C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vert owners, how I did something to cause my latch motor to break

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 06:44 PM
DaveJB
Heel & Toe

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Vert owners, how I did something to cause my latch motor to break

Just going to mostly paste this to save time. Today I broke the motor (mostly it's plastic mount), I mean the one that pulls the tonneau cover down.

Lately it had troubles closing and it would make a ratcheting sound. I'd slap it with my hand to close. Today, it seemed to really struggle, the hand slap didn't work so I jammed it with my elbow. This sort of broke the whole mechanism. The clear plastic just snapped. The replacement part isn't that bad at $255 so not worried about that. But I wanted to help others. I realize now that I think I caused it all. In the trunk, there's a small area under the storage area for the top. I had been storing a blanket and other cloth things under there. I now realize it had been pushing the ... bottom panel upward. I don't know how to describe it better but basically I was causing there to be less room for the top to store so it was sitting up higher and therefore causing the latch to struggle to close it. Lesson learned, don't put anything much taller than an inch or two in that space. I hope I help people going forward.

The following users liked this post:
jeffs64 (04-16-2021)
Old 04-17-2021, 07:14 AM
cdm747
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 236 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

That's the whole reason the divider is there. Nothing should be stored under it.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:03 AM
DaveJB
Heel & Toe

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cdm747
That's the whole reason the divider is there. Nothing should be stored under it.
All due respect, that makes no sense. Just because there's something that separates a compartment into two spaces doesn't mean you can't use the area near the thing that divides the spaces. If you'd said, "That's the whole reason the warning label is there, nothing should be stored under there", I'd agree.

It's not black and white, you can put thin things under there and that's the problem. Just be careful or better yet don't. Hence, my post to warn people.

Last edited by DaveJB; 04-17-2021 at 11:32 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Vert owners, how I did something to cause my latch motor to break

Quick Reply: Vert owners, how I did something to cause my latch motor to break