C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

would the dealer install a BCM from rockauto?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 11:28 AM
vetza12
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default would the dealer install a BCM from rockauto?

was checking rock auto and they have brand new genuine BCMs in stock. was wondering if the GM dealer would install that if i bring them the package or it has to be from their own parts department? trying to save costs from rockauto if possible. i know installing bcm needs tech 2 to program so i am willing to pay labour charges if anyone can install it. the dealer over prices the parts like crazy so id rather go with rockauto if possible

Last edited by vetza12; 06-21-2021 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-21-2021, 11:35 AM
81VETTOM
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

I got a new RCDLR ordered directly from GM and took it to a local dealer to install and reprogram my 2005. No issues with my GM part or install. They only got one FOB working said other 2 would not program. OK, I got the other one programmed just like normal. I guess as long as it is a new GM part should not be an issue regardless of where you got it. .
The following users liked this post:
vetza12 (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 11:40 AM
vetza12
Advanced

Originally Posted by 81VETTOM
I got a new RCDLR ordered directly from GM and took it to a local dealer to install and reprogram my 2005. No issues with my GM part or install. They only got one FOB working said other 2 would not program. OK, I got the other one programmed just like normal. I guess as long as it is a new GM part should not be an issue regardless of where you got it. .

thanks like you mentioned they shouldn't care since rockauto says gm genuine
Old 06-21-2021, 11:55 AM
gdmoore01
Burning Brakes

Received 548 Likes on 380 Posts

Depends on the dealer, so you would have to call & speak to the service manager. MOST dealers or independents will not touch consumer supplied parts. They make money off of markups for parts, but will tell you they cannot use your part as they cannot guarantee the install. It is a total crap shoot with the consumer losing most of the time. So they can only tell you no. I would try, but be prepared.

GD
Old 06-21-2021, 01:11 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,148 Posts

As said it depends on the dealer. Here, they're more than happy to install customer supplied OEM or aftermarket parts because then they're off the hook for any warranty on the part. If they install it and it doesn't fit or immediately fails or fails at any time then they won't cover the labor to fix it. It's all on you. If they supply the part it's all on them usually for at least 30 days or more. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:43 PM
vetza12
Advanced

thnx everyone. can any other shop program and install the bcm besides gm?
Old 06-21-2021, 07:33 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Why not find a reputable shop and let them source the BCM? Many will even source the part through a company you request. You might regret trying to pinch pennies in a case like this.

One major issue I have with supplying my own parts to a mechanic is that if anything goes wrong it's going to be on your dime.

For example... A friend recently supplied a water pump to a local mechanic to have installed on his 69 Corvette. The new water pump failed about a week later... the result was too damn bad, it was your supplied part that failed. If the shop had of supplied the part it would have been covered under the shop warranty. This is a very good and reputable shop, and I don't fault them for their stance on the item. They did give the guy a discount on the second replacement water pump that the shop sourced and installed.

Your mileage may very.

Last edited by Iceaxe; 06-21-2021 at 07:35 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To would the dealer install a BCM from rockauto?

Quick Reply: would the dealer install a BCM from rockauto?