C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check charging system

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 08:18 AM
Babyblu
Navigator

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Check charging system

Hey guys I need some help from the experts.

So my car for a week was having an issue when I push the throttle and do some spirited driving the car completely turns off. It was a bit worry some because I would be driving 60 mph and then have to quickly
turn the car back on to drive. Now my battery will not charge and loses voltage after driving. I get a message on the dash stating "Service Charging System". I cannot drive the car for more than 10 minutes without
the juice in the battery going to 0.

I have taken my battery to Advanced Auto Parts and the battery checks out. Charges fine and is only less than a year old. I pulled the alternator out of the car and took it to a shop. They stated it works fine as well.
I am a little stumped at this point because I'm not very mechanically inclined but try to resolve all my car issues as I don't wanna pay the corvette tax to repair a measly issue. Not sure where else to go from here.

A couple of routes I can go from here that I have been researching about is to replace the solenoid in the starter or check all grounding points. Does anyone have any ideas of what it can be? Mind you the car only has
about 50k miles so its relatively new. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. As detailed as it gets since I'm such a newbie.

I have checked the battery, alternator, and fuses. One thing to note is my battery is located in the trunk. Not sure if this helps lol

Thank you!!

Last edited by Babyblu; 05-04-2023 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-04-2023, 09:52 AM
Klawp
Drifting

Received 855 Likes on 476 Posts

Sounds to me like you have a loose/bad connection somewhere. I've said it before and I'll say it again too, I used to work at an auto parts store and those testers will test good one test, then bad another. I would take a auto stores tester with a grain of salt
Old 05-04-2023, 10:09 AM
ClothSeats
Drifting

Received 800 Likes on 518 Posts

In addition to all of the usual checks for charging problems, you might disconnect the battery negative cable ground point, shine it up, and reattach it. That is something that often goes overlooked. That ground point is shown on the attached drawing, and is best seen in view B, located forward of the right wheel tub. It is accessed from the rear hatch area. You will have to lift up the carpet.
Attached Images
Old 05-04-2023, 10:44 AM
DrKrieger
Drifting

Received 854 Likes on 496 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Look at the ground connection under the battery.
Old 05-04-2023, 11:12 AM
Babyblu
Navigator

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ClothSeats
In addition to all of the usual checks for charging problems, you might disconnect the battery negative cable ground point, shine it up, and reattach it. That is something that often goes overlooked. That ground point is shown on the attached drawing, and is best seen in view B, located forward of the right wheel tub. It is accessed from the rear hatch area. You will have to lift up the carpet.
This picture is very helpful! Everything I see online was the battery in the engine bay. Thank you sir I will check it out later tonight.
Old 05-04-2023, 02:31 PM
gdmoore01
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 388 Posts

Something else to check. Follow the positive battery cable from the battery down to the starter solenoid. The post on the solenoid connects the cable from the battery and the cable from the alternator to the solenoid. This connection often comes loose or broken. Try to tighten it carefully and that may solve this problem. If broken, you will need to replace the solenoid which requires the removal of the starter for access.

GD

Get notified of new replies

To Check charging system

Quick Reply: Check charging system