C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

super bad gas smell and fuel gauge being iffy

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 10:49 AM
loserz51
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default super bad gas smell and fuel gauge being iffy

Took my 08 corvette on a road trip to Dallas for tx2k and ever since I’ve gotten home it’s been having problems. 2 biggest ones have been the fuel gauge not working and a super bad fuel smell after letting the car sit for a couple days.

For the smell, there’s no gas on the ground, just a terrible smell. It had this same problem about 5 months ago but the smell wasn’t as strong, and it went away once I started driving it consistently.

For the gauge, it randomly shut off during the drive and started saying “fuel low” and “service fuel system”. Gauge came back with no issues after disconnecting and reconnecting battery. Happened again a couple days later, and fixed itself after driving it another 100 miles.

Could these be related? Or is this gonna be another day of watching my car drain my wallet as I have to buy 20 new parts for it?
Old 03-25-2024, 11:44 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,846 Likes on 1,176 Posts

The fuel smell could be this but not sure if the gauge problem could be related https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ty-recall.html

Don’t be fooled by the ‘recall’ in the title. There isn’t one and the special warranty has expired.
Old 03-25-2024, 12:53 PM
rbwinston
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 263 Likes on 188 Posts

Common issue with C6's, unfortunately. Both tanks need to come down, replace crossover tube and pumps. Plenty of video's on the site and on the internet about it.
Old 03-25-2024, 09:21 PM
sirdano
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 134 Posts

Dealer 45k corvette shop 26K on my auto 2009 mine was crack at the elbow on driver side
Old 03-27-2024, 08:08 AM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,143 Likes on 712 Posts

Sit back, grab a beer and read literally thousands of posts on these two issues..... which are likely not related.

Most common issue with the fuel smell is a cracked hose nipple on the left tank pump.
Most common issue with an erratic gas gauge is deposits on the right tank fuel lever sensor.

Smell fix.....replace left tank pump. GM had a special service bulletin to replace pumps but C6s are beyond the 10-year period.
Gauge fix....try Techron to clean sensor sweep contacts. May not help and requires replacement of sensor. Scan for the DTC that should have been set when you got "service fuel" message. Likely P2068.

This is a costly, labor-intensive job and the parts are becoming increasing difficult to find.
Parts to do a complete job include:
Left & right tanks each need pump, level sensor, fuel feed tube.
Crossover tube and o-rings for the connector between the two tanks.

Good Luck!

Old 03-27-2024, 09:39 AM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 222 Likes on 143 Posts

If you drop the drivers fuel tank to replace the leaking fuel pump, I'd highly suggest dropping the passenger tank while it is apart and replacing the fuel sender in it at the same time so you don't have to do the job twice. Techron won't be able to fix a broken sending unit where the wiper arms are bent on them. That's what happened to mine.

Old 03-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Dibiase
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM sold a lot of 6th generation corvettes, and this fuel pump problem seems to be pretty common and getting more common as these cars age. I understand GM may have stopped making OEM parts but I'm surprise there doesn't seem to be any aftermarket options. It would be nice to find an aftermarket option with a metal elbow instead of the plastic oem option.

Old 04-08-2024, 10:37 AM
loserz51
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

thank you all for the help! gonna do a bit more research on the smell to see if it’s something I can even afford to fix.
in terms of the fuel gauge, it fixed itself after replacing the battery, so I’ll just take that as a win and call it a day

Get notified of new replies

To super bad gas smell and fuel gauge being iffy

Quick Reply: super bad gas smell and fuel gauge being iffy