C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering Purchase - Need advise

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 01:46 PM
guygeo
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, it is not my 1st car... probably 45 cars so far... never had an issue....I believe on the person.
And the car will be stuck inside for 5 months anyway SNOW. He has a very nice garage and the Chevelle Malibu 1967 that I have seen next to the Vette, I trust the seller.

Last edited by guygeo; 11-30-2020 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:14 PM
jjfabs
Pro

Received 257 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by guygeo
Well, it is not my 1st car... probably 45 cars so far... never had an issue....I believe on the person.
And the car will be stuck inside for 5 months anyway SNOW. He has a very nice garage and the Chevelle Malibu 1967 that I have seen next to the Vette, I trust the seller.
I'm glad you trust the guy. Understand, you came on the forum and asked for people's opinion and that is what you got.
It is a bit odd that someone puts a car up for sale and is willing to wait 5 months to finalize the deal. Why wouldn't he tell you to "come in May with
the money and the car is yours if I haven't sold it." I can think of two reasons, one, you are paying over the market price, two he is a really nice guy.
Remember, "opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one and everyone thinks the other guy's stinks"

Old 11-30-2020, 03:35 PM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,605 Posts

Originally Posted by JSB ZR1 Vince
That's two different "daily driven" comments. I've never daily driven any of my sports cars over the last 20 years. They are all weekend and fair-weather toys. That said, ALL of my daily drivers during that same time period have been (and will continue to be) autos, although back before I could afford these secondary amusement vehicles, my trucks were manuals as was my first car (1976 Toyota Celica, 1987 Toyota pickup, 1996 Mazda B3000). I have no problem daily-driving manuals.
I bought my first Corvette when I was 32. That, plus a boat, and a kid made it impossible to buy another car to be a daily driver. Fast forward nine years, a promotion at work, and a relocation, and I bought my C5 convertible 19 years ago. During the 13 years that I owned it my daily drivers were two Nissan Maximas, an Audi A6, and a Infiniti M35x. The C5 sat on the garage and I only put 22,000 miles on it in 13 years. I sold the C5 to buy the C7 when I retired and no longer needed the Infiniti so I sold it. I drove the C7 wherever I went. I bought a MB E350 AMG Cabriolet in 2018 because my wife could no longer take long trips in the C7. The C7 was not getting driven enough so I sold it in May 2019. I used the money from that sale to buy my C6 to mod last November. I did the mods, ceramic coated it, and still had money in the bank from the sale of the C7. The C6 has only been driven about 4000 miles in the last year. I owned sports cars before my C4 - two Nissan Z cars. They were daily drivers and were manual transmissions. Atlanta traffic is well known for being horrible and when I bought my C4 I decided to give my left leg a rest.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:41 PM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,605 Posts

Originally Posted by jjfabs
I'm glad you trust the guy. Understand, you came on the forum and asked for people's opinion and that is what you got.
It is a bit odd that someone puts a car up for sale and is willing to wait 5 months to finalize the deal. Why wouldn't he tell you to "come in May with
the money and the car is yours if I haven't sold it." I can think of two reasons, one, you are paying over the market price, two he is a really nice guy.
Remember, "opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one and everyone thinks the other guy's stinks"
......and I agree with your "stinky" opinion. If I make a deal on a car I'm going to get it. The longest a car I have ever bought - and I've bought plenty in 45 years - sat was a week and that was my 09 C6 that I bought a year ago. It was in San Antonio and I was in Atlanta. I needed a week to get a reasonable price on a flight to go pick it up, but I wired the money to the dealer where I bought it the day we made the deal. They parked it inside their shop and let it sit until I flew in to pick it up.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:53 PM
guygeo
Intermediate

Guys, guys... I am in Montreal.. SNOW SNOW SNOWMAN....guys this was my view last week...

How do you want me to drive a Vette for 60 milles??? hello???

No, I understand your point of view.. but there are a lot of tire kickers for no reason... been there before with my Boxsters..
The price I paid was fair, did a lot of comparo and cross shopping. Anyway, prices tend to go up with the Spring fever... no?
See, I say ok, I'll get the car in May, give no deposit, then the guy removes the ad, and in May I say....Oh sorry, I found another deal.. you will be piiiissed because of that.. so a little deposit secures the deal, we complete the transaction when the merde blanche is gone
I think it is a win-win deal for both of us.
Tks all your your input.

Last edited by guygeo; 11-30-2020 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:54 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

If I had a car for sale and had space to store it and was given a sizeable non refundable deposit, why not?
The following users liked this post:
guygeo (11-30-2020)
Old 11-30-2020, 04:53 PM
MysteryMob
Pro

Received 180 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by NukeMMC
Congrats. I was looking at a 2008 Z51/NPP Auto with 25K miles when I bought my 2011 MT GS/NPP/F55 with 41K miles for $7K more. The one thing I would do to the auto paddles is add the F1 paddles and switch the wires on the left to have it pull to downshift like just about all other high-performance cars.
For a new-to-me car, I changed all the fluids (this hurts a little with my 10+ quart dry sump). I just don't trust dealers to do the right thing on a car they bought from auction.
Otherwise, enjoy your new toy. Looks to be a nice ride!

By the way, there is one more common C6 issue in the Driver's seat. Apparently when you shift the seat back and forth, like when using the exit-mode and I see memory seats on your door, it tends to snag and loosen the side-airbag connector under the seat and cause an airbag warning on the dash. This is also covered under the 10 year extension, but I doubt you qualify. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to fix.
It's the right side that needs the wires switched. Pulling downshifts on both paddles in OEM form, switching the wires on the left side would result in an upshift on the left and downshift on the right.
Old 11-30-2020, 06:25 PM
vezePilot
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

I'm really enjoying my 2007 A6 ... had it out in the mountains today for a little spirited driving. I never use it in auto, and always use the paddles. Driving in the mountains with traffic, when there is a passing lane this car is FAR MORE CAPABLE than is required. Even if it is an auto.

Also, this particular Corvette has no problems at all, and I have put about 20,000 miles on it in less than three years. I replaced the HB when I bought the car, but it may not have needed it. The Hooker Axle-back exhaust that I installed often interferes with how the audio sounds. And that's intentional.

Last edited by vezePilot; 11-30-2020 at 06:30 PM.
Mike Green9 (12-01-2020)
Old 11-30-2020, 10:40 PM
Barchetta
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Answers in bold. Sounds like you're coming a euro car and are terrified. Don't bex these cars are rock solid, with a handful of rare and minor issues that retire guys here act like are constant and catastrophic issues.
Thanks. More like concerned about longevity and reliability. Well, you're very close though. I am considering Lexus, maybe an IS or GS 350, BUT I have a huge admiration for Corvettes. I've had so many sports cars its hard to keep track. Not too long ago I had a C4 that I bought as a one-owner with something 40,000 miles that just needed a bit of reconditioning. It was in great shape but had been sitting for a long time. I had the Optispark distributer replaced, new injectors, plugs, wires, bigger radiator, I had custom leather interior. I drove it everywhere from one end of the state to the other, over the hills and through the woods (on roads of course) It was trouble-free once I got the small issues worked out. Later in my ownership I hurt my back and couldn't fall in and climb out without extreame pain and it just sat in the garage under car cover so I sold it. But now I'm better and am looking for something fun to drive again. You can check my other posts on here, I might still have pictures of it.
Old 11-30-2020, 11:02 PM
Barchetta
Racer

Originally Posted by Fast Dawg
Known issues - but these don't apply to every C6 built. Some owners have better luck than others......

... I went out and checked the date codes on my tires and found all of them to be over six years old. Tires that old can develop dry rot on the inside where you can't see it and blow out. .....
Good info. Thanks. Interesting that you say that about tires. My daily driver is a 2003 4Runner that I bought from the original owner a few years ago with only 30K miles! LOL! I have good luck finding these one owner unicorns. It's the rare V8 that is known to go like 500,000 miles. Anyway, the Michelin's were about 6 years old but from outward appearance had great tread and looked good. I needed new TPMS so I took in in. The shop guy said he wouldn't replace them because of the hardly noticeable hairline cracks on the sidewalls that looked to me like nothing more than surface UV. He said it was a liability and tires could be bad. The more I looked into it 6 years old seems to be what most are recommending for new tires to be safe even if tread is still good. I've never in my life had a blow out, and never want to especially in a Corvette driving fast.
Fast Dawg (12-01-2020)
Old 11-30-2020, 11:16 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,212 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by guygeo
Well, like I mention, rants do not affects me. Easier to resell an auto. and the N is manual. case dismissed.
Auto manual debate.

Same as white bread and whole wheat...we all have to go for a dump anyway

The six speed auto does not sell better than manual on a 6th gen vette imo...and let me be the first....you wish it was a stick with the first 200 miles lol....ax me how I know....anyhow though enjoy the new ride!

Last edited by hawkgfr; 11-30-2020 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11-30-2020, 11:18 PM
Barchetta
Racer

Originally Posted by BadAV
Are you the same Barchetta that is on F-150 Forum?
No, that's not me. I Don't own a Ford.
Old 11-30-2020, 11:29 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
The six speed auto does not sell better than manual on a 6th gen vette imo
Lol @ your opinion.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:08 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,212 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by jimijam
Lol @ your opinion.

Well yea I was dumb enough to buy a c6 and a c7 with an auto....(the c6 was horrible) the other 4 had all the pedals...
Old 12-01-2020, 12:38 PM
Bianco13
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jjfabs
In the middle of last winter a friend of mine purchased a 68 Vette, owner was more than happy to store the car in his garage until Spring no charge. There is nice people out there, especially car guys.
However, when I purchased one of my cars in the middle of February many years ago. I had it flat bedded to my house ASAP, I don't trust anyone! LoL,
The following 2 users liked this post by Bianco13:
Fast Dawg (12-01-2020), guygeo (12-01-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 08:20 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

The six speed auto does not sell better than manual on a 6th gen vette imo
Originally Posted by jimijam
Lol @ your opinion.
Well yea I was dumb enough to buy a c6 and a c7 with an auto....(the c6 was horrible) the other 4 had all the pedals...
But you do know that only about 25% (or somewhere thereabout) of the C6s sold had four pedals. So not sure about the auto selling comment.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:40 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Currently C6 manuals are getting a 5% to 10% premium over autos. And the more the cars age the larger the premium becomes. Anyone that argues this just doesn't follow historic Corvette values.

We can argue the reasons and we can argue the actual percentage, but apples to apples, a manual will sell faster and for more than an auto.

Get notified of new replies

To Considering Purchase - Need advise

Old 12-01-2020, 10:47 PM
guygeo
Intermediate

OK, I'm out now. tks.
Passez de belles fêtes
Old 12-02-2020, 12:06 AM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Iceaxe
Currently C6 manuals are getting a 5% to 10% premium over autos. And the more the cars age the larger the premium becomes.
Apples and oranges there, guy. But please show me your source for C6 vettes in the OP's local market over the past 180 days so I can pinpoint the exact "premium" insted of a range. I'm sure we both agree this alleged "premium" on the C6 also existed on the showroom floor, so there's that.

The topic at hand though, is actually that manuals are easier to sell, which they are not. GM proved that and nothing has changed. You act as if there are more people today that want manuals than there were when GM build these C6s. Maybe if GM knew what you did, they would have built more manuals? Fact is, less people today want manuals than they did 10, 20, 30, 50 years ago. They are getting harder and harder to find, even in a C8.

You probably recall that manuals used to mated to the higher HP engines and kicking a clutch to the floor was the only way to get one. That isn't necessarily true anymore. Those old cars with manuals were faster and therefore more desireable today for someone looking to fork out money on an old car that is outdated tech. The car the OP is looking at has the same HP engine in the auto and manual, albeit one could argue there is more HP eaten up by the auto than a manual before it hits the pavement. However, that auto car will beat the manual car down a track or on a closed street because it just shifts faster each and everytime. We also probably agree that some of the worlds fastest production cars today are auto cars. Tech changes. Time changes. Today's car enthusiasts have changed. Even the '19 ZR1 offered an auto trans.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimijam:
guygeo (12-02-2020), Mike Green9 (12-02-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 06:40 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,674 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Based on the numbers I read, roughly 80% of C6s sold were automatics. Obviously that means way more people prefer the automatic and that they were 4 times more desirable to the general Corvette buying public. I can easily see a manual commanding a premium, since there aren't nearly as many out there. As to why they might sell faster, I liken it to selling a yellow car. They aren't as popular so your target sales market is smaller. But when someone is looking for that rare yellow car and finds the one they want, they immediately buy it. Tomato/tomatoe - buy what you want at a price that is acceptable to you. They are all a Corvette in the end. And they accomplish the same task as a Prius.

Quick Reply: Considering Purchase - Need advise