C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 starting problem - LS 2 --- 3LT

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 07:13 AM
Mike Green9
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 110 Posts

Car needs to be flatbedded only, by a pro who has the right truck and knows how to transport a LOW riding sports car.

M...
Old 10-08-2021, 11:14 AM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 334 Posts

Thanks Mike.

Jay
Old 10-08-2021, 03:41 PM
nplenzick
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Sure does sound like a battery to me that has a bad cell. Have you tried jumping it with another car or using a a jump box?
Old 10-09-2021, 06:47 AM
dlcain
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Let us know how it works out Jay. Like I mentioned before I have the exact same problem. Even though the symptoms point to the battery, I know it has to be something else. I've installed many new batteries and still barely have enough juice to start the car. Thanks!
Old 10-09-2021, 08:17 AM
Mike Green9
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 110 Posts

Yes please let us know how it works out.

By the way, I have my '08 base coupe with A6 on my lift.

It would be very tight, but there is a chance that the starter could be removed without removing the exhaust. No guarantee. Others could pipe in.

M....
Old 10-09-2021, 08:10 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 117 Posts

If the battery is four years old it's due for replacement. I'm thinking this is your problem.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:13 AM
deejaydu
Safety Car

I have tried everything mentioned with no luck. Jumper box, new battery. removed ground from starter and cleaned ( even though it was very clean ) and nothing has worked. Same dead symptoms as before. I think I mentioned before that the last time it even attempted to start very slowly I did smell something electrical like it was hot but the car did not start. Remember this car only has 3,800 miles on it. I ordered it new and it has never been worked on for anything up to this point. I guess that it is possible I just have a defective starter from new that has just gotten worse over the years. I cannot remember the last time that I thought this car started normally. I do not know what I am going to do next. I am very frustrated for sure.

Jay
Old 10-12-2021, 12:32 AM
nplenzick
Pro

Originally Posted by deejaydu
I have tried everything mentioned with no luck. Jumper box, new battery. removed ground from starter and cleaned ( even though it was very clean ) and nothing has worked. Same dead symptoms as before. I think I mentioned before that the last time it even attempted to start very slowly I did smell something electrical like it was hot but the car did not start. Remember this car only has 3,800 miles on it. I ordered it new and it has never been worked on for anything up to this point. I guess that it is possible I just have a defective starter from new that has just gotten worse over the years. I cannot remember the last time that I thought this car started normally. I do not know what I am going to do next. I am very frustrated for sure.

Jay
well one last thing to try which worked on some of the cars I had when the starters were going out was to tap the starter housing with a hammer while someone trys to start it. Doing this rotates the armature past a dead spot.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:42 AM
nplenzick
Pro

Jay
well one last thing to try which worked on some of the cars I had when the starters were going out was to tap the starter housing with a hammer while someone trys to start it. Doing this rotates the armature past a dead spot.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:51 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Yes I also tried the tapping on the starter technique but still no luck. This is so frustrating.

Jay
Old 10-14-2021, 08:49 AM
pbergmann
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 60 Posts

When you try to start it, do either of the battery terminals get hot or even warm?
There's got to be resistance somewhere.
If you smell burning, that's your telling sign.
Old 10-14-2021, 12:12 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pbergmann
When you try to start it, do either of the battery terminals get hot or even warm?
There's got to be resistance somewhere.
If you smell burning, that's your telling sign.
I will have to check the cables. I did not know to do that. yes I did smell something the last time that it was trying to start. It has never done anything since.

Jay

Last edited by deejaydu; 10-14-2021 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-14-2021, 03:42 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Battery cables are not getting hot or warm but the car is also not trying to start. When I push the green start button everything just shuts down. I have no idea what is going on here. I am trying to find someone that can come to my home and work on it.

Jay
Old 10-14-2021, 04:05 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 897 Likes on 584 Posts

Battery cables are not getting hot or warm but the car is also not trying to start. When I push the green start button everything just shuts down. I have no idea what is going on here. I am trying to find someone that can come to my home and work on it.

Jay
Then you are not getting excessive current draw but you are getting excessive voltage drop which is why nothing is happening. That means there is excess resistance somewhere. Usually this is a loose and/or corroded connection. Sometimes it is a bad wire. It's possible for corrosion of the power supply or ground wires to greatly reduce their current carrying capability. But with your low miles I would be double checking every connection.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:31 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
Then you are not getting excessive current draw but you are getting excessive voltage drop which is why nothing is happening. That means there is excess resistance somewhere. Usually this is a loose and/or corroded connection. Sometimes it is a bad wire. It's possible for corrosion of the power supply or ground wires to greatly reduce their current carrying capability. But with your low miles I would be double checking every connection.
This all sounds correct. I am trying to find someone to go back and double check everything. I have confirmed that all connections are clean and making good contact. What I have not determined is if my cables are good since they are wrapped in the factory insulation and there is basically no room to work to follow the cables down to the starter. Very frustrating for sure. To make matters worse I am moving in two weeks and we are in a huge moving mess. I am just going to leave the car here until I can get back to it.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Jay
Old 01-03-2023, 08:03 PM
Jimmybevis
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the car will start using a jump from another car then I suggest you buy a PORTABLE CHARGER. They are light weight, take up no space and can be had anywhere for about $75. My C6 will start on its own about 90 percent of the time but needs a little boost at other times. All parts stores carry them. If you can stand the embarrassment of having all the Mustang and Hellcat people laughing at you while you're jumping your car, then this is the way to go (until you find the real problem).

My wife's Acura has a small drain somewhere, so I have one in her car as well.

Quick Reply: 2007 starting problem - LS 2 --- 3LT