C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dreaded balancer diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2023, 09:36 PM
Smitsd
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Dreaded balancer diagnosis

Hey forum members,
Got the dreaded harmonic balancer wobble diagnosis the other day on my 05 with 23,000 miles on it. Also oil leak from the oil pan gasket. To my limited knowledge I think I should have both done at the same time. Mechanic suggests the Summit Racing balancer and bolt and a one piece Felcro gasket for the oil pan.
Research here on the Forum indicated two different thicknesses for the Felcro gasket. The thinner one for the ls 2 engine.
My question is are these suggestions in line for the proper parts for this repair or are there other or better options I should look for.
Thanks in advance for any help or responses.
Old 05-02-2023, 11:19 PM
Klawp
Drifting

Received 855 Likes on 476 Posts

Summit balancer, ARP bolt and a front main seal. That gasket for pan should be fine (thinner).
The following users liked this post:
Smitsd (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 03:16 AM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

I replaced mine by moving the steering rack out of the way. Sounds like your situation would be to remove the engine cradle and lower the engine to swap the balancer. This also gives you access to the oil pan. Make sure you get a break on labor for time saved in combining the two repairs. Also, if not done already, suggest replacing the power steering pressure hose while in there. The 05-07 short hose with a tight bend and prone to leaking has been replaced with a 08+ design that solves this known issue.

Felcro?.....Most likely the brand mentioned was Fel-Pro. Quality gaskets....don't know of different choices for your car. Would go with that or OEM GM.

Definitely make sure the balancer bolt is replaced and the mechanic has the instructions to do a proper torque-yield install. Print out instructions for him. Mentioned on here are the ARP bolt that can be reused several times or the original GM bolt for a one-time use. I am in the group that went with the GM bolt as there is no issue with them so didn't feel the need to pay an extra $30 for a bolt that I better only need to use one time. So don't get all worked up if the mechanic doesn't suggest an ARP bolt.

The following users liked this post:
Smitsd (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 07:04 AM
Smitsd
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the responses. Helpful information that I appreciate. Good advice on changing the power steering pressure hose. Wouldn’t have thought of that.

Get notified of new replies

To Dreaded balancer diagnosis

Quick Reply: Dreaded balancer diagnosis