C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cig Lighter to USB charging Port Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 11:09 AM
Checkered Past
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Cig Lighter to USB charging Port Question

Hey Guys. I have my center console out and now am thinking on replacing the cig lighter with a USB charging port for my I phone. Do you guys have any certain ones you would recommend? I see some with one slot and some with two slots. I mainly want to make sure I am getting a good one and not a crappy one with will not work a year from now. Also i assume you are using the cig light power source and just clipping off the plug end to power the new USB? If so, that would make the USB powered all the time correct? Any issues with this? I appreciate any and all feedback guys. I have looked over a bunch of the threads this morning and see different options but wanted an update on what has really worked well.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:18 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,771 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Just this comment. There will be some parasitic drain regardless if anything is plugged into the USB port. The last thing these cars need is more parasitic drain, so check what the no-load draw is when you are researching product. No biggie if you are hooked up to a battery tender when parked at home.
The following 2 users liked this post by FatsWaller:
C6Whatever (01-17-2021), Fast Dawg (01-18-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 12:12 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,789 Likes on 4,228 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

FWIW I just use one of these in the center console because I also use that outlet for things such as a tire inflator. I’d hate to be stuck somewhere with a low tire or flat & not be able to inflate it.

I did replace the lighter outlet in the ashtray compartment with a USB port that goes right to the back of my head unit.

Old 01-17-2021, 04:23 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,012 Likes on 2,171 Posts

Back it up, and what phone. Hence does the phone have fast charging to start with?
The lighter outlets is 12V, 10 amp fused, so if your phone does have fast charging, then you want USB adapter that does have fast charging as well (5 volt- 3+ amps output).

Amazon Amazon

Next, keep in mind that both center console and the front ashtray outlet are live even with the car shut off, so when you are not using the USB adapter, then unplug it so your not draining the battery. Hence although the USB adapter is not drawing a lot of power by it self when the car is off, it is still pulling power from its 12 to 5V drop down circuitry.

Or,

You can remove the OEM lighter plug outlet that stays constant Hot, and replace it with a USB 5v-3 amp outlet that you can wire to a power source that does shut off with the car so it not draining the battery when the car is off instead.
Amazon Amazon
Old 01-17-2021, 08:53 PM
GS-2013
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 121 Posts

Talking about parasitic drain...2013 C6, are the USB and 3.5MM aux live when the engine is off? I'd like to leave the cables plugged in with the ignition off. I'm pretty sure I can but want to be certain.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:18 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,012 Likes on 2,171 Posts

Originally Posted by GS-2013
Talking about parasitic drain...2013 C6, are the USB and 3.5MM aux live when the engine is off? I'd like to leave the cables plugged in with the ignition off. I'm pretty sure I can but want to be certain.
Both tie into the radio as inputs, which the radio is put into sleep mode by the BCM when the car is shut off. So no, will not draw power when the car is shut off.
The following users liked this post:
GS-2013 (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 11:26 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,083 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Maybe it varies with different year C6s, but with my 2011 GS, the cigarette lighter plug below the AC panel is dead when the car is shut down.

I use that cigarette plug to power my small tire inflator when I need it ... and I get no power out of the plug unless I put the start button into accessory mode.

EDIT: . . I just remembered. With just being in accessory mode, there is a built-in timer and after about 25 minutes, it will turn off accessory mode and you will loose power to that cigarette lighter plug.

I know this because if you turn on accessory mode (engine not running) and listen to the radio, after about 25 minutes the radio will shut down when it goes out of accessory mode ... And it does this with the OEM radio head unit or an aftermarket head unit such as the Kenwood I now have.

I have never found a way to defeat that 25 minute timer. Just have to go back in the car every 25 minutes and put it back into accessory more ... pain in the ****

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 01-17-2021 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:36 PM
GS-2013
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Both tie into the radio as inputs, which the radio is put into sleep mode by the BCM when the car is shut off. So no, will not draw power when the car is shut off.
Thanks!
Old 01-18-2021, 09:02 AM
mickeykelley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one of the double USB port adapters that plug into the slot in the console. It has a small red led light that stays on when car is turned off. The vette (and my other vehicles) has had that for multiple years now and has sat for 2-4 weeks before without being driven with no dead batteries yet.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:21 AM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,600 Posts

One thing I don’t see mentioned here is how hot the inside of the console gets on these cars. I have a USB port in the spot you are considering, plugged my iPhone into it, shut the console cover, and my iPhone was super heated when I pulled it out to use it. I had to let it cool down before it would let me do anything. I no longer use that USB port.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:22 PM
Checkered Past
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks fellas for all the input. I think I will just look for a good fast charging plug and keep the cig lighter as is. I did put dyno mat extreme under my console to help with the heat while the console it out. I was just thinking maybe this would be an easy upgrade but you guys have kinda talked me out of it lol... This forum is fun and I appreciate all who offer good ideas/advise. Have a good week!

Get notified of new replies

To Cig Lighter to USB charging Port Question

Quick Reply: Cig Lighter to USB charging Port Question