgrading to Bose Premium Speakers

Quick Reply: 2005 Corvette base upgrading to Bose Premium Speakers