C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 09:50 AM
Sdk8103
Pro

Received 539 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by NBVette_Canada
I think there may be one of those plastic guide pins at the back of the radio housing used to keep the old factory radios secure.

I think Crutchfield's fitment guide does not take into account the removal of this guide pin to allow some of the deeper units to fit which is why, for many units, they say it won't fit. Removal of this pin will typically gain you at least 1/2" to 3/4" more space. Like others have said, I have not heard of any double din head unit that would not fit. Some just require an extra bit of fiddling lol.
That pin was connected to my old radio, so when I took it out the pin came with it. I didn't even think to put it on the new one, but it is very secure without it.
Old 02-28-2022, 11:12 AM
Scott_Snohomish
Cruising
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fitment guid kinda sux; it says, for example, that the Kenwood DNX997XR, their top-of-the line capacitive screen with adjustable angle (perfect for glare control and better screen response) does not fit because it is .050" deeper than spec. Now, the space behind the unit has room for wire bends, so it is not a hard stop. Did they actually try one and fail, or just compare numbers? I bet the latter. I will be trying one in my new (to me) '09 C6 and will report back.
Old 02-28-2022, 11:21 AM
Scott_Snohomish
Cruising
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6.813-6.765 = .050 (well, 0.048" but lets round up). The reduction of the mating connector/wire routing gap behind the unit should not, IMHO, result in s "not fit"; this is not a hard stop installation control dimension, just a (probably conservative and based on factory head unit size) dimension to drive available cable and connector allowance. If the difference was over, say, 0.200" I would be concerned, but 0.050" is almost "down in the noise". Worth a try, I will be trying as as soon as my 997 (kenwood DNX997XR) shows up.

Quick Reply: New Radio