C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 02:39 PM
Brianr6199
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous help!

Putting together the nitrous outlet kit for my gs. When I open the bottle the nitrous just shoots straight out of the purge solenoid. With the battery connected or disconnected. So I know it’s not wiring. Possible the purge solenoid is stuck open? I can blow through it and can feel the air on the other side normal? Or am I missing something? Bottle pressure not high enough? Thanks
Old 04-17-2021, 02:45 PM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 161 Posts

solenoid is stuck open. either rebuild or replace
Old 04-18-2021, 03:48 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,013 Likes on 2,171 Posts

Before you start to spray, pull pistons and increase the ring gaps to .028" or larger (depending on how much you are going to spray/add HP with NOS).

Stock N/A, the piston rings are gapped at .006", and with the increase heat from the Nos HP, the rings are going to heat stretch to become zero gap, bind to the cylinder walls, and crack the top of the pistons off on the down stroke.

Note, on after market LS forged NOS pistons, top ring channel is lowered as well, to give more meat at the top of the piston channel to strengthen the the ring top channel with the increased ring gap as well. Also, due to the increase stroke pressure on the down stroke from the more oxygen in the mix, really want stronger piston connecting rods too. As for crank can throw 1K hp at it, and it will be fine.

Hence with NOS and the motor not built correctly for the increase heat/pressure of down stroke during ignition that NOS creates from increased Oxygen in the burn ratio, it's a mater of when, not if, the motor is going to go south.
With boost, your increasing cylinder working pressure, but the ratio of nitrogen/oxygen/ fuel stay at a consent, so burn is not as hot to cause as much piston ring heat expansion, as when your adding more Oxygen to the burn ratio with NOS isntead (but still don't want to leave the ring gap at .006" with boost as well).

Last edited by Dano523; 04-18-2021 at 04:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Nitrous help!

Quick Reply: Nitrous help!