C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fibre

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 09:05 AM
Ryskin7
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Carbon Fibre

Hello, I’ve got a base c6 I’m looking to get a set of zr1 style aero kit for it. (Spitter,Spoiler,Side Sk) first question was,

Extreme Online Store :
their “ real carbon fibre “ option, based off the price im heavily assuming its ABS plastic wrapped in real weeved carbon? If so, how is the quality?

if the quality is poor, or overpriced in your guys opinion, wonder if I got the ABS plastic unpainted and bought a real carbon wrap myself and put it on if it’s that easy and if so , where would I buy the real carbon wraps?
thank you very much
Collin
Old 03-28-2024, 09:33 AM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Received 1,392 Likes on 899 Posts

You should compare Extreme Online Store to the stuff that C7 Carbon sells.

C7 Carbon | Corvette & Camaro Aerodynamic Car Parts

Old 03-28-2024, 09:40 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,501 Likes on 2,825 Posts

For something like a splitter that's going to get damaged, I'd absolutely buy the ABS version and wrap it with a CF vinyl.
The following users liked this post:
Ryskin7 (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 09:57 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,112 Posts

All I can say is don't cheap out and you won't end up with this:

So for round two, I went with APR. Not only is it fully functional aero, it's also more durable and looks fantastic.

Old 03-28-2024, 09:58 AM
Ryskin7
Advanced

Originally Posted by jbc1995fb
You should compare Extreme Online Store to the stuff that C7 Carbon sells.

C7 Carbon | Corvette & Camaro Aerodynamic Car Parts
hmm, is that a good comparison? Considering as far as I know c7 is absolutely all real carbon where as EOS claims real carbon wrap on their abs products?
Old 03-28-2024, 09:59 AM
Ryskin7
Advanced

Originally Posted by FAUEE
For something like a splitter that's going to get damaged, I'd absolutely buy the ABS version and wrap it with a CF vinyl.
I agree, however where can I get CF that is actually real carbon to wrap the ABS in? I don’t like the dipped nor do I like the look of fake wrap from where like VIVID.. it looks super glossy and clear coats always go in a couple summers.. to what I’ve heard.
Old 03-28-2024, 10:05 AM
Ryskin7
Advanced

Originally Posted by VetteVinnie
All I can say is don't cheap out and you won't end up with this:

So for round two, I went with APR. Not only is it fully functional aero, it's also more durable and looks fantastic.

can not disagree with how amazing it looks or how amazing the quality is, I just can’t afford that or c7 products.
Old 03-28-2024, 10:07 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,381 Likes on 1,642 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have a friend that put the EOS kit on his z06, Honestly the quality was shockingly good for what he paid for it in my opinion. Its by no means the best out there but looked pretty good for what it was. I could be mistaken but I dont think its their ABS with an skin, they appeared to be full carbon pieces.
Old 03-28-2024, 10:18 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,501 Likes on 2,825 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryskin7
I agree, however where can I get CF that is actually real carbon to wrap the ABS in? I don’t like the dipped nor do I like the look of fake wrap from where like VIVID.. it looks super glossy and clear coats always go in a couple summers.. to what I’ve heard.
There's no shortage of options for gloss carbon fiber vinyl. I'd bet@StayinStock opuld recommend one. I can't speak to longevity but I wouldn't expect a splitter to see a ton of sun like a roof panel, so I wouldn't expect it to fade that quickly, but since you'd be wrapping it with like $20 in vinyl or something like that, even if it only lasted a couple years, no big deal rewrap it and it looks brand new again.

I'm using tinybot on the mirrors of my TBSS. Stuff looks legitimately like real CF. Pretty nuts how good the modern vinyls look. This was my first attempt, it didn't quite turn out (because I have no idea wtf I'm doing, no fault of the product), but you can get a feel for how realistic it looks. Tinybot isn't even the most realistic looking one on the market.

Old 03-28-2024, 10:33 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 382 Likes on 316 Posts

Yes pick your poison here. I think some splitters break easier as they don't have a bottom. Several places sell kit packages with all the pieces. If looking for durable I think the ACS kit should get mentioned too. https://acscomposite.com/products/c6-aeropack

The splitter on that one is fully enclosed not just a floppy top piece with no bottom.
Vettelagged (03-29-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 10:34 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,381 Likes on 1,642 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Im surprisingly the opposite on Carbon Fiber vinyl, I try to steer customers away from it. I haven't found one yet that satisfies me in realistic looks. I'm hearing good things about the new CYS that metro is carrying but they've struggled to keep it in stock so I haven't been able to try it yet (upon pulling the link I see its currently back in stock so probably going to order a small sheet).

I've personally had pretty poor experience with TinyBot quality (not just carbon but overall), but I believe im the exception there and not the rule. We just have not had great luck with it.

I'm also told flexi-sheilds PPF carbon is really good but Metro no longer carries it and I haven't found a new supplier yet. That being said it would be super hard to work with on something shaped the way our splitters are. Full disclaimer if I found one that I thought was a good match for real carbon I'd be all for it... and on a car with no real carbon pieces it can be an easy sell. The problem is when you put it next to real carbon (in my case my headlights and spoiler) its glaringly obvious.

I recently did a BMW i4 roof in one of the 5d carbons (i cant recall the brand) and it looked horrible compared to the real carbon on the car. That being said though the customer was thrilled with it so it all depends on your level of tolerance lol.

https://metrorestyling.com/products/...43567533686953
FAUEE (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 11:23 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,112 Posts

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Yes pick your poison here. I think some splitters break easier as they don't have a bottom. Several places sell kit packages with all the pieces. If looking for durable I think the ACS kit should get mentioned too. https://acscomposite.com/products/c6-aeropack

The splitter on that one is fully enclosed not just a floppy top piece with no bottom.
I took a look at theirs, and they are not available in carbon fiber. It also looks like they don't have the fascia reinforcement available for their ZR1 splitter.
Old 03-29-2024, 03:30 PM
PAPAYOYO
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 114 Posts

wish someone mademthe original GS z06 front spoiler..

Get notified of new replies

To Carbon Fibre

Quick Reply: Carbon Fibre