C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chinesium Junk

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 03:02 PM
dondoucette
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Chinesium Junk

So I purchased a flywheel hold jig off Amazon to facilitate harmonic dampener torquing. Since I figured this would be a single use tool I went cheap. Well F me…

Would you look at the undercut on those “welds”. Doesn’t look like they used any filler on those tig welds, lol, I really didn’t expect much but come on. Guess I’ll fire up my tig welder and fix this mess. 🤔🤨

Popular Reply

01-22-2022, 03:36 PM
ETPhoneHome
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

man **** it. use it. if it breaks, then fix it. unless your taking your balancer off every year, prob not worth the time or effort.
Old 01-22-2022, 03:36 PM
ETPhoneHome
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

man **** it. use it. if it breaks, then fix it. unless your taking your balancer off every year, prob not worth the time or effort.
The following 8 users liked this post by ETPhoneHome:
ApexClone (01-22-2022), BigBilll (01-27-2022), BigBlok502 (01-22-2022), Dave Carney (01-23-2022), dondoucette (01-22-2022), Dutch08 (01-22-2022), FAUEE (01-22-2022), LS1AB (01-22-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-22-2022, 04:18 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

And these Chinese are now sending rockets to the moon !

I am surprised any of their rockets even get off the launch pad !

Question ... If you ever needed a heart pacemaker to stay alive, would you want one that was made in China surgically implanted in your chest ?
The following users liked this post:
dondoucette (01-22-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 07:29 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,173 Posts

Pissing in the wind by breaking it apart to re-weld it, since the metal is soft to begin with instead.

So unless you are planning on stripping it so you can first break the welds and re-weld it a lot cleaner, then heat treating the entire thing afterwards (***** loads of Kasenit to get more carbon into the steel to start with), then just run it as it, and if it does break a weld for the single use, would worry more about the metal bending/peening instead.

Simply, most of the time cheap has nothing to do with the labor of building the tool so much, but the metals used to build the tool isntead. Take wrenches, and since it pretty much the same process to get the finished wrench in the end (forging and processing), the reduction in price comes down to the steel and heat treatment processes isntead.

P.S, love that fact that they did not even clean up the splatter, before the piece as painted. So guessing steel was not even primed after clean up, so paint should be easy to remove (that is what does not flake off from the first time you go to use it as well)

Oh, and back to the welds, and the reason that it's only single pass welded, single pass wire is a hell of lot cheaper than multi pass wire, so would be twice the money in welding wire if they were going to do multi-pass fillet welds to begin with. If you are going to re-weld it to start with, then you have a lot of grinding to do, since you need to remove all of the single pass wire fill to start with from the base metal, before you can start laying down welds with multi pass wire or rod.
The following users liked this post:
mikeCsix (01-24-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 04:47 PM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
And these Chinese are now sending rockets to the moon !

I am surprised any of their rockets even get off the launch pad !

Question ... If you ever needed a heart pacemaker to stay alive, would you want one that was made in China surgically implanted in your chest ?
interesting note- the valves that control the fuel on Chinese space craft are made in the USA!
Thats right - even the Chinese government is smart enough to not by their own junk
Old 01-24-2022, 02:35 PM
c5arlen
Melting Slicks

Received 818 Likes on 590 Posts

OK.... U no likie?... Now that you got the part shape and dimensions, fab your own weldment outa stainless or carbon steel, then you can chrome it or polish it or....... paint it torch red! 😎
Old 01-24-2022, 04:31 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by ETPhoneHome

It is just a stationary tool. Bolt it in and let it do its job. Its not like it is getting hammered on. At least it shouldnt get hammered on.
Old 01-24-2022, 05:19 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,173 Posts

Originally Posted by JackDidley
It is just a stationary tool. Bolt it in and let it do its job. Its not like it is getting hammered on. At least it shouldnt get hammered on.

Good lord man, every mechanic knows that every tool you have, can second as a hammer when needed!
Same rule goes for screw drivers, since they can be used as a not only for wedging, but chisel as well (unless your an electrician, and its only your old worn out Klein screw drivers that you use for such in the end).

As for this with it excess of paint build up in the through channel, guessing that the bolt will not only have to be hammered in to start with, but hammered out in the end as well.

So there goes your "No hammering rule" to start with.

Really, when is comes to buying what you consider one time use knock off tools, its really a crap shoot, since the cost reduction is not that much to begin with, and lets face it, in most cases, before you get to end of task, the tool has had not only problems to start with, and even lucky if it even last to the end as well.

Case in point on the fly wheel holder, will bank that the gear section does not fully mate up with the fly wheel teeth to start with, with the excess of paint, even bolting the tool up tight is going to end up with the teeth slipping/having to go back and re-tighten up the bolt, and the first time he hits the HB bolt with a impact driver to break it free in the first place, tool going to break apart in a few pieces as well.

So back to OP, once you do finish the project, please post back with the wear of the tool, and how many of a PITA it was using the ill fitting tool in the first place.
Hence kind of reminds me of someone gleaming a cheap set of wrench, only to loose half the skin of their knuckle as the open end peens open, the wrench slips off the flats, and their hand bounces off something sharp and solid in the end to do the carnage.

Get notified of new replies

To Chinesium Junk

Quick Reply: Chinesium Junk