C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XLR and C6

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 08:27 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Default XLR and C6

I keep hearing where the Cad XLR is based on the C6. But that makes me wonder. The XLR is to go into production for sale in the next week or so. The C6 is still in the test mule phase. To me that sounds like the XLR is based on the C5, not the C6. Seems hard to base the XLR on something that does not yet exist.

But if the XLR IS the new technology, then I would have to say that the C6 is based on the XLR. Cadallic leading the way with the Vette following. :eek: I just hope that the XLR is C5 based.

tom...

[Modified by Tom73, 7:28 AM 1/21/2003]
Old 01-21-2003, 11:30 AM
verskel
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: XLR and C6 (Tom73)

The XLR, the C5, and the C6 will ALL have the SAME chassis ! :cheers:
Old 01-21-2003, 11:47 AM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

I keep hearing where the Cad XLR is based on the C6. But that makes me wonder. The XLR is to go into production for sale in the next week or so. The C6 is still in the test mule phase. To me that sounds like the XLR is based on the C5, not the C6. Seems hard to base the XLR on something that does not yet exist.
The XLR and C6 ride on a slightly modified C5 chassis. The C6 was in the planning stages first, but the XLR is being built first for the following reasons:

The C5 still had shelf life in it
The XLR is using an already-existing engine with minor tweaks, whereas the C6 is not.
Setting up a luxury suspension is easier than a street-oriented performace suspension, saving development time.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:57 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

tom...

[Modified by Tom73, 7:28 AM 1/21/2003]
According to press information handed out by GM at the LA Auto Show, the XLR will begin production in March and be avaialable at Cadillac dealers in June. The XLR will share its chassis with the C6, which is a refined version of the C5 chassis. Many parts are new, but it looks very similar to casual observation.

The C6 is now well beyond the "mule" state. A mule is a very early prototype. The C6 program is probably finishing up the alpha build and proceding with building and testing of beta models, which are very close to production configuration.

Duke
Old 01-21-2003, 01:42 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Default Re: XLR and C6 (SWCDuke)

According to press information handed out by GM at the LA Auto Show, the XLR will begin production in March and be avaialable at Cadillac dealers in June.
This is currently on the C5Registry web site: http://www.c5registry.com/Members/hotnews.htm

"The Bowling Green plant is gearing up for a saleable build of the new XLR. Production of the XLR will switch to manufacturing validation build 4 (MVB) some time late next week or the week after, depending on availability of parts. According to John Spencer, production launch manager, the team is just finishing MVB 3 production . Eight cars were build turning this run.
On Thursday the 23rd and Friday the 24th, John Spencer, Jim Danahy, Wil Cooksey, Rick Robbins, Lisa Pirtle, John Love, and several performance car team members from Detroit, will take the MVB 3 builds on a Quality Evaluation Ride.

During the next two to three weeks, the decision of whether or not to transfer XLR production from non-saleable to saleable will be made. All quality parameters and all parts and processes will be evaluated to make this judgment."

tom...
Old 01-21-2003, 05:11 PM
verskel
Safety Car

Other than 'tuning' and 'tweaking' the basic suspension & configuration of chassis parts will appear to be identical from C5 to XLR to C6. :D

Remember that the C3 is virtually a C2 with an added 6" of frame to the rear section. This time it'll be a C5 with a -3" off the back. :lurk:

I doubt seriously that GM will stray very far from the C5 design. It's not cost effective since they are already changing the interior & body. :yesnod:
Old 01-22-2003, 12:21 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Default Re: XLR and C6 (verskel)

The C6/XLR chassis is completely re-engineered. Though some parts might be carried over, I expect most will be new.

The giveaway is the fact that the C6/XLR wheelbase is longer than the C5. From a practical standpoint, it's a new design.

Duke
Old 01-22-2003, 10:18 AM
Curtis A. Franz
Drifting

Default Re: XLR and C6 (SWCDuke)

The C6/XLR chassis is completely re-engineered. Though some parts might be carried over, I expect most will be new.

The giveaway is the fact that the C6/XLR wheelbase is longer than the C5. From a practical standpoint, it's a new design.

Duke
That minor wheelbase growth is for the 5 speed automatic in the XLR. I don't feel that that is a clue for a complete new engineering of the frame :chevy
Old 01-22-2003, 10:24 AM
verskel
Safety Car

Default Re: XLR and C6 (Curtis A. Franz)

...That minor wheelbase growth is for the 5 speed automatic in the XLR. I don't feel that that is a clue for a complete new engineering of the frame :chevy
:iagree: Doesn't mean a "re-design" of the frame. :nono: The C6 will essentially be a re-bodied C5 -minus a few inches....... mark my words & praise me later. :lol: :lol: :lol: :cheers:

Geeeesh.....you guys forget history all too quickly ~ one thing that has never changed is GM's tactics in maximizing their profits by sharing parts & platforms with other cars & previous generations. :chevy
Old 01-22-2003, 01:03 PM
Sandy S
Burning Brakes

The XLR may be first because it is not replacing anything. This means that it's design and styling has much more freedom.

The C6 needs to replace a C5 that is still selling well, look like a Corvette to most of people that "just know" what a Corvette looks like. It has to compete with some new competition, set the standard for the future, and just generally be all things to all possible past and future Corvette owners.

Besides that it has to be good, fast, reliable, meet its price targets, gov. regulations, and so on. A really difficult job to say the least. It will also benifit from having the XLR work out to bugs in some of the shared components.
Old 01-22-2003, 04:54 PM
verskel
Safety Car

Default Re: XLR and C6 (Sandy S)

....It will also benifit from having the XLR work out to bugs in some of the shared components.
What bugs ? ....like ergonomics, cup holders, subtitution of cheapo plastic parts, and computer re-programming ? :jester
Old 01-22-2003, 09:10 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I saw the XLR at the Philadelphia Auto Show this past weekend. They had an Electron Blue XLR on a turntable. The exhaust exits in the center like the C5, only instead of the mufflers being oval and mounting at each end of the bumber, this car had two big round mufflers mounted dead center under the car.

The chassis from what I could see looks C5. The XLR also uses radar to control the cruise control. If you get within one car length of the car infront of you, it will automatically slow the car down without braking.

The XLR also has nightvison, XM radio, and OnStar.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:54 PM
Troy Roberts
CF Co-Founder
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise In I Veteran
Cruise In II Veteran
Cruise In III Veteran
Cruise In IV Veteran
Cruise In V Veteran
Cruise In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Default Re: XLR and C6 (Corvette ED)

I saw an XLR on the road here just outside of Detroit. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera with me to get a shot of it on the road.

I did get some pictures at the autoshow though. Here you go.

Exhaust
Old 01-23-2003, 01:55 PM
Troy Roberts
CF Co-Founder
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise In I Veteran
Cruise In II Veteran
Cruise In III Veteran
Cruise In IV Veteran
Cruise In V Veteran
Cruise In VII Veteran

Default Re: XLR and C6 (Troy Roberts)

angle shot
Old 01-23-2003, 01:56 PM
Troy Roberts
CF Co-Founder
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise In I Veteran
Cruise In II Veteran
Cruise In III Veteran
Cruise In IV Veteran
Cruise In V Veteran
Cruise In VII Veteran

Default Re: XLR and C6 (Troy Roberts)

Interior
Old 01-23-2003, 08:08 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: XLR and C6 (Corvette ED)

I saw the XLR at the Philadelphia Auto Show this past weekend. They had an Electron Blue XLR on a turntable. The exhaust exits in the center like the C5, only instead of the mufflers being oval and mounting at each end of the bumber, this car had two big round mufflers mounted dead center under the car.
That gives some validity to the story that cirulated last year about a guy who bumped into a C5 with exhaust config like this in a detroit parking lot. Sorry I can't find the whole story, but maybe someone can.

Thanks for the photos, Troy. Did you happen to notice if the XLR was running on 18's front, 19's rear?
Old 01-23-2003, 09:15 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The C6 is still in the test mule phase.
WRONG!

Get notified of new replies

To XLR and C6

Old 01-23-2003, 09:16 PM
Troy Roberts
CF Co-Founder
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise In I Veteran
Cruise In II Veteran
Cruise In III Veteran
Cruise In IV Veteran
Cruise In V Veteran
Cruise In VII Veteran

Default Re: XLR and C6 (BQuicksilver)

Did you happen to notice if the XLR was running on 18's front, 19's rear?
No. I didn't notice. It was all I could do to keep my four year old still from running off while I snapped the photos. :lol:
Old 01-24-2003, 12:06 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Default Semantics

Seems to me this whole thread is nothing but quibbling over semantics.

.Jinx
Old 01-31-2003, 07:45 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

The XLR, the C5, and the C6 will ALL have the SAME chassis ! :cheers:
Then isn't the "C6" really just a re-freshed C5? Like what the C4 went through in the early 90's?

Quick Reply: XLR and C6