C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bent Rims ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2021, 09:28 PM
Donzo7
Drifting

Received 302 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by killain
Within 30 miles here, is a great company who can straighten bent wheels, Any kind of wheels, and I'm sure you have a retable company somewhere relatively close to you who do the same, Do a google search in your zip and see if you can have them checked, straightened and refinished. I'd be too fearful of buying wheels if I couldn't have them checked before hand. There's just too many scammers out there today. Good Luck !
The seller is a senior forum ZR1 owner like myself. He had bought them to use at the track and never did.So he had never mounted tires on them before selling them to me. Definitely not a scammer.....

Last edited by Donzo7; 10-21-2021 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:41 PM
Donzo7
Drifting

I found a wheel repair shop and they did offer to check them for free. Repairs if needed would be 200 per wheel. Is that the going rate to repair a wheel?
Old 10-21-2021, 10:13 PM
oldcanuck
Pro

Received 303 Likes on 193 Posts

This time make them show you on each wheel where and how much the are "bent" before you shell out $200 each. JMO.
The following users liked this post:
Donzo7 (10-22-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 10:19 PM
Donzo7
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sayfoo
I did a wheel exchange that took my oem painted wheels and exchanged them for the same wheel that they had chrome plated. The car was about a year old with about 5k miles on it. I used the oem tires.
Part of the exchange process required my wheels to be oem and xlnt condition. When they dismounted my first tire and spun the wheel, they said it was bent. I looked at it and there was very little run out. I asked them to put 1 of their rims on the machine and spin it. It had the same very small run out, or optical illusion. I think it was their gimmick to charge me more $$. This was a mail order company that was close to me, so I could save a lot of money by not having shipping charges. If I was farther away, I would have been screwed because they would have my wheels and I would have had to cough up some $$ to complete the deal.
So, what is the tolerance for wheel run out?
Did you actually see the wobble when they spun the wheel?
Do you trust the shop and do you think they were just trying to get more $$ from you?
Since the tires are already mounted and installed, can you jack up each wheel and spin them to see if you actually have excessive run out?
Please do not take any offense at any of the above. The criticism is all aimed at the shops.
No offense taken. I was caught off guard when the shop foreman came into the waiting area and told me they were all bent and 3 had already been balanced.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:00 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,148 Posts

Originally Posted by Donzo7
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I found an article from Tire Rack addressing balancing tires. They said up to 1% of the total wheel wait can be used to balance wheels. So a 50lb wheel and tire could have up to 5 ounces of weights to balance.
Didn't know about the 1% bit. Good to have that info. 50lb is 800 ounces. 1% of that is 8 ounces, not 5. Easy mistake to make.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:12 AM
Donzo7
Drifting

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
Didn't know about the 1% bit. Good to have that info. 50lb is 800 ounces. 1% of that is 8 ounces, not 5. Easy mistake to make.
Good catch!! So than my wheels needing 2 ounces or less to balance each wheel isnt a big deal compared to 8 ounces🤔
Old 10-22-2021, 12:00 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,148 Posts

Good catch!! So than my wheels needing 2 ounces or less to balance each wheel isnt a big deal compared to 8 ounces🤔
Thanks. Just FYI, one of the OEM rear wheels on my 11 GS had what the shop described as a 'hop'. The manager said that this was not uncommon on aluminum rims, and that a pothole or something similar is usually the culprit. Given the state of the roads around here following all of the frost damage in the winter, it's not surprising. Notwithstanding the hop, they have a pretty good road force balancing machine that used a laser to find run-out, and they positioned the tire and weights to compensate for the hop, plus put the wheel on the passenger side, where they said if if there was any vibration, I would feel it less. I have to say there's no detectable wheel vibration at any speed I've driven, so in my experience a good balancer can compensate for some run-out.
Old 10-22-2021, 02:13 PM
Red Greene
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 146 Posts

Could the barrels of the rims be bent ? 🤔 I had a simialr issue with my GS
Old 10-22-2021, 02:33 PM
Donzo7
Drifting

Originally Posted by Red Greene
Could the barrels of the rims be bent ? 🤔 I had a simialr issue with my GS
I'm sure that's possible. Ive driven the car on the highway up to 90. No vibrations in seat or steering wheel. All 4 wheels took 2 ounces or less in weights to balance. I thought 2 ounces was alot but the Tire Rack article states up to 8 ounces or 1% of total tire/wheel weight is normal to balance a 50lb tire/wheel.

Last edited by Donzo7; 10-22-2021 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-22-2021, 02:37 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I found an article from Tire Rack addressing balancing tires. They said up to 1% of the total wheel wait can be used to balance wheels. So a 50lb wheel and tire could have up to 5 ounces of weights to balance. None of my wheels have more than 2 ounces of 1/4 ounce tape weights on them. I've driven the car on the highway up to 100 mph. No vibration in seat or steering wheel. I think the wheels are fine.
I agree with you, Donzo,,,I think the wheels are likely fine. However, I want to help you out with your math. There are 16 ounces to a pound, not 10. A 50 pound wheel weighs 800 ounces, so 8 ounces would be acceptable, according to tire rack. The math doesn't matter much for your situation, but if you ever want to be precise with small weights, that is important. Coincidentally, there are 16 ounces to a pint, hence a saying I learned in high school..."A pint's a pound the world around". Though it might seem like I've gone off the deep end, it is good stuff to know.
Old 10-22-2021, 02:48 PM
Donzo7
Drifting

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
I agree with you, Donzo,,,I think the wheels are likely fine. However, I want to help you out with your math. There are 16 ounces to a pound, not 10. A 50 pound wheel weighs 800 ounces, so 8 ounces would be acceptable, according to tire rack. The math doesn't matter much for your situation, but if you ever want to be precise with small weights, that is important. Coincidentally, there are 16 ounces to a pint, hence a saying I learned in high school..."A pint's a pound the world around". Though it might seem like I've gone off the deep end, it is good stuff to know.
That was already brought to my attention 😂
Old 10-22-2021, 03:11 PM
JR Jackson
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Sounds like the situation has resolved itself and if the car is smooth at 90+ - all’s good in the hood I like to say…

I’ve seen many a tech show me a very slight irregularity in a wheel and claim the wheel is bent. I feel it was more for “self preservation” just in case there was a complaint of vibration.

The Tire Rack article is interesting, 8 oz is a considerable amount of weight on anything short of 35-37” OD.. I’d be looking for something else before allowing close to that on a Vette wheel.

I think your in great shape with 2oz. or less on each of your wheels. - not always 100% telling but generally a very good indication of how an assembly will ride.

JR
Old 10-22-2021, 08:38 PM
Donzo7
Drifting

Originally Posted by JABCAT
That explains it - dealerships always trying to rake in extra $$
That's what strange I think. They didnt say they couldn't be balanced but did say they were bent. They didnt they to sell me new wheels or anything else. They did send me home with 38 psi in each tire and tire change goop on all of my rims and sidewalls....🤨
Old 10-22-2022, 01:28 PM
Nhdataguy
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been battling a rhythmic sound / vibration that starts about 72 and continues up through arrestable speeds. I bought the car about 1.5 months ago , spent some time in the dealer getting prepped for delivery, I had brought it back for the same issue they supposedly road force balanced them, it is a rhythmic vibration / whirring that is about every second maybe second and a half and gets faster with speed, rpm have nothing to do with it. It definitely sound like coming from the rear and it does shake the rear view every so slightly kind of like when too much subwoofer ... Dropped it off on Friday at the dealer and they called me back in the afternoon and said that i had a bent rim and they wouldn't do anything for me. Ill fight that one next week, Do the road force machines have a print out? It is just a very annoying more than anything, I spend 2-3 hours driving each week back and forth in NH/MA. Funny thing is I could hear / feel it over the obnoxious Flow masters it had on it and now that i replaced them with NPP I can hear myself think again...I spend most of the time on the highway so its getting old...

Thanks
Old 11-05-2022, 07:15 PM
Nhdataguy
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Update:
Dealer is taking care of it, Supposedly picking it up on Monday, It had 2 bent rime supposedly, I made them take it for a drive on the highway and they could feel it and heard what I was talking about , Will update when fixed, Yes they roadforce balanced them and will get the tickets when I pick it up to see how much weight it took before ...

Quick Reply: Bent Rims ?