C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Edge Paint Crack. Opinion of Repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2024, 06:59 PM
meltblown
Heel & Toe

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello again. Thanks for the help on the issue with NPP solenoid. It's done and has a Mild2Wild on it now.

I ran into this yesterday and wanted to get an opinion of the scope of getting this repaired. I've had the 2009 a week and been going over it with a fine toothed comb to finally make it mine and ran across this that I didn't notice before. Here it is and wondering if it's minor and can be spotted in. It doesn't seem that the underlaying panel structure is really damaged a lot but suspect it may be slightly cracked when I press on it. We know what it's from as in clunking the door into something. Black finish and not bad after waxing it. Appreciate any insight. TIA

Last edited by meltblown; 02-12-2024 at 07:44 PM. Reason: delete this repeat
Old 02-12-2024, 07:26 PM
sramzzz
Drifting

Received 978 Likes on 629 Posts

You have duplicate posts on this. Also no picture so impossible for anyone to help you.
Old 02-12-2024, 07:34 PM
meltblown
Heel & Toe

Copy I could see it and just redid it so wondering if it can be seen now
Old 02-12-2024, 07:44 PM
sramzzz
Drifting

Yea it is visible now. Looks like a spider crack. I would find a good body shop and see what they say. A competent shop should be able to fix and blend the paint where it is not noticeable.
The following users liked this post:
meltblown (02-12-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 09:50 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 446 Likes on 383 Posts

Best advice... go to a body shop.

IMO The paint needs to be removed to the panel surface and the spider cracks, in the panel, need to be repair/ filled.
I do not believe that the interior door card/ panel needs to be removed to get behind the cracks for this repair.
This repair will probably need a solid/ good foot of painted area removed.
I could disagree with our co-member sram, as I don't think blending will be an invisible repair; the entire door panel will need to be repainted.
I also do not believe, since the color is black, that blending onto the quarter and fender will be required, so any paint work/ repair is only on the door.
But the orange peel of the fender/ quarter will need to be matched/ emulated on the door's new paint.
Then depending on quality, you may wish to remove all of the paint on the outside door panel to retain the paint's mil thickness.
Further, remove the weatherstrip at the top outside of the door and the door handle.
(can't recall if the weatherstrip is reuseable or if a new one is needed)
The repair can certainly be done without removing the door from the car, but again quality; one could remove the door to ensure the door edges are perfected and no overspray at all spreads the jams, hinges, decals, weatherstrips, and all.
(if the door is removed, don't forget to touch up the painted hinge bolts from any wrench "witness" marks)
I could only guess on the cost.... 6-8 labor hours at shop rate + materials and yes, an easy repair.
(r&i door 1.0, weatherstrips/ handle 1.0, strip paint 1.0, repair cracks 1.0, prime/sand/block .5, repaint w/ clear 2.5, polish .5)

Good luck.

Old 02-13-2024, 10:54 AM
Let It Ride
Melting Slicks

Received 926 Likes on 534 Posts

Yes you hit on two key points. The orange peel will have to matched. And the door will have to come off. At that point it makes the job perfect. When someone keyed my C6 door at the time my body shop said the easiest way to do this is to take the door off. Those were the first two things he told me. He also butt painted the door, never went into a adjacent panel.
Old 02-13-2024, 03:29 PM
meltblown
Heel & Toe

Took it to a local shop and there is a small crack extending in about 3/8". He said his way to do is to repair the crack, remove the window and weather strip. Then basecoat that area and reshoot the entire door with clear. $825 total. I'm going to check a couple of more places as to their opinion. Corvettes are not that big of a market in this part of TX. More in the Houston and Dallas areas.
Old 02-13-2024, 07:22 PM
meltblown
Heel & Toe

My issue right now is if the cure is worse than the disease if someone f's it up. I plan on holding on to this car till I'm dead or can't drive it. I tend to think the trans fluid hasn't been changed in the last 15 years and maybe should focus on the real stuff for right now that could cause issues. A little minor body damage can always be fixed.
Old 02-13-2024, 08:14 PM
sramzzz
Drifting

If your car needs mechanical attention I would address that first. I personally would have to have that spot fixed at some point as it would drive me crazy.

Find a quality shop that understands how to fix these panels and you should be happy with the outcome.
Old 02-13-2024, 08:28 PM
meltblown
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by sramzzz
If your car needs mechanical attention I would address that first. I personally would have to have that spot fixed at some point as it would drive me crazy.

Find a quality shop that understands how to fix these panels and you should be happy with the outcome.
No mechanical issues so far but need to go get some things done like the tranny fluid and see underneath it on a lift to check out the condition of things like leaks, damage etc. The key fobs and the related settings are a PITA. My C5 was much friendlier. I love this thing. It makes the previous 3 obsolete that I've owned. The LS3 is the ****.

Last edited by meltblown; 02-13-2024 at 08:34 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Door Edge Paint Crack. Opinion of Repair

Quick Reply: Door Edge Paint Crack. Opinion of Repair