C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 steering wheel upgrade to 2012 help

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2021, 12:56 AM
Dr.BlueDevil
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2008 steering wheel upgrade to 2012 help

Good day all
I have 08 vette auto transmission with standard steering wheel no buttons
I already purchase 2012 fully loaded steering wheel with buttons
I wonder is it gonna work with my nav system . Do i need to do something?
​​​​​​Do i need to replace the clock spring?
Old 10-20-2021, 11:15 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,757 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.BlueDevil
Good day all
I have 08 vette auto transmission with standard steering wheel no buttons
I already purchase 2012 fully loaded steering wheel with buttons
I wonder is it gonna work with my nav system . Do i need to do something?
​​​​​​Do i need to replace the clock spring?
Do you have a stock nav system or aftermarket ? You should have the correct clock spring, but it depends if you have the wiring from the clock spring connector to the radio connector, thats what we need to figure out, if not, you may need to run three wires to your radio connector.

Last edited by madsonp; 10-20-2021 at 11:42 PM.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:47 AM
Dr.BlueDevil
Advanced

Originally Posted by madsonp
Do you have a stock nav system or aftermarket ? You should have the correct clock spring, but it depends if you have the wiring from the clock spring connector to the radio connector, thats what we need to figure out, if not, you may need to run three wires to your radio connector.
It was standard non nav and i sawap it to oem nav ..
That what im afraid of that wires does not exist
I will wat till my wheet arrived the i will see
​​
Old 10-21-2021, 02:12 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

It was standard non nav and i sawap it to oem nav ..
That what im afraid of that wires does not exist
I will wat till my wheet arrived the i will see
​​
Do you know what year the OEM nav is ? I believe it needs to be an 08+ nav unit to work with steering wheel controls. Your new steering wheel won't indicate whether or not you have the wiring needed for the controls to work, you determine this at the connector that your clock spring plugs into behind the dash, the connector from the clock spring to the dash wiring should look like this.

There are seven wires in this connector. The Purple, Brown, and Red wires are the ones for the steering wheel controls, if the corresponding connector that this one plugs into also has the Purple, Brown, and Red wires in addition to the other four wires, I think you have the wiring needed in place, if it doesn't, then you'll need to run three wires from there to the radio connector of the head unit. So you'll need to look at the connector behind the dash, it's basically in the location shown here, which you should be able to see by removing the bottom panel of the dash.

To remove the bottom panel underneath your Steering wheel, there're 2 torx screws that need to be removed after that then gently pop out the panel there are 2 plastic tabs that will snap out.

Then you may need to remove this stainless bracket out the way to see the connector, (4) 7mm bolts that need to be removed.

So if I remember correctly at this point you should be able to see the grey connector from the clock spring, and the corresponding connector that it plugs into. Like I mentioned previously, if the corresponding connector that the clock spring connector plugs into has seven wires, then the wiring should be there, if it only has four wires, then you'll need to run new wires to the head unit connector. Hope this make sense, if not let me know. If you're missing the three wires, let me know, and I'll help you with how to run these wires, and hook them up.

Last edited by madsonp; 10-21-2021 at 02:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JR Jackson (10-22-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 02:18 AM
Dr.BlueDevil
Advanced

Originally Posted by madsonp
Do you know what year the OEM nav is ? I believe it needs to be an 08+ nav unit to work with steering wheel controls. Your new steering wheel won't indicate whether or not you have the wiring needed for the controls to work, you determine this at the connector that your clock spring plugs into behind the dash, the connector from the clock spring to the dash wiring should look like this.

There are seven wires in this connector. The Purple, Brown, and Red wires are the ones for the steering wheel controls, if the corresponding connector that this one plugs into also has the Purple, Brown, and Red wires in addition to the other four wires, I think you have the wiring needed in place, if it doesn't, then you'll need to run three wires from there to the radio connector of the head unit. So you'll need to look at the connector behind the dash, it's basically in the location shown here, which you should be able to see by removing the bottom panel of the dash.

To remove the bottom panel underneath your Steering wheel, there're 2 torx screws that need to be removed after that then gently pop out the panel there are 2 plastic tabs that will snap out.

Then you may need to remove this stainless bracket out the way to see the connector, (4) 7mm bolts that need to be removed.

So if I remember correctly at this point you should be able to see the grey connector from the clock spring, and the corresponding connector that it plugs into. Like I mentioned previously, if the corresponding connector that the clock spring connector plugs into has seven wires, then the wiring should be there, if it only has four wires, then you'll need to run new wires to the head unit connector. Hope this make sense, if not let me know. If you're missing the three wires, let me know, and I'll help you with how to run these wires, and hook them up.
Got it
Many thx
I will start once my wheel. Received and let u know
Old 10-21-2021, 02:27 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Got it
Many thx
I will start once my wheel. Received and let u know
You didn't tell me what year your nav unit is though, it needs to be an 08+

Last edited by madsonp; 10-21-2021 at 02:29 AM.
Old 10-21-2021, 03:04 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Another way you can determine if you already have the needed wiring is to look at the head unit connector, if it's missing two wires in the locations in the connector as shown here, then you'll need to run the wires.

If it has the wires needed in the location noted in the previous photo, it should look like this Note the Red and Black wires. (On yours if you have them, they should be Purple and Dark Blue instead of the Red and Black that are shown here) Then you should have the wires needed for the steering wheel controls to function.

Last edited by madsonp; 10-21-2021 at 03:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JR Jackson (10-22-2021)
Old 10-22-2021, 09:55 AM
JR Jackson
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Madsonp, outstanding help here!

Your reply answers the question and every other question that’ll come up in the project.
That’s how to help a fellow member out.

That’s what I think is so great about the forum.

JR

The following 2 users liked this post by JR Jackson:
GriMacE912 (10-22-2021), madsonp (10-22-2021)
Old 10-22-2021, 10:00 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JR Jackson
Madsonp, outstanding help here!

Your reply answers the question and every other question that’ll come up in the project.
That’s how to help a fellow member out.

That’s what I think is so great about the forum.

JR
Well thank you very much, I appreciate it.

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 steering wheel upgrade to 2012 help

Quick Reply: 2008 steering wheel upgrade to 2012 help