C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help 2006 STUCK in accessory mode

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 09:31 PM
jimhans03
7th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Please Help 2006 STUCK in accessory mode

Hi to everyone, I hope that one of you experts can help me with a very complex issue. I will spell out what happened.
I was detailing my Vette. It is a 2006 base model automatic with just over 22k miles. I have never had a problem with it except a random light for service traction system that has come up three different times and always goes off. The car does have the random stuck in park issue but always releases itself if I am patient and push on the shifter.
Here is what happened. I had the doors open, the hatch open, the hood open, the top off, and the windows down.
I Vacuumed the whole car, wiped the engine compartment, Wiped down the dash and controls including the switches, (using a barely damp with water cloth) cleaned the leather and the windows.
I removed the floor mats and reinstalled after vacuuming the whole car under and behind the seats.
When I was done I went to start the car. The starter engaged but did not spin or start. I pushed the button again and it clicked as if the battery was very low. I then tried three or four more times and only got a click. After the third or fourth time it stopped clicking and went into accessory mode.
The battery drained quickly and I ended up having to unlock the car manually and pop the door latch. At some point during this all the alarm went off and I silenced it with the FOB.
The car is still locked into accessory mode and wont time out, or stop draining the battery no matter what I do with disconnecting the battery or pushing the switch.
The Display says Accessory mode. I cannot access any other functions on the display. I tried to get the DTC's but none of the buttons ( reset, gas button work).
It's locked in accessory mode if the battery is connected.
The radio works, the windows work, the seats will move, the hatch pops, and doors lock and unlock with the FOB. The brake lights work, the horn, wipers, lights etc. all work. The panic button does not work nor does the HVAC system.
I have disconnected the battery and charged it over night. This had no effect when I hooked it back up still in accessory mode.
I had the battery tested it showed good at 12.6 volts.
I changed the batteries in both FOB's.
I went ahead and bought a new battery just in case there was a week cell in mine.
I have disconnected and reconnected the battery several times.
I checked every fuse in the car (both fuse boxes).
I unplugged both blue wire bundles under the passenger side kick panel and reinstalled.
I've put both FOBs in the glove box slot. I took out the console and checked both of the micro switches on the automatic shifter both make a connection and have continuity.
I've removed the ignition switch and reinstalled it.
I'm out of Ideas that iv'e gotten off of this forum and others.
Sorry to write such a book but I'm very frustrated and worried about getting this resolved. PLEASE HELP
Old 12-01-2020, 09:39 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

The only thing left is the ignition/acc button itself. You have tried every other conceivable troubleshooting stuff that should have solved the issue.

A new button may be in order IMO

Good Luck
Old 12-01-2020, 09:42 PM
jimhans03
7th Gear

I've got one coning hope it does it. Thanks for the reply
Old 12-01-2020, 09:48 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jimhans03
I've got one coning hope it does it. Thanks for the reply
Hopefully that is the issue.
I do know that a smart phone close to the FOB will cut off it's signal and will not recognize it.
I had my car in ACC mode, and couldn't turn it off, but once I moved my smart phone away from the FOB, I was able to shut if off. It's happened to many of us, but your issue is most likely not related to a missed signal from the FOB.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:18 AM
jimhans03
7th Gear

Well I somehow found a way out of this mess. I some how created the only big problem with a Corvette not resolved and documented on this site.
I finally got the car to come out of being locked in accessory mode. I still don't know what happened that caused this but here is what I did that got it going again.

I decided to start eliminating variables so I began pulling fuses and then disconnecting the battery one fuse at a time to try to eliminate whatever system was locking things up.
Previously I had disconnected and reconnected the battery probably 50 times with no result, it would still be locked in accessory mode when I hooked it back up.

Finally in my process of elimination I got to fuse #11 in the engine bay fuse block. It is "Engine Control Module/Transmission Control Module/Easy Key Module.
I pulled the fuse while the battery was hooked up and stuck in the accessory mode. I let it sit for about 1 hour and then hooked up the battery cable BEFORE reinstalling the fuse. Once the battery was reconnected and there was system power I reinstalled the fuse. The system was back to normal unlocked and magically all of my memory settings were still there.
This is one for the books. It has been a three day ordeal trying to get the car to come back to life.
I hope this helps someone else sometime.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:24 AM
ClothSeats
Drifting

Received 797 Likes on 515 Posts

Glad you got it fixed. Unfortunately, we don't seem to know what caused the problem in the first place.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:33 AM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by jimhans03
Well I somehow found a way out of this mess. I some how created the only big problem with a Corvette not resolved and documented on this site.
I finally got the car to come out of being locked in accessory mode. I still don't know what happened that caused this but here is what I did that got it going again.

I decided to start eliminating variables so I began pulling fuses and then disconnecting the battery one fuse at a time to try to eliminate whatever system was locking things up.
Previously I had disconnected and reconnected the battery probably 50 times with no result, it would still be locked in accessory mode when I hooked it back up.

Finally in my process of elimination I got to fuse #11 in the engine bay fuse block. It is "Engine Control Module/Transmission Control Module/Easy Key Module.
I pulled the fuse while the battery was hooked up and stuck in the accessory mode. I let it sit for about 1 hour and then hooked up the battery cable BEFORE reinstalling the fuse. Once the battery was reconnected and there was system power I reinstalled the fuse. The system was back to normal unlocked and magically all of my memory settings were still there.
This is one for the books. It has been a three day ordeal trying to get the car to come back to life.
I hope this helps someone else sometime.
Thank you for your solution. I know it will help me and other DIYers sometime in the future.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:43 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Great job, and kudos for never giving up.
Hopefully this will help someone else in the future.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:43 PM
Chatman
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 102 Posts

Congratulations. Just to clarify, you did try pulling that 11 fuse and reinserting it without disconnecting the battery and that did not fix the problem?
Old 12-02-2020, 10:33 PM
jimhans03
7th Gear

correct One of my first rounds was pulling and inspecting all the fuses. Nothing happened when I pulled and reinstalled the fuse while the battery was connected.

Get notified of new replies

To Please Help 2006 STUCK in accessory mode

Quick Reply: Please Help 2006 STUCK in accessory mode