C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Index and Freezing Temps

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 12:17 PM
s7n7a7k7e
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Window Index and Freezing Temps

I'm not sure if this has ever been asked before, but I couldn't find an answer when I searched for it. This is the first vehicle I have owned that has the window index thing where the window glass pops down automatically a little before you open the door. Every other vehicle had a frame that wraps the top of the window glass. Does this become an issue when opening the door in freezing temp weather?

The reason I am asking this is that in the past I have had to take my vehicles to the window repair shop several times because of the window glass separating from the regulator during cold temps. For example, let's say I pull into a drive-through in the morning on the way to work and the window hasn't completely thawed yet. When hitting the button for the window to go down, the glass might be frozen stuck to the frame, which causes it to pop off the regulator when it pulls down. Then the glass is stuck in an up position and if it slides down it won't go back up. I've had this happen in a Grand-Am, and a Durango R/T multiple times in the past to the point where I flat out refuse to open the window during the winter unless I absolutely have to, and only if the car has completely thawed out and warmed up. But yeah, if I want food in the morning, I just go in because I don't want to open the window at the drive through. Sometimes I think it could be shitty adhesive that the auto glass place might be using causing it to not hold in the cold.

But yeah, I plan on keeping my C6 on a battery tender just like I did with my GTO over winter, but I don't have a garage at my current house like I did at my old house. So it will be outside this winter. If I have to go into the C6 for any reason, whether to pop the hood to check on up on it ( like making sure squirrels don't make any nests under the hood etc) I was concerned that the automatic window index could pop the glass off the regulator when I touch the door handle. With my old GTO the frame went all around the glass, so the window didn't have to crack open before opening the door.

Is this something I should be concerned about, or should I not worry about it? lol
Old 12-02-2020, 12:37 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Never happened to my C6 vert with temps in the teens.

Last edited by Corvette_Ed; 12-02-2020 at 12:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Fast Dawg (12-03-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 04:44 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

My C6 widows constantly froze on freezing nights when parked outside. The actual problem was freezing between the window and the bottom of window rubber seal. I'd take a very thin metal cooking utensil and slip it between the window and seal to break the freeze.

s7n7a7k7e (12-10-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 04:47 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,148 Posts

You can derisk the possibility of the window sticking by applying some silicone weather strip lube. I've had windows stick before in my winter-beater cars but only after running them through the car wash. Usually happened the next morning if it was really cold. The silicone helped.
s7n7a7k7e (12-10-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 09:28 PM
Sdk8103
Pro

Received 539 Likes on 270 Posts

Old 12-02-2020, 10:41 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

I had 5 different C6s that all stayed outside in the open-air carport for 13 years. Averaged driving each of them about 3 or 4 times a week. Put a credit card between the window and the bottom of window rubber seal before opening the car door during freezing temps in the winter. Never had a problem.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:16 PM
KevDude
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 66 Posts

I drive mine year round in CO and have never had any issues.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:50 AM
Rusler John
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

My Vette stayed outside for 4 years in the cold, rain and snow. I had the problem of a sticking window the first time the rain froze, so, I used a credit card to to separate the window from the lower weatherstripping and it worked like a charm. Once the car got heated up, there was no problem. I made it a point to do this every cold, rainy morning.
s7n7a7k7e (12-10-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To Window Index and Freezing Temps

Quick Reply: Window Index and Freezing Temps