C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked windshield

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 04:22 PM
John K MD
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cracked windshield

Delete post

Last edited by John K MD; 09-24-2020 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:39 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,791 Likes on 4,230 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Any glass speciality shop, i.e. Safelite, should be able to do it. My local Chevy dealer shows the OEM windshields to be about $400 or so yet in almost every thread I see on the topic people are paying $700-1,200 so I don’t know. Some say it’s for the HUD-specific windshield but that also shows $400ish on the dealer’s website

We just had to have the windshield on my wife’s Outlander replaced & from the same guy who replaced it last year the price was double. He said he’s getting raked over the coals from the suppliers “due to covid”. Same thing on a single pane window on my house. Same company that replaced a much larger window for us before was over double on this window - I got the same excuse “prices have gone up due to covid”.

Last edited by JABCAT; 09-22-2020 at 04:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
John K MD (09-23-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 04:47 PM
marinablu67
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by John K MD
Took a hit with stone on I 70 and created rock chip and approx 10-12 in crack extending to the top edge of the glass. They say can't be fixed, needs to be replaced. Can most good shops do this , or does Chevrolet dealer need to do it? Thanks.
I've used Safelite before for my cars, but not my Vette so far, haven't had to.. Some of the the stores will even come to your home.https://www.safelite.com/store-locator.
Just make sure you specify that your car has the heads up display, to get the correct windshield.
The following 2 users liked this post by marinablu67:
Dcasole (09-23-2020), John K MD (09-23-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 04:55 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,801 Posts

I've used Safelite for all 3 of my windshield replacements too. I highly recommend them. Great customer service, and a great warranty. I had them fill a big chip, found that the repair was extremely visible once it had cured because it ended up cracking the windshield slightly around the chip, and they replaced the windshield under warranty as a result.
The following 3 users liked this post by Corvette_Ed:
Dcasole (09-23-2020), Fast Dawg (09-23-2020), John K MD (09-23-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 07:34 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,013 Likes on 2,171 Posts

Just a FYI, but safelite's parent company is the ones that makes the Glass for GM to begin with (they bought the company).

At one time, you could get the windshields with the GM part of the labeling removed since they had a over run of them, for a hell of discount direct since they did not have to kick money back to GM for the windshield being labeled GM.

John K MD (09-23-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 11:23 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Safelite has replaced the windshield twice in my GS, with excellent service both times.
The following 3 users liked this post by Patsgarage:
Dcasole (09-23-2020), Fast Dawg (09-23-2020), John K MD (09-23-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 10:32 AM
John K MD
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for your input. JK
marinablu67 (09-23-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 10:37 AM
John K MD
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Old 09-23-2020, 10:38 AM
John K MD
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Old 09-23-2020, 08:11 PM
VetteofSD
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

You do not actually "have" to buy the HUD specific windshield. The difference between the standard windshield and the HUD windshield is a layer of special material inside the glass where the HUD is displayed. The same technique used for aircraft to minimize glare, distortion, and maximize clarity, which is really cool! but a little overkill for your car in my opinion (especially for the price of this other one). I understand wanting to keep everything OEM/"as it should be", but it's a windshield. Plus if you drive a lot like I do, it can save you quite a lot of $$.

I drive my car a lot (~20K a year) and finally had a rock pop up and crack mine on the way to AZ. The best price for the HUD windshield (at the time) was ~$800 + install. I decided to shop around and found a local windshield shop and where the installer told me about this little gem! There is an aftermarket windshield for C6s by a company called Pilkington Solar. She apparently has replaced quite a few Vette windshields and was insistent the HUD will look nearly identical. The cost would be $280 installed. For the price, I decided to give it a shot. Made an appointment for later that week and she had it done in an hour. I'm 26 with perfect eyesight, and If I'm looking really hard and had to point out the difference, I'd say it's maybe 5% less bright/green and 3% wider. That's it. The display is perfectly clear and I never would have known the difference if I didn't have another C6 (my dads) to compare side-by-side with. Definitely worth looking into if you want to save some money or drive in an area where you're more at risk of getting chipped. Hell, you could replace it 3 times before you paid for the HUD glass. Hope this helps!

Last edited by VetteofSD; 09-23-2020 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:23 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Just a FYI, but safelite's parent company is the ones that makes the Glass for GM to begin with (they bought the company).
At one time, you could get the windshields with the GM part of the labeling removed since they had a over run of them, for a hell of discount direct since they did not have to kick money back to GM for the windshield being labeled GM.
Dano most of the time your information is spot on but this time you are so far off off base ...

Safelite's parent does not make glass . Our parent is Belron International and we are the largest auto glass repair and replacement company in the world
What we do is, along with being the largest buyer of OEM branded glass we also buy the OE equivalent which is the OEM manufactured part but with no GM logo and we have never sold a AP Tecnoglass with the GM logos blasted off

And while there were other oem manufacturers that would blast the oem logo off, AP Tech and the corvette part number was NEVER one of the these parts as the corvette and its low production numbers never experienced an overrun
With the current production shortages caused by Covid you will be hard pressed to find an OEM or an OE branded glass as the manufacturers are concentrating on new car production
And in response to the other post , yes on a C6 a NON HUD windshield will reflect the HUD image just fine and i can guarantee that you will not be able to tell the difference . If anyone would like a detailed explanation as to why the C6 is a unicorn in this respect, send me a PM and I will explain

Dave
PS Pat thank you for your business

Patsgarage (09-23-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 10:52 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,791 Likes on 4,230 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Dcasole
And in response to the other post , yes on a C6 a NON HUD windshield will reflect the HUD image just fine and i can guarantee that you will not be able to tell the difference .
I’ll agree that a non-HUD windshield will reflect the HUD image just fine, I will disagree that those with good eyesight won’t be able to tell the difference. I installed a HUD in my 1LT Grand Sport (obviously non-HUD windshield) and my 3LZ Z06 has the HUD and HUD windshield. The image in the Z06 is noticeably crisper than in the GS. After looking at the HUD in the Z, the image in the GS has just a slight blur to it. Granted both cars have OEM windshields.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:01 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Can’t figure out why anyone would try to save a few $$ on a non hud vs correct windshield when the insurance pays for it.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:23 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JABCAT
I’ll agree that a non-HUD windshield will reflect the HUD image just fine, I will disagree that those with good eyesight won’t be able to tell the difference. I installed a HUD in my 1LT Grand Sport (obviously non-HUD windshield) and my 3LZ Z06 has the HUD and HUD windshield. The image in the Z06 is noticeably crisper than in the GS. After looking at the HUD in the Z, the image in the GS has just a slight blur to it. Granted both cars have OEM windshields.
This is not my first go around on this subject and I have challenged many to a blind test where I will dry set two Corvette windshields in a persons car ONE HUD and one NON HUD and bet $1,000 you will not be able to pick the HUD windshield 2 out of 5 times ..
It has to do with where the image is projected on the glass, the curvature and the angle of the installation .
Now some cars do need a HUD interlayer otherwise a ghosting of the image will occur but with a C6 all the stars line up where you will see a perfect image . If your image is not crisp between two C6 's its not the glass ... its the difference in tollerences of the HUD projection UNIT

Read about what a HUD interlayer does here to eliminate a ghosting because the image is being projected on both layers if glass , basicly is a prism that corrects the second image enough that it lines up with the first
https://www.s-lecfilm.com/eng/produc...hud/index.html
Dave
Old 09-24-2020, 07:29 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by saplumr
Can’t figure out why anyone would try to save a few $$ on a non hud vs correct windshield when the insurance pays for it.
It is not free in all states, , only certain states like FL mandate glass coverage be included in your policy .... and you can best believe they raised your rate over a state that doea not include glass coverage lol lol

For other states Full Glass coverage for a car that is 10 to 15 years old is expensive and not everyone carries full coverage .

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 09-24-2020 at 07:37 AM.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:33 PM
VetteofSD
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
I looked into it originally. I have full coverage out here in CA and my insurance (USAA) does have a glass replacement claim that you can fill out, but it only covers a windshield repair, not a replacement. At least not without paying your comprehensive deductible at that point it would've cost me more than her shop did and I would have had to deal with my insurance company. No thanks
Old 09-24-2020, 09:58 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteofSD
I looked into it originally. I have full coverage out here in CA and my insurance (USAA) does have a glass replacement claim that you can fill out, but it only covers a windshield repair, not a replacement. At least not without paying your comprehensive deductible at that point it would've cost me more than her shop did and I would have had to deal with my insurance company. No thanks
Never heard of repair only or any deductible for glass coverage.

Get notified of new replies

To Cracked windshield

Quick Reply: Cracked windshield