C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin ps4 sidewall cracks

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2021, 01:31 AM
drewz06
thing knower
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 926 Likes on 684 Posts

replace them.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:52 PM
LOST_C6_OC
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Date code is 2018
I've seen this happen numerous times on truck suv tires that are way older. They are typically a much harder compound and longer treadware rating.

I made this post out of curiosity if this has ever happened to anyone else with the same tires.
I'm not concerned about them suddenly blowing out or separating as I had said in previous post the cracking is on the outside facing tire not inside so it's some sort of dry rot.
It's superficial and on the surface not coming from within the tire but I would assume this could be a defect as it's never been driven in temperatures under 50° but sees as low as 30 in the winter mornings. Also to be noted this just happened over summer so I would consider winter driving to be irrelevant at this time.
As for the miles I really have no reason to lie about having 20+k miles and the large amount of tread remaining for said miles. I don't abuse the car and it doesn't see much hard acceleration freeway +traffic = very little wear.

Knowing if this is a problem for others helps my argument when I take the tires in the shop they were purchased from. If it's just a fluke then it is what it is.

So at the moment no, I'm not going to just buy another set. Nor will I be doing burnouts to finish them off.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:12 PM
oldcanuck
Pro

Received 303 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
Guys, you don't sit there until the tires explode.
Patsgarage thanks for stepping in.
I didn't want to start a pi..n match.
Hey one of my best friends is Pat and some of my best memories are wrenchin in his garage !!!
So OP... smokem

Last edited by oldcanuck; 10-26-2021 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:23 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcanuck
Hey one of my best friends is Pat and some of my best memories are wrenchin in his garage !!!
So OP... smokem
Small world.

Last edited by Patsgarage; 10-26-2021 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:14 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,671 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcanuck
So OP... smokem
OP already stated he has enough sense to not smoke them. The cracks COULD only be on the surface. They are pretty badly cracked where the main tread was molded to the sidewall; thus my comment about the very real possibility that the tread could peel off and beat the crap out of the car. Maybe the OP will let you put his wheels/tires on your car to do a burnout when he decides to replace them...
Old 10-27-2021, 05:49 PM
LOST_C6_OC
Intermediate

Submitted a request to michelin since the tires are under 30k miles and only 2 years installed on the vehicle.
Side note guys michelin warranties up to 6 years on this tire

Definitely a bad cast to be good going out so early. I bet half of you would be upset spending that kind of money every two years. Always try the manufacturer first before resorting to something like "burning them off"
The following users liked this post:
door2416 (11-01-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 05:52 PM
LOST_C6_OC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BadAV
OP already stated he has enough sense to not smoke them. The cracks COULD only be on the surface. They are pretty badly cracked where the main tread was molded to the sidewall; thus my comment about the very real possibility that the tread could peel off and beat the crap out of the car. Maybe the OP will let you put his wheels/tires on your car to do a burnout when he decides to replace them...
Couldn't agree more, I like my paint and original fiberglass. I also don't beat on this car, at almost 30k still had tons of tread.

In previous vehicles in younger years I used to run falkin rt 615 of I recall correctly. Those lasted a few months of daily abuse.
This is my freeway cruiser and commuter
Old 10-27-2021, 11:35 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,016 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Double post.

Last edited by Dano523; 11-01-2021 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:44 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,016 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by LOST_C6_OC
Submitted a request to michelin since the tires are under 30k miles and only 2 years installed on the vehicle.
Side note guys michelin warranties up to 6 years on this tire

Definitely a bad cast to be good going out so early. I bet half of you would be upset spending that kind of money every two years. Always try the manufacturer first before resorting to something like "burning them off"

Only works if he is the one that bought the tires to put on the car in the first place/has has the receipt or can go to the shop that he bought them to get a copy of the receipt.
If he bought the car used and the tires were on the car, then should have had the seller/original buyer replace the tires before he got the car (or worked out a deal for the original buyer to help him get the tires replaced under warrenty).

Also, since the tires can not be 4 way rotated on the C6 due to the fronts and back begin different tires sizes, the wear mileage on the tires is reduced to a half life regarding wear mileage on the C6.

So since tires are under 6 years old, if they are under 15K of use, and he is the one that bought them, then just take the receipt of the tires in to any Michelin tire shop and have them wear warrenty replaced.
Old 11-01-2021, 01:25 AM
LOST_C6_OC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dano523
Only works if he is the one that bought the tires to put on the car in the first place/has has the receipt or can go to the shop that he bought them to get a copy of the receipt.
If he bought the car used and the tires were on the car, then should have had the seller/original buyer replace the tires before he got the car (or worked out a deal for the original buyer to help him get the tires replaced under warrenty).

Also, since the tires can not be 4 way rotated on the C6 due to the fronts and back begin different tires sizes, the wear mileage on the tires is reduced to a half life regarding wear mileage on the C6.

So since tires are under 6 years old, if they are under 15K of use, and he is the one that bought them, then just take the receipt of the tires in to any Michelin tire shop and have them wear warrenty replaced.
Michelin covered the tires at 28k miles no penalties "for being a c6" also the wear front vs back tires was spot on for exact amount of tread worn. 60 percent life front and back.
The following users liked this post:
BigBlok502 (11-01-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 05:37 AM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Good to know Michelin stepped up and honored the warranty. Thanks for posting I will remember that when I replace the tires on my C6
Old 11-01-2021, 12:12 PM
drewz06
thing knower
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 926 Likes on 684 Posts

so the cracking was a bad thing then?

Quick Reply: Michelin ps4 sidewall cracks