C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanting advice on a 2010 GS

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2021, 07:11 AM
Tom Meere
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ptroxx

don’t forget the old. “ never been driven in the rain “. lololol.

impossible in Florida. Lol.
Old 06-26-2021, 07:20 AM
Tom Meere
Advanced

Originally Posted by sadiesvette
I would love a manual & plan on using one before I buy. The reason I'm thinking automatic, I have a double knee & hip replacement they don't bother me at all ( guess I'm one of the lucky ones) really better then new but just a little concerned over the long run.
As far as the z16 & the GS go I guess that's why I couldn't find the difference between them they are the same animal.
I've been searching the internet for cars but I am really a little to early but I feel it is a good experience. There is some nice stuff out there I feel it's a little high priced but still have 2 months before buying.
I live in Fl but have a house in the Catskills up state NY.
I want to buy in Fl. because I know a few guys in the Vette clubs down there who in turn know the right mechanics plus I don't want to drive or ship in from here to there. Does that make sense?
Plus I think they will come down in price when the new ones finally get to the dealers and it looks like the chip shortage is coming to an end. It's not easy once you make your mind up especially when you've been waiting so long to buy one and the funds are in place but I think it's the way to go. And I still have some homework to do.
Thanks
I wanted the manual GS with the dry sump and hand built engine, settled for a auto. Had a deal I could not pass up...
Anyway, I could not be happier with my choice. Don't really need the dry sump since I have no plans on hard track driving. Paddle shifting is fun when you want to play.
Good luck in the hunt...
Old 06-26-2021, 10:17 AM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 896 Likes on 583 Posts

Mr JABCAT; You mentioned eariler the difference between the C6 Manual and the Auto Trans. would you lean more toward the Manual to get the hand built engine W/the wet sump over the Auto Trans. Also I am trying to find the difference between to Z06 & the Z16. Need help there.
Jerry
Semper Fi
Era Of The M1 Garrand
Get the transmission you want to drive, don't worry about the (minor) difference in the LS3 engines. The manual is a better track car due to the dry sump and better cooling but those differences actually make it a worse daily driver because it takes forever to get the oil warmed up. I bought a manual because I've had nothing but manuals in my cars my entire life and I like shifting gears. The auto is a decent auto but it's no DCT.
Old 06-26-2021, 01:11 PM
Bronk
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 140 Posts

I would love a manual & plan on using one before I buy. The reason I'm thinking automatic, I have a double knee & hip replacement they don't bother me at all ( guess I'm one of the lucky ones) really better then new but just a little concerned over the long run.
As far as the z16 & the GS go I guess that's why I couldn't find the difference between them they are the same animal.
I've been searching the internet for cars but I am really a little to early but I feel it is a good experience. There is some nice stuff out there I feel it's a little high priced but still have 2 months before buying.
I live in Fl but have a house in the Catskills up state NY.
I want to buy in Fl. because I know a few guys in the Vette clubs down there who in turn know the right mechanics plus I don't want to drive or ship in from here to there. Does that make sense?
Plus I think they will come down in price when the new ones finally get to the dealers and it looks like the chip shortage is coming to an end. It's not easy once you make your mind up especially when you've been waiting so long to buy one and the funds are in place but I think it's the way to go. And I still have some homework to do.
Thanks
Also, don't overlook Roger's Corvettes in Maitland ,just a hop, skip and a jump from The Villages. Numerous Forum members over the years have purchased Corvettes from Roger's. He is extremely proud of his business and sells only low mileage, pristine Corvettes.
Old 06-27-2021, 01:33 PM
sadiesvette
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lets talk Harmonics Balancer

Last night I went on to youtube and watched the full vid of the Harmonic Balancer replacement. All I can say is WHAT A FREEKIN JOB. I got to say it's discouraging. I need some help wrapping my head around it. Maybe I should go to the Tech section with this but I'll leave that up to the Moderators. Maybe there is already a thread started on this but hear goes.
If you buy any mileage C6 are you almost assured your going to have a Harmonics problem if it wasn't already replaced?
Is there a mileage that they seem to go at? Or could it happen at any mileage?
I am looking at buying a low mileage 15,000 or less 2012/ 2013, at some point can I expect to have to replace it?
I'm sure prices are all over the map but about how much have guys paid for this job? Plus I'm sure there are some horror stories. Looking for input.
Thanks
Jerry
Semper Fi
Era Of The M1 Garrand

Old 06-27-2021, 03:45 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 896 Likes on 583 Posts

Last night I went on to youtube and watched the full vid of the Harmonic Balancer replacement. All I can say is WHAT A FREEKIN JOB. I got to say it's discouraging. I need some help wrapping my head around it. Maybe I should go to the Tech section with this but I'll leave that up to the Moderators. Maybe there is already a thread started on this but hear goes.
If you buy any mileage C6 are you almost assured your going to have a Harmonics problem if it wasn't already replaced?
Is there a mileage that they seem to go at? Or could it happen at any mileage?
I am looking at buying a low mileage 15,000 or less 2012/ 2013, at some point can I expect to have to replace it?
I'm sure prices are all over the map but about how much have guys paid for this job? Plus I'm sure there are some horror stories. Looking for input.
Thanks
Jerry
Semper Fi
Era Of The M1 Garrand
People with the problem do all the posting. You don't see posts from the 99% who don't have the problem. It's more common that it should be but it's still a small percentage that fail. Just be sure it's not already bad when you buy. Seems like tit can happen at almost any mileage. Their are superior aftermarket replacements.
The following users liked this post:
Geoff13IOM6GS (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 01:33 PM
Bronk
Pro

My advice when contemplating purchase of a Corvette (any car) which may have a history of issues that are prevalent in some model years, is to NOT overthink the perceived problems that may lead to not purchasing the Vette you want. It seems that GM had a poorly designed harmonic balancer which was installed in LS engines. The design lead to failure for some installations, thus the proliferation of postings on social media. The replacement, although challenging for the average DIYer, is not that difficult for someone with good mechanical skills and preferably a lift. If you interpret the replacement job as discouraging, there will be other challenges with ownership that can, be at times, challenging as well. Overall, Corvettes, generally, and the C6, specifically, are robust and mechanically sound examples with an enviable record of durability and longevity. Don't focus on specific issues, rather, be knowledgeable and aware of potential problems which may or may not be present for your purchase of interest. Good luck with your quest ! Semper-Fi.

Last edited by Bronk; 06-28-2021 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-29-2021, 05:31 PM
sadiesvette
Intermediate

Your right Bronk; I was making myself paranoid between the forum and youtube. What I did over the weekend was Get in touch with Lyle from C&S Vettes. Below is my question & His Reply.

Hea Lyle; My name is Jerry Del & I have been watching your very informative youtube broadcasts. I am in the market for a Low milage C6 GS Vette, Auto 2012 or 13. I live in The Villages not far from your shop & have become paranoid about this whole Harmonic Balancer
thing. The C6 I buy is prolly going to be a Florida car going to a Vette shop for a close inspection before I close the deal but I would like to know how common is this balancer problem & is it more prevalent in earlier C6's?
I am willing to pay a premium for a low mileage later model. The thought process being low mileage, later model less problems. Or should I save 10K, buy a higher mileage say 50,000 mile car have it inspected 4 ways from sideways do the recommended repairs and hope for the best?

Thanks for Your Time & advice. You may be seeing me soon.
Jerry D

Hi Jerry! I would take a 50K car that has been well-maintained over a 10K cream puff--things that fail with age would have been addressed on the car that was driven more frequently if the car was owned by someone who loved it. The balancer issue is found across the C5/C6 production, and is not terribly difficult to remedy. If the car you find has the issue, simply factor in the price of repair to your offer. Lyle
Old 06-29-2021, 05:50 PM
sadiesvette
Intermediate

At this point I am going to continue to search the Corvette sights just to keep my blood flowing but I am not going to buy for couple of months as hard as that is going to be. (ie I want it now). Right now I am out of Fla. and will not buy a car sight unseen and will not ship it 1000 or more miles. I am going to buy a Fla. car so I can check it out myself. If I am satisfied with it then bring it to a highly recommended Vette mechanic and have him go over it top to bottom. At that point if it's the right car for me then I will determine what I will pay for it and start the negotiation's. Plus according to all the experts used cars are overpriced right now and they are expected to come down in a couple of months.
I also think Lyle From C&S Corvettes advice is spot on and I intend to heed it.
Jerry
Semper Fi
Era Of the M1 Garrand
Old 07-10-2021, 11:02 AM
VETTBABY
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bummed out week

It hasn’t been a good week for me?
MY SAGA
last week a forum member reached out to me.
He was following this thread and saw I was up in the Catskills MTS & looking for a late model C6. He lives about an hour from where I am staying and sent me a PM saying he had a 2011 C6 that he wanted to sell. We made arraignments & I went to see it along with my wife. You know. “happy wife happy life”
He is the original owner with all the paper work from the day he bought it, up to and including the oil & filter change last week at the dealership.
2011 Torch Red, 6,800 miles & this C6 looks like it just came off the showroom floor. 6 speed manual convertible W/ cashmere top & interior without a doubt the most beautiful
C6 I have seen. I was on this like white on rice. We came to a price shook hands took the paperwork I needed to register it & told him I would be back this week to pick it up.
My wife loved it also, except for one small thing. She is a driver & at 5 ft.2in she couldn’t reach the pedals & didn’t want a manual anyway. Needless to say we are still not talking but I had to inform the seller I couldn’t buy this beautiful Vette. I’m still sick.

Last edited by VETTBABY; 07-10-2021 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-10-2021, 11:27 AM
Jason71
Burning Brakes

Received 802 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTBABY
It hasn’t been a good week for me?
MY SAGA
last week a forum member reached out to me.
He was following this thread and saw I was up in the Catskills MTS & looking for a late model C6. He lives about an hour from where I am staying and sent me a PM saying he had a 2011 C6 that he wanted to sell. We made arraignments & I went to see it along with my wife. You know. “happy wife happy life”
He is the original owner with all the paper work from the day he bought it, up to and including the oil & filter change last week at the dealership.
2011 Torch Red, 6,800 miles & this C6 looks like it just came off the showroom floor. 6 speed manual convertible W/ cashmere top & interior without a doubt the most beautiful
C6 I have seen. I was on this like white on rice. We came to a price shook hands took the paperwork I needed to register it & told him I would be back this week to pick it up.
My wife loved it also, except for one small thing. She is a driver & at 5’2” she couldn’t reach the pedals & didn’t want a manual anyway. Needless to say we are still not talking but I had to inform the seller I couldn’t buy this beautiful Vette. I’m still sick.
Man......that sucks. I think I would have bought it anyways and then traded her vehicle on anything she wanted. That’s one of the elements that has allowed me to have 3 corvettes.
Old 07-11-2021, 02:20 PM
74plb
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Sadiesvette, I found a 2007 base 3lt car in Ca in 2017 with 10500 miles on it. I had been searching for quite sometime too. I was aware of the harmonic balancer issue and the fuel tank flange issue as well. I bought an extended warranty to cover these repairs if they cropped up.
By the time I got the car home to Washington state I came to my senses and cancelled the warranty. 3 and a half years later my car has had zero issues.
if there is an issue to deal with at some point I wii just bite the bullet and get it done.
The car you looked at recently sounds like a great car! Too bad your wife can't reach the pedals
On a positive note, now you know you will need to find a car equipped with a A6.
74Plb

Last edited by 74plb; 07-11-2021 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-12-2021, 03:55 PM
Bronk
Pro

Sorry to hear about your less than positive buying experience, but with a little patience and research, you will find another Corvette that will "check all the boxes" for you and your wife. One of the joys of owning a Corvette is being able to share the experience with the wife and/or family. Having your wife involved in the purchasing will place you in her good graces which can open a multitude of doors from performance to appearance modifications. Getting involved in an active Corvette club is another way to enjoy ownership through sharing good times with shows, cruises and other activities. Keep us informed on your quest. Forum members are always willing to answer questions and offer advice, as you have no doubt experienced. Good hunting !

Semper-Fi
Old 07-13-2021, 08:52 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,792 Likes on 4,231 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

My wife loved it also, except for one small thing. She is a driver & at 5 ft.2in she couldn’t reach the pedals.
My wife is only 5’1” and can reach the pedals just fine & adjust the seat to the proper driving position. She gets mad at me for not letting her drive it (she has 2 lead feet ).
The following 2 users liked this post by JABCAT:
67miata (07-13-2021), LS1AB (07-13-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 08:25 PM
sadiesvette
Intermediate

Default I Got it

Hello Boys " I'm Back" Haven't been on for a while, I didn't want to jinx myself but the deal is done. I bought that 2011 GS Convertable ,6 manual. What a beauty. 6850 miles, original owner & all records back to the day the seller signed on the dotted line. Literally show room condition. It had the original tires W/ plenty of rubber but I put new Continentals on it, didn't want to take a chance they were dried out. I am sooo happy that I got it and my wife after all the fuss really likes it too. 2 LT pkg & only mod is the mild to wild W/remote switch. No HUD which I would have liked but I can live without it. This is how it played out.
I waited a few days after she said "absolutely not I don't want a 6 speed Manual". and asked one last time. I think she realized what a great car it was and she said "YES ". It was late at night about 11 so I waited until the next morning. I was on the phone to the seller at 8:05 got him out of bed & luckily he didn't sell it. I went to his house that afternoon and after what had previously happened gave him a deposit to show good faith The rest is history. Brought it home Friday. Funny how after looking for 6 months all over the place for what I wanted even though I was looking Auto Transmission I get a call from a really stand up guy who is a forum member who saw my original post and reaches out to me. And to top it off he is only 80 miles from where I am in NY. and honors the previously agreed on price. The Corvette Gods were looking out for me that day.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:24 PM
Tom Meere
Advanced

Congrats. Pics?
Old 07-26-2021, 06:54 PM
VETTBABY
Heel & Toe

Default You want pictures. I got pictures

Get notified of new replies

To Wanting advice on a 2010 GS

Old 07-26-2021, 06:57 PM
VETTBABY
Heel & Toe

Default More pix

Old 07-26-2021, 07:32 PM
Tom Meere
Advanced

Very nice. Love it! Congrats.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:28 PM
Bronk
Pro

Congratulations on your new ride ! Enjoy ! Semper-Fi !

Quick Reply: Wanting advice on a 2010 GS