C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Vert Automatic Roof not completely closing

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2023, 01:56 PM
jeffsolomon
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts
Default C6 Vert Automatic Roof not completely closing

Hi Folks,
The cover for my C6 Vert automatic roof seems to be struggling to latch the tonneau cover while either opening or closing the roof. It connects to the latch and then it sounds like the motor keeps running and running but won’t actually close completely and turn off. It latches, but won’t close that final 1/2 inch is so. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks.

Last edited by jeffsolomon; 05-26-2023 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-26-2023, 02:40 PM
I M Tweety Bird
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

I have the same problem....I seem to remember either on this forum or elsewhere that a fellow found a source for the plastic gear and replaced it a lot cheaper than buying a whole new motor system. I have searched but haven't found it yet......right now, I just HELP the tonneau cover down by putting my arm on it and helping it pull itself in.
The following users liked this post:
RoadGlide15 (06-10-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 02:41 PM
jeffsolomon
Instructor

Originally Posted by I M Tweety Bird
I have the same problem....I seem to remember either on this forum or elsewhere that a fellow found a source for the plastic gear and replaced it a lot cheaper than buying a whole new motor system. I have searched but haven't found it yet......right now, I just HELP the tonneau cover down by putting my arm on it and helping it pull itself in.
Thanks for the reply. It’s not the cover itself that’s struggling but the actual waterfall which will latch bit wont close all the way.
Old 05-26-2023, 02:52 PM
I M Tweety Bird
Racer

Originally Posted by jeffsolomon
Thanks for the reply. It’s not the cover itself that’s struggling but the actual waterfall which will latch bit wont close all the way.
The latch that is in the waterfall that pulls down on the tonneau cover...the waterfall doesn't move.... just the tonneau cover.
Old 05-26-2023, 03:12 PM
jeffsolomon
Instructor

The latch that is in the waterfall that pulls down on the tonneau cover...the waterfall doesn't move.... just the tonneau cover.
The tonneau moves fine, it’s the part above the waterfall that will latch but won’t close all the way whether the tonneau is open or closed. It sounds like the motor keeps running but won’t close the last little bit. Or is the part I’m referring to actually called the Tonneau cover?
Old 05-26-2023, 03:43 PM
I M Tweety Bird
Racer

Yes, you are using the wrong names for the different parts....Convertible Top / Tonneau Cover / Waterfall / Tonneau pulldown motor / Convertible Top Actuator motor.
Convertible Top= passenger compartment cover with rear glass window
Tonneau Cover=Hard plastic cover that hides the Convertible Top when in the down position & rear of the top sits on when up
Waterfall= plastic cover between the seats that hides the Tonneau pulldown motor and XM radio receiver
Tonneau motor= motor that pulls the tonneau cover down with either the top up or down position
Convertible Top Actuator motor= motor/hydraulic unit behind passenger seat under side panel

Last edited by I M Tweety Bird; 05-26-2023 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-26-2023, 07:15 PM
jeffsolomon
Instructor

Yes, you are using the wrong names for the different parts....Convertible Top / Tonneau Cover / Waterfall / Tonneau pulldown motor / Convertible Top Actuator motor.
Convertible Top= passenger compartment cover with rear glass window
Tonneau Cover=Hard plastic cover that hides the Convertible Top when in the down position & rear of the top sits on when up
Waterfall= plastic cover between the seats that hides the Tonneau pulldown motor and XM radio receiver
Tonneau motor= motor that pulls the tonneau cover down with either the top up or down position
Convertible Top Actuator motor= motor/hydraulic unit behind passenger seat under side panel
great, thank you for the explanation! So then I’m looking for any advice or guidance on the tonneau cover latching but not closing. Any suggestions?
Old 05-26-2023, 11:14 PM
La Orange
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi All
Having the same problem. I think, It is like the secondary latch is not working.
Old 05-27-2023, 09:31 AM
jeffsolomon
Instructor

I’m ordering the Dorman 747-000 as I’ve been led to believe this is the correct replacement actuator and is less than $100 on Amazon.

Last edited by jeffsolomon; 05-29-2023 at 12:40 AM.
I M Tweety Bird (05-27-2023)
Old 05-29-2023, 03:10 PM
RobertCorvette
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 87 Posts

I had the exact same issue in a 2010 grand sport. The gears just kept running and it wouldn’t latch. I replaced the little pulldown motor in the waterfall and hadn’t had a problem since.
It’s that crap plastic that breaks inside. Easy 30 minute swap.
Old 05-29-2023, 03:46 PM
jeffsolomon
Instructor

Originally Posted by RobertCorvette
I had the exact same issue in a 2010 grand sport. The gears just kept running and it wouldn’t latch. I replaced the little pulldown motor in the waterfall and hadn’t had a problem since.
It’s that crap plastic that breaks inside. Easy 30 minute swap.
great, thanks.
did you use the Dorman 747-000?
Old 05-30-2023, 10:24 AM
I M Tweety Bird
Racer

Originally Posted by jeffsolomon
I’m ordering the Dorman 747-000 as I’ve been led to believe this is the correct replacement actuator and is less than $100 on Amazon.
Once you get that unit and install it....follow up on this thread as to how everything went.
jeffsolomon (05-30-2023)
Old 06-09-2023, 05:59 PM
jeffsolomon
Instructor

Once you get that unit and install it....follow up on this thread as to how everything went.
Worked perfectly!!!
If anyone else is ever having this problem, it’s a simple 30 min fix with the Dorman 747-000.

Last edited by jeffsolomon; 06-09-2023 at 06:34 PM.
Trebor (06-09-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Vert Automatic Roof not completely closing

Quick Reply: C6 Vert Automatic Roof not completely closing