C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 shift knob action

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 12:19 PM
bikemiser
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts
Default A6 shift **** action

I know all the stuff about park lock pawl electrically not disengaging. This is about the A6 shift lever button on top of shift lever that appears to push a pin on a spring device to keep from inadvertently moving shift lever while driving to a position that will damage the transmission. My button (devise) is not working smoothly and I wonder if it is safe to just spray some lube or wd40 in this mechanism to make things work better. I think some have removed the cover on top of the shift lever that exposes how the button is held in place. Any comments is appreciated.
Thanks
Jim
Old 11-23-2020, 03:31 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by bikemiser
I know all the stuff about park lock pawl electrically not disengaging. This is about the A6 shift lever button on top of shift lever that appears to push a pin on a spring device to keep from inadvertently moving shift lever while driving to a position that will damage the transmission. My button (devise) is not working smoothly and I wonder if it is safe to just spray some lube or wd40 in this mechanism to make things work better. I think some have removed the cover on top of the shift lever that exposes how the button is held in place. Any comments is appreciated.
Thanks
Jim
YMMV .... but I've had excellent luck especially with A6 shifting mechanisms and "Dry Teflon Lube". The stuff goes on wet and dries white. Easy to wipe off unless the surface has a deep small texture. Use the small hose that comes with the spray can and run it in the boot and push the button.

Last edited by Dutch08; 11-23-2020 at 03:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bikemiser (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 07:07 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

First, never use WD-40 as a lube. It is for water displacement, and for protection from water when a light film is applied and wiped off. It dries slightly gummy, and can hold dust, dirt, etc.

The silver cover on top pries off easily, if one uses light pressure. Then, the black button that pivots when you press it will come right out. Lube it, or if you need to replace it, there is one seller on ebay who sells a copy of it for $25. I have NEVER seen the black button available anywhere else. The dealer will only sell you a new shifter, no parts from the shifter.

Get notified of new replies

To A6 shift knob action

Quick Reply: A6 shift knob action