C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator not charging battery?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 08:57 PM
icecrxm
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Alternator not charging battery?

My car wouldn’t come on , would click once but all systems ran fine , pointing me to the starter. I had a mobile mechanic come out and replace the starter , with an advanced auto parts starter. The car turned right on after the install, but now I’m getting a Service Charging System message and the alternator is not charging the battery? Tried two new alternators (he said the first new one tested bad) , and still no luck. Any idea what the problem could be?
Old 04-17-2021, 09:21 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Have you checked the wiring at the starter and alternstor? Did you check the fuse HORN/ ALT/ SENS one member found it blown after his alternator failed.
Hopefully the new alternator is not a Durolast.see attached thread link.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ease-help.html

Good Luck
The following users liked this post:
icecrxm (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 10:43 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I take all of my OEM starters and alternators to a local re builder and have them rebuilt. even an 2007 OEM is better grade that the crap that is being produced now. You live in NJ you should have no trouble finding someone to rebuild your original alternator. Either that or purchase a Good aftermarket alternator.
icecrxm (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 01:32 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 776 Likes on 505 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by icecrxm
My car wouldn’t come on , would click once but all systems ran fine , pointing me to the starter. I had a mobile mechanic come out and replace the starter , with an advanced auto parts starter. The car turned right on after the install, but now I’m getting a Service Charging System message and the alternator is not charging the battery? Tried two new alternators (he said the first new one tested bad) , and still no luck. Any idea what the problem could be?
I just went thru this with my friend. Turns out he connected one wire to each solenoid post instead of both on the top one. Car started fine that way but the alternator wouldn't charge the battery. Once he fixed the wiring it started working properly again.
The following 2 users liked this post by subfloor@centurytrans:
2008 Corvette (04-19-2021), icecrxm (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 01:47 PM
icecrxm
Advanced

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
I just went thru this with my friend. Turns out he connected one wire to each solenoid post instead of both on the top one. Car started fine that way but the alternator wouldn't charge the battery. Once he fixed the wiring it started working properly again.

sheesh that might be it , the mechanic is coming back to check it out 😂 let’s see ill let you know. He keeps saying a fuseable link may have burned up but I think this might be it
Old 04-18-2021, 01:49 PM
icecrxm
Advanced

Originally Posted by 4SUMERZ
Have you checked the wiring at the starter and alternstor? Did you check the fuse HORN/ ALT/ SENS one member found it blown after his alternator failed.
Hopefully the new alternator is not a Durolast.see attached thread link.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ease-help.html

Good Luck

that was actually the first thing I checked saw a video on YT about that , seems to be fine though
Old 04-18-2021, 02:10 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

sheesh that might be it , the mechanic is coming back to check it out 😂 let’s see ill let you know. He keeps saying a fuseable link may have burned up but I think this might be it
Although it's a very tight fit, with a flashlight you should be able to see and/or feel around with your hand to confirm the issue before pulling everything off. This is what I ended up doing and I could definitely feel the second thin wire coming off the bottom post.

Please update the thread once you get it figured out.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:28 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

The fuseable link is on the main charging cable off the alternator, on just before the other end of the cable that connects to the starter solenoid terminal.

So low down, alternator cable connects to the starter solenoid, as well as the end of battery positive cable to the same terminal on the solenoid. So could be blown fuse link, or could be that the starter solenoid terminal nut is loose that joins the two cables together instead.

As for the negative battery cable, it bolts to the side of the engine block.

So in this photo, you can see the terminal that the alternator and battery positive cables bolt to to make the connection at the solenoid terminal, as well as the ground bolt on the engine block, and better yet, how the positive terminal on the solenoid has cracked off it, from the heater heat damage to the Bakelite cap on the solenoid.

Note, on the bottom cable of the broken terminal, notice how the heat shrink tubing is longer on that cable. Its due to the fuse link under it just off the terminal connector.
As for the slow blow link, it really use a short section of wire that is 2 gauges smaller than the main cable gauge, so if there is charging problems, it will be the section of cable that melts. So 2 gauge smaller wire for about a inch, fire retard paste on the outside of it so if it melts, will not melt the heat shrink tubing, and then the heat shrink tubing over it and the section of wire/connector that is connected to.

Old 04-18-2021, 09:56 PM
icecrxm
Advanced

The toolbag didn’t come to fix his work today, and I found this? This is probably the culprit.. isn’t it..
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_2130.MOV (6.02 MB, 376 views)
Old 04-18-2021, 10:12 PM
Dano523
Race Director

The toolbag didn’t come to fix his work today, and I found this? This is probably the culprit.. isn’t it..

Think that you have found the problem.
icecrxm (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 10:15 PM
icecrxm
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dano523
Think that you have found the problem.
People don’t take pride in their work nowadays!!
Old 04-18-2021, 10:19 PM
Dano523
Race Director

People don’t take pride in their work nowadays!!

Hey, he at least remembered to install the battery terminal wire on the solenoid terminal, or the battery would not turned the starter.

As for alternator wire dangling, if the fuse link was not blow before, will bank it melted now the first time the end of that cable danced off anything ground to really ground it out. Hell, could have taken out the voltage regulator on the new/rebuilt alternator as well.

But at least you know why most of use wrench on our own cars, instead of farming it out to the incompetent.

Last edited by Dano523; 04-18-2021 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:25 PM
icecrxm
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dano523
Hey, he at least remembered to install the battery terminal wire on the solenoid terminal, or the battery would not turned the starter.

As for alternator wire dangling, if the fuse link was not blow before, will bank it melted now the first time the end of that cable danced off anything ground to really ground it out. Hell, could have taken out the voltage regulator on the new/rebuilt alternator as well.

But at least you know why most of use wrench on our own cars, instead of farming it out to the incompetent.

I know you’re being helpful but man now I’m scared my car is all f**** up 😭😭😭 and spending more money 💰 😱 you could have held back a little🥲
Old 04-18-2021, 10:58 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Not connected, connected to the wrong post - same difference, that'll fix it.

Despite how tight it is in there, it is still very possible to get that connector attached to the solenoid post.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:00 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

I know you’re being helpful but man now I’m scared my car is all f**** up 😭😭😭 and spending more money 💰 😱 you could have held back a little🥲
You're likely fine, get it connected and I'm sure you'll be reporting back soon that all is well.
Old 10-20-2023, 03:41 AM
TZNBrayden
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, I’m having similar problems. My car used to run just fine, then I got a charge system error. I have pictures of my starter wiring, can you tell me if it’s right? I’ve also heard of people saying an ignition switch. Does a faulty ignition switch make a car not charge?
Old 10-20-2023, 03:42 AM
TZNBrayden
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
Not connected, connected to the wrong post - same difference, that'll fix it.

Despite how tight it is in there, it is still very possible to get that connector attached to the solenoid post.
Hey! Can you help me figure out if my wiring is right? I have a bunch of posts on my account to explain the problem I was having but Now i think it might be this.
Old 10-20-2023, 09:41 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by TZNBrayden
Hey! Can you help me figure out if my wiring is right? I have a bunch of posts on my account to explain the problem I was having but Now i think it might be this.
Post photo.
cthusker (10-20-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Alternator not charging battery?

Quick Reply: Alternator not charging battery?