C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is 2nd and 3rd gear so close? (M6 Grand Sport)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 11:04 AM
slowtealz28
Safety Car

Received 408 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by old motorhead
I increased the static c/r through head milling and thinner head gaskets, and also bumped up the dynamic c/r thru cam timing to increase the bottom end power of my current heads/cam C6. 1st gear will spin the PS4's punching it even from a slow roll. It will spin at the top of 2nd also. It would take drag radials to hook 1st and 2nd completely. I drove my first C6 on drag radials from home to the track several times. Absolutely hated how unstable it was on less than perfect roads. I'll never forget a lane change that went up a couple of inches due to fresh asphalt topping on one lane and not on the other. It felt, for an instant, that I was going to lose control. Wasn't expecting that at all.

And yeah, this Vette isn't trying to kill me every time I open it up. Still plenty fast, just not hair on fire fast.
I have a decent amount of street miles on drag radials so I completely understand what you mean. Got caught in the rain once and NEVER made that mistake again. Good to see you got traction in first on the street though.

Originally Posted by C6 GS 6.2 GT
Before I got the chance to drive it, I rode shotgun in a new at the time C5Z. I was very surprised with the short 1-3 gearing (same as C6 GS). It was very pronounced compared to my eventual C5, and I'm talking stock! It was like it was rear end geared.

Btw the reason I bring up comparing, is the ratios of the C5, base, are similar to the C6, base. Interesting indeed.
Yeah a stock C5 and C5Z feel like totally different cars just from the gearing. Same with say a base manual C6 and a grand sport. The C5z and grand sport trans are really good 1st through 3rd for 1/4 mile stuff, but the 3-4 shift really seems to hold the car back in the 1/4 mile at least. Doing 3.90’s in my C5 really turned that car into a different animal in an awesome way. If I really didn’t want a blower I would probably throw 4.10’s in this car. Who knows what the future holds, but unless I blow up my diff I highly doubt I would get rid of the stock gearing on this one.
Old 01-29-2022, 09:49 PM
rybern
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 350 Posts

I increased the static c/r through head milling and thinner head gaskets, and also bumped up the dynamic c/r thru cam timing to increase the bottom end power of my current heads/cam C6. 1st gear will spin the PS4's punching it even from a slow roll. It will spin at the top of 2nd also. It would take drag radials to hook 1st and 2nd completely. I drove my first C6 on drag radials from home to the track several times. Absolutely hated how unstable it was on less than perfect roads. I'll never forget a lane change that went up a couple of inches due to fresh asphalt topping on one lane and not on the other. It felt, for an instant, that I was going to lose control. Wasn't expecting that at all.

And yeah, this Vette isn't trying to kill me every time I open it up. Still plenty fast, just not hair on fire fast.
Thanks for bringing your 2 cents sir. Lots of little details to yield the nice gains you received along with great street manners.

Getting squirrelly with DR's doesn't sound fun at all. I'm curious if the DR's you had were 15" or 16" and therefor also dealing with a lot taller sidewall in addition to softer sidewalls. I put nearly 2000 miles on the Toyo TQ DR's on my 2000 Camaro without issue, but they were 17's. That car was 360whp and would dead hook and pull 1.65-1.70 60'.
Old 01-29-2022, 09:54 PM
Boss 57
Burning Brakes

Received 175 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by slowtealz28
Yeah a stock C5 and C5Z feel like totally different cars just from the gearing. Same with say a base manual C6 and a grand sport. The C5z and grand sport trans are really good 1st through 3rd for 1/4 mile stuff, but the 3-4 shift really seems to hold the car back in the 1/4 mile at least. Doing 3.90’s in my C5 really turned that car into a different animal in an awesome way. If I really didn’t want a blower I would probably throw 4.10’s in this car. Who knows what the future holds, but unless I blow up my diff I highly doubt I would get rid of the stock gearing on this one.
Yes I can see how 3.90's or even 4.10's transform the car into a quarter mile treat, with the close 1-4 gearing. Something the C6 GS cannot pull off, like you mentioned with it's 3-4. Still, I would enjoy that 1-3 being shorter geared, 1-100 or less is where I spend greater time, hehe.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:31 PM
slowtealz28
Safety Car

Yes I can see how 3.90's or even 4.10's transform the car into a quarter mile treat, with the close 1-4 gearing. Something the C6 GS cannot pull off, like you mentioned with it's 3-4. Still, I would enjoy that 1-3 being shorter geared, 1-100 or less is where I spend greater time, hehe.
The taller numerical gears made the car feel faster than it actually was too, which is also cool. The grand sport if I wanna show off it’s like, do you want the car to go sideways on the highway in 2nd gear? Or we can do a real short pull in third gear, but once we get into 4th I’m not gonna let out and 4th gets up there in mph so there’s really only one fun option lol. Im starting to second guess what kind of tire I’m gonna put on the car for the street. My biggest fear is spending $1200-$2400 and still just have spin city.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:40 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,346 Likes on 953 Posts

Originally Posted by rybern
Thanks for bringing your 2 cents sir. Lots of little details to yield the nice gains you received along with great street manners.

Getting squirrelly with DR's doesn't sound fun at all. I'm curious if the DR's you had were 15" or 16" and therefor also dealing with a lot taller sidewall in addition to softer sidewalls. I put nearly 2000 miles on the Toyo TQ DR's on my 2000 Camaro without issue, but they were 17's. That car was 360whp and would dead hook and pull 1.65-1.70 60'.
I used 295/45 17 ET Streets. Don't think they make that size any more. I had them aired down quite a bit if memory serves. That probably contributed to the squirreliness. I'd rather spin on the streets than fool with DR's again.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:34 PM
Boss 57
Burning Brakes

The taller numerical gears made the car feel faster than it actually was too, which is also cool. The grand sport if I wanna show off it’s like, do you want the car to go sideways on the highway in 2nd gear? Or we can do a real short pull in third gear, but once we get into 4th I’m not gonna let out and 4th gets up there in mph so there’s really only one fun option lol. Im starting to second guess what kind of tire I’m gonna put on the car for the street. My biggest fear is spending $1200-$2400 and still just have spin city.
Oh yeah I know exactly what you mean! They gave that gearing to the LS2 GTO's, as well. Anyways hmm, what about tires. I feel the variables have to come together just right. All around street though, many options other than DR's, also streetable. For example, Toyo R888r. with your weather, they might fit right in!
Old 01-31-2022, 12:46 AM
slowtealz28
Safety Car

Oh yeah I know exactly what you mean! They gave that gearing to the LS2 GTO's, as well. Anyways hmm, what about tires. I feel the variables have to come together just right. All around street though, many options other than DR's, also streetable. For example, Toyo R888r. with your weather, they might fit right in!
I’ve never owned the R888’a but I’ve heard they’re LOUD. Half the reason to ditch runflats is just for noise so kinda contradicts, especially if I get 17” rims for racing. I did like the toyo drag radials I ran on in my C5, prizes maybe? C5 Pete let me borrow them one day at Atco and I went my personal bests all night. The R888’s would be the best all around street tire though. It’s so hot down here and the vast majority of our roads are concrete, so tires and batteries don’t make it long down here either and I know the toyos aren’t known for longevity. I have seen recent bashing threads about them but there were some characters in that thread.
Old 01-31-2022, 01:09 AM
Boss 57
Burning Brakes

I’ve never owned the R888’a but I’ve heard they’re LOUD. Half the reason to ditch runflats is just for noise so kinda contradicts, especially if I get 17” rims for racing. I did like the toyo drag radials I ran on in my C5, prizes maybe? C5 Pete let me borrow them one day at Atco and I went my personal bests all night. The R888’s would be the best all around street tire though. It’s so hot down here and the vast majority of our roads are concrete, so tires and batteries don’t make it long down here either and I know the toyos aren’t known for longevity. I have seen recent bashing threads about them but there were some characters in that thread.
Oh boy you are more discerning in this regard, well there are definitely variables to consider. What ones are important in your plan, most specifically. Anyways I fear that we digress, unless you really want to discuss tires I'll bow out for now in reference to the topic.
Old 01-31-2022, 06:26 AM
rybern
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 350 Posts

I used 295/45 17 ET Streets. Don't think they make that size any more. I had them aired down quite a bit if memory serves. That probably contributed to the squirreliness. I'd rather spin on the streets than fool with DR's again.
Ah, I bet that's it. I'd always air back up to 26psi immediately upon leaving the strip.

Quick Reply: Why is 2nd and 3rd gear so close? (M6 Grand Sport)